Maryland post game

Drroogh

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Coach1K said:

I will agree with those that say Devonte should not have been in the last 3 minutes. 

I will argue that if not for Green we wouldn't have been in the position to win the game.  You can't have your cake and eat it too.

29 minutes ago, IDontWannaLargeFarva2 said:

You have definitely been around the block a few times milehi, nothing gets past you. When trouble comes a rolling into town, you have a knack for tossing it back out in its ass.

You’re kind of like an old west sheriff in that way.

Be careful, VERY careful! 

A loss here is not a big deal, painful indeed, but nothing that will wreck our season. Honestly, we are not, and were not going to win any championships this year. We will be in the tourney and could gain some much needed experience for next year.  This season has been about Archie establishing his brand of basketball. It appears that we have our coach and a product on the court that should make it easier to recruit.

7 minutes ago, rico said:

I will argue that if not for Green we wouldn't have been in the position to win the game.  You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Correct me if I am wrong. However, I believe DeVonte had 16 points today against Maryland.

And from IU Athletics, I give you :

Watch: Devonte Green Highlights - Indiana University Athletics

16 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Random thought that I meant to mention earlier.  The passing between the big men was outstanding.  It wasn’t a one way thing.  Kudos to all involved in this respect, including the coaches.  It is obviously something they emphasized especially after the half and something they’ve worked on.  

All day long. Those 2 back to back possessions with TJD and Davis were beautiful.

This team is playing better basketball.  I realize we melted down but our toughness is much, much higher.  

For those writing off the road games, they are not easy but if we continue playing as tough as we have been, I think we have a chance to surprise people and win 2-3.  

I got a good look at Michigan play at home against Illinois.  That’s winnable.  They are not scary at all.  

Penn State.  Good team. Stevens, who we recruited, is a really good player.  But winnable.  We need Justin on D.

Ohio State will get after us but they’ve been in a funk.  I wouldn’t write it off.  

Minny, not automatic but we can give them a good game. 

Let’s come out with our hair on fire and bring it.  I think we can get a couple of road games.  

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I realize we melted down but our toughness is much, much higher.

I don't think it was a melt down. It was some bad possessions in a tight game against a very, very good team.

I agree our toughness is higher. It was a great comeback against these guys. We've got a lot of talent on this team. And it's well coached.

That's what I think, anyway.

44 minutes ago, rico said:

I agree with this ...until late in the second half he was perfect from the floor with no turnovers ...when he’s scorching hot he’s a huge asset and I think arch has realized when that is wavering and he should pull the hook ...the way he played to that point I can see why arch justified leaving him in but I still was nervous about it ....in a tight game decision making is critical in the last two minutes ...he’s the type that could hit a big shot to win it or take two bad ones that sink you .....just never know 

39 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Correct me if I am wrong. However, I believe DeVonte had 16 points today against Maryland.

And from IU Athletics, I give you :

Watch: Devonte Green Highlights - Indiana University Athletics

I think he might have played his best game ( outside Florida state ) I just feel uneasy riding him when the game is on the line because he’s so inconsistent especially with decision making ...unquestionably talented you just don’t know if you’re getting jekyl or Hyde 

33 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I think he might have played his best game ( outside Florida state ) I just feel uneasy riding him when the game is on the line because he’s so inconsistent especially with decision making ...unquestionably talented you just don’t know if you’re getting jekyl or Hyde 

Definitely Green's best game since Florida State.  A lot of season, yet to go.  All the more reason why you leave him in the game.  Don't destroy what he does bring to the team, by destroying your and his confidence in him.  Rather, build that confidence for what is yet to come.

The biggest positive for me was that we shot the ball with confidence today.  You could see that all of our players thought every shot was going in.  Glad to see us hit close to 50%.  I didn't even mind Hunter's falling sideways 3 off the side of the backboard.  It was one of the ugliest shots you'll ever see, but I think sometimes we are too hesitant and don't shoot with any confidence.  Hopefully we keep playing loose and shoot like this moving forward.

I thought the coaching was pretty good.  I've been pretty critical, but not many issues after today.  I wish we would have gone inside more in the 1st half.  I think we were scared of Smith and let that keep us from taking it inside.  We adjusted well to that.  My only major issue was the Hunter turnover against the press.  No reason to have a lineup of Rob, Green, Hunter, Smith, and TJD in the game when we know they are probably going to press.  On top of that, we had Rob take the ball out, so of our 4 guys on the court, only 1 of them has much experience with the ball in their hands.  Would have like to see either Al or Franklin in instead of Hunter.  At a minimum, have Hunter take it out and get it to Rob or Green and let them break the press.

Maryland is a really good team. We had them beat, just didn’t put the game away the last 1:20 of the game. 
I am not blaming ref, but after the last few weeks of a player biting another player, stepping on other players , fights breaking out at the end of games. I was amazed that J Smith didn’t get a technical for his actions after he hit the winning shot. He was actually walking toward the IU bench you could read his lips! Then they couldn’t get him to calm down in the huddle he was hollowing at the fans. I am sure no ref wants to make that call at that time, but that’s how fights break out! 

3 hours ago, GoshenFan84 said:

I'm obviously upset about the loss but the way MD shot in he first half, this team would have folded and lost by 20 if this was 2 weeks ago. 

I had to listen to  the radio call the 2nd half. Was the officiating as bad as it seemed? Also Fisch thought Smith traveled on the game winner 

First half refs let Maryland travel twice.  Second half Maryland had shot 10 free throws before we took our first.  From that point on it got better.  

Game was definitely a gut punch...

Trayce got a great shot off...

I was disappointed in the way we played the last 3 minutes or so...we'd been doing so well getting it down low and either scoring or getting the foul...

Stats all say we should have won...but they had 2 kids who're going to be All Big 10 selections at the end of the year (I'd figure Smith 2nd team and Cowan 3rd) that made plays...

We just couldn't answer...

37 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I re-watched the last possession to  look at something I believed I saw live. On TJDs shot, it appears the ball is still in the cylinder when a MD player slaps it away. Unfortunately, we didn’t get a close up replay

Smith was calling for a goal tend, refs were already swallowing whistles 

36 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Definitely Green's best game since Florida State.  A lot of season, yet to go.  All the more reason why you leave him in the game.  Don't destroy what he does bring to the team, by destroying your and his confidence in him.  Rather, build that confidence for what is yet to come.

Landon Turner?

4 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i may be crazy, but i don't see it as a lock at all.  we are showing signs, but even if we start playing really really well consistency, do you really see us winning any of our remaining road games?  and are you even that confident that we win all of our home ones?  i'm going to predict that after we lose the next 2 @ Penn St. and @ OSU people will really be going nuts.  i won't be any more negative than i am now because i see that coming.  question is can we win all of the home ones and will that get us in?  if so, i'll be happy!

If we win the rest of our home games we will be 10-10 in conference and have 20 wins. Considering the strength of the BT I’d be shocked if that did not get us in. Would be a WHOLE lot more comfortable if we could split the PSU and OSU road games.

Will be interesting to see how the team plays after the last two very intense games. Can they keep it up on the road????

52 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I re-watched the last possession to  look at something I believed I saw live. On TJDs shot, it appears the ball is still in the cylinder when a MD player slaps it away. Unfortunately, we didn’t get a close up replay

At the very least it looked like Justin had a good look at a tip in and Jalen Smith went over his back...

IMG_20200126_183656.jpg

9 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

gonna get ugly on here from the same people who thought all of our problems were fixed and we were tourney bound.  1 loss does not mean fire the coach, while 1 win does not mean all is well.  not gonna be a tourney team this year.  CAM should be and will be back.  we won't make it next year though.  then he should probably be gone.  i hope i am wrong.  

I think you are.  No reason to think this team won't go dancing...and no reason to think next year's team won't be better.

Archived