Maryland post game

Drroogh

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess you just needed to read this idiots post because he sounded like a deranged lunatic.  It is part of his past and should be said but not at this time.  It was  just how evil this poster sounded and it was not just for show.

Oh, I understand what you pointed out about the post. No argument there, I just wanted to point out that even the media like CNN prefers to scrape up the crap at the bottom of the barrel first, rather than showing a modicum of respect for someone who died tragically. That was the clASS act I was referring to.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DWB said:

Oh, I understand what you pointed out about the post. No argument there, I just wanted to point out that even the media like CNN prefers to scrape up the crap at the bottom of the barrel first, rather than showing a modicum of respect for someone who died tragically. That was the clASS act I was referring to.

I should know better than go over there but it does make you appreciate this board so much more.  What I saw over there our mods would have taken some of the garbage out but they let them stay over there.  I stopped posting over there and today was only about the 3rd time since I left that I even looked at that basketball board.

22 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I understand the frustration of the loss and I’ve been more critical than anyone ( particularly of our backcourt, inconsistent effort, and unintelligent play) but I thought there were more positives than  playing hard and shooting well from outside.  Our assist to turnover ratio was the best it’s been all year and three in a row have now been more assists than turnovers.  We also out rebounded a tough team and had a great chance/look to win at the end.  Don’t get me wrong I’d rather win but this is a loss I can feel proud of our team afterwards AND feel like it’s still a positive step 

Eh, we did play pretty well all around for the first 15 minutes of the second half.  But that inability to sustain that level of play for a full game has been one of this team’s biggest issues for a while now.  And I’m not really one for moral victories, especially in a loss at home.  Maybe we can say today was a positive step if we take these next two on the road.  For now, it was just a missed opportunity... Feeling proud of the team after a loss won’t help the tournament resume at the end of the year.

Just reviewed the box score. We won essentially every statistical category except they made 2 more 3 pointers than we did. We had a better FT%, better 3 pt%, 22 assists on 30 field goals (amazing), they made 4 more free throws, but a lower % than us.

We played hard, and had a good chance to win the game, but we missed the shot. But that wasn't the reason we lost IMO. I've never seen anybody shoot lights out to the extent that MD did at the start of the game. And we could have (and have in the past) folded our tent, and given up. But the guys fought back, and made it a really competitive game. MD is a pretty good team.

I'm more optimistic about the long term direction Archie has us on at this point, than any time in the past 3 years. And I don't think we're done quite yet. I don't expect us to "win out", but I'd be surprised if we weren't competitive any other games.

Go Hoosiers!

59 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Eh, we did play pretty well all around for the first 15 minutes of the second half.  But that inability to sustain that level of play for a full game has been one of this team’s biggest issues for a while now.  And I’m not really one for moral victories, especially in a loss at home.  Maybe we can say today was a positive step if we take these next two on the road.  For now, it was just a missed opportunity... Feeling proud of the team after a loss won’t help the tournament resume at the end of the year.

I was on that same page prior to the last 4 game stretch.  Also I’d normally be as concerned about you about seeding so don’t think I’m putting you down because I get your perspective entirely ...this year however I just don’t think it matters because 1. We aren’t expected to be a championship contender so making the tourney is a great step towards building to the future 2. If we want to make noise I don’t think in a best case scenario we are a 1 or 2 seed and with the way this season is shaking seeds 3-12 seem PRETTY interchangeable to me...as long as we end up in that range we can make noise playing like we did today especially with their being no clear favorites 

39 minutes ago, DWB said:

Just reviewed the box score. We won essentially every statistical category except they made 2 more 3 pointers than we did. We had a better FT%, better 3 pt%, 22 assists on 30 field goals (amazing), they made 4 more free throws, but a lower % than us.

We played hard, and had a good chance to win the game, but we missed the shot. But that wasn't the reason we lost IMO. I've never seen anybody shoot lights out to the extent that MD did at the start of the game. And we could have (and have in the past) folded our tent, and given up. But the guys fought back, and made it a really competitive game. MD is a pretty good team.

I'm more optimistic about the long term direction Archie has us on at this point, than any time in the past 3 years. And I don't think we're done quite yet. I don't expect us to "win out", but I'd be surprised if we weren't competitive any other games.

Go Hoosiers!

