Maryland post game

Drroogh

2 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I’ve had an overly emotional reaction to certain events. I’m going to wager you have as well. Doesn’t excuse it, but not a reason to crucify the kid.

Not one of my best parent moments when after my daughters last HS softball game, she could be overheard by EVERYONE unloading on her coach for the four years she felt completely disrespected by her coach. Complete with a long list of expletive's! To put it in perspective, she was the only one to get past 1st base in a sectional loss to the best pitcher in the league,

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not buying Jalen Smith's apology quite yet. He was FAR too animated, for far too long, for it not to be sincere trash talk, not to mention totally unsportsmanlike from my vantage point. I don't have a problem with him "bragging, or taunting a little" but this was over the top in my book.

I hope we get them in the B1G Tourney and go right at him, and put his loud mouth on the bench in foul trouble in the first 2 minutes. He's a good player, but he doesn't have to be a jerk at the same time.

Edit: And I totally agree that Smith did NOT write that apology but a PR person did.

I am very proud of this team.  Fell back large in the first half. But came back strong to start the second. In the end, I could not figure out why Joey was not in there to finish out the game.

Was a loss. But not a bad loss, even if it was at home.  As I posted the other day. With the hardest SOS in the country finishing out the season. Unless there is a complete blowout. And there will be more losses to come.  However, IMHO, there will not be any bad losses to finish out the season.

17 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

He stomped on the center court Indiana emblem and screamed "this is my court".  I guess that's fine to some but seems against the spirit of college athletics.  Its called respecting the game and your opponent.  You'll understand someday.  Maturity takes time. 

Some kids just don't have the respect for anything that came before them and thinks the world revolves around them.

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I have no idea why he lost his mind in such an aggressive and personal way.   But, I’m glad Turgeon got their PR guy to write that up.  

Yeah, gotta believe that apology came from Turgeons foot in his A$$ instead of sincerity! 

1 minute ago, Parakeet Jones said:

This is one of those losses that makes me think the next game can’t get here soon enough. 

Amen.  I’d take my chances with the team that played today against anyone this year.

Also, welcome to the big stage Jerome Hunter. Stay awhile.

Honestly, Smith looks like a top five draft pick to me.  Very impressive.  Big guy, good athlete, can shoot.  He’s got a skill set the NBA will drool over.  Why reduce yourself to act like a jerk?  I have no idea why he went berserk against a bunch of midwesterner fans.  Kind of bizarre.  That will be memorable in a negative way over an extremely impressive performance as a top player.  

2 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Yeah, gotta believe that apology came from Turgeons foot in his A$$ instead of sincerity! 

I’ve had to put shoe leather to gluteus maximus a few times with my kids to get an apology out of them. Hell, I’d say all parents have. All part of it. Coaching is a similar role.

8 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Honestly, Smith looks like a top five draft pick to me.  Very impressive.  Big guy, good athlete, can shoot.  He’s got a skill set the NBA will drool over.  Why reduce yourself to act like a jerk?  I have no idea why he went berserk against a bunch of midwesterner fans.  Kind of bizarre.  That will be memorable in a negative way over an extremely impressive performance as a top player.  

To me. That's why Joey should have been in there at the end.  The only guy who was not on the court who could have altered Maryland's J. Smith's in close shot.  Trayce played off of Smith in the last several minutes. Understandably so, trying not to foul out of the game. But Trayce laid off so much, it allowed Smith primarily and others to get some easy buckets to not only stay in the game, but to take charge again.

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

On a side note, if (when) TJD develops a 3 point shot, I can see him playing the way Smith did today. Both teams played well, but MD made the plays at the end and had the best player on the court. I'm excited for the remainder of the season. I think the last time I said that at the end of January was 2015-16! It's exciting to see IU beat 2 top 15 teams (FSU & MSU) and almost beat another.

11 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Because he's a kid. Nothing more nothing less.

1 minute ago, Bowhunter said:

Smith isn’t fooling me with that apology. I’m sure Turdgeon and the rest of staff told him to apologize.

Of course....but it's not like when Griffin at Illinois stomped on the Purdue kid....not a peep. It's a gesture. It does mean something. Underwood even was more ticked at 2 game suspension. Even if a PR guy handled....at least it was done, right?

I can honestly say I missed, Maryland's J.Smith stomp on IU's mid court logo. If that is what he did.  But what about our cheerleaders, protecting the logo?  Seriously, after a similar incident years ago. The IU cheerleaders would always race to the logo, to protect it.

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

Most kids have had coaching, if not parenting, that teaches them to act with sportsmanship even when you’re emotional.  His behavior is a reflection of his upbringing and program. 

I'll let others paint those societal broad strokes. Kid won a game after they threw it away to begin with. Guess I don't think it's important to see or define the distinction. I'll let the moral police figure that one out.

Archived