Most importantly was those 22 assists were against only a handful of turnovers ! I couldn’t agree more ...this is one of those losses you can live with 

For all those who bought the load of crap about the toothless hill-jack Wildcat fans no longer considering IU a rival, get a load of this thread from Rupp Rafters:

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/indiana-vs-maryland.314895/

Looks like someone is still a little sore about the Watshot and losing two of the last three against IU.  Of course, they bring up the 3rd game that they won and ignored the last meeting completely.  Even though Cal refuses to play in Bloomington...oh yeah...they still consider IU a rival.

7 hours ago, DWB said:

Go Hoosiers!

I'm still mad about the little things we did that pissed that game away...even after sleeping on it.

Valuing the ball matters, making your free throws matters, understanding in game situations matters...we failed at all facets of the game in the last few minutes and it cost us what should have been a win.

On another note, when Miller is getting the pathetic officiating we got last night in our own building, he needs to whine and throw a fit until the calls go his way.  I am tired of going to every other BIG venue with the expectation of getting screwed and then not getting that same favorable treatment at Indiana.  He needs to go nuts earlier in the game when the fix is in like that.

17 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Valuing the ball matters, making your free throws matters, understanding in game situations matters...we failed at all facets of the game in the last few minutes and it cost us what should have been a win.

That pretty much sums it up right there.  Very well said.

This is the point where the rubber hits the road as to how much progress this team's made and will continue to make. The last 4 games or so have been very encouraging. Although, obviously, yesterday's loss was a massive let down. This final - brutal - gauntlet of a schedule we've got is going to show what we're really made of. Can we overcome the disappointment of the agonizing MD loss in the face of the toughest schedule in the country? Can we defend home court? Can we possibly steal one more road win? If we do most or all of those things, we are a tournament team. And we will be able to say we've taken the next step. Otherwise, that some frustration will remain.

No loss is a good loss but I think there are too many positives to be too upset other than the L. We had a 2 ft shot from our best player not ho down. If you tell me we could have that scenario each game the rest of the way I will take it and will pleased with the results.  I dont say the Moral victory crap but a loss like this should make the fire burn just a little more for the next gamep

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I'm still mad about the little things we did that pissed that game away...even after sleeping on it.

On another note, when Miller is getting the pathetic officiating we got last night in our own building, he needs to whine and throw a fit until the calls go his way.  I am tired of going to every other BIG venue with the expectation of getting screwed and then not getting that same favorable treatment at Indiana.  He needs to go nuts earlier in the game when the fix is in like that.

I’ve been literally screaming about valuing the ball all year ...ESPECIALLY to our back court because their lack of intelligent play and their carelessness with the basketball has put us in bad positions.  I know we had a less than ideal last couple minutes but 22 assists to 5 turnovers is about as high an efficiency rating as you’ll find in a college game anywhere and they’ve outpaced assists to turnovers three straight games.  Should we have won ( up 6 with a little over a minute )? Yes...at least 95 times out of 100 we should win. But the things that have been our biggest peoblems 1. Consistent effort 2. Iq and valuing the ball and 3. Three point and foul shooting were not only not problems last night but we did them at a high level ( nearly 50% from three and 70% from the line ).   That was all in spite of what you pointed out was some periods of rough officiating.  We had what may have been our best played game with a first half they shot the lights out and some missed opportunities in the last 50 seconds.  

It's rare that a loss could be encouraging, but that wasn't the same team that got taken to the woodshed by Wisconsin.  In a game where we couldn't have bought a call against an opponent that was white hot to start out, we stayed under control.  We made outside shots.  We took more smart shots than dumb ones.  We kept the tempo up, but didn't rush. 

And that sequence of possessions where De'Ron and TJD traded buckets/assists was just gorgeous to watch.   And a tip of the cap to De'Ron for that.  He's always been a great passer out of the post, and he's apparently passing his craft on to TJD.  They looked like mirrors of each other on those two plays.  No, De'Ron won't ever be the player he could have been, but he's still having a positive impact....if only through teaching/coaching. 

20 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I’ve been literally screaming about valuing the ball all year ...ESPECIALLY to our back court because their lack of intelligent play and their carelessness with the basketball has put us in bad positions.  I know we had a less than ideal last couple minutes but 22 assists to 5 turnovers is about as high an efficiency rating as you’ll find in a college game anywhere and they’ve outpaced assists to turnovers three straight games.  Should we have won ( up 6 with a little over a minute )? Yes...at least 95 times out of 100 we should win. But the things that have been our biggest peoblems 1. Consistent effort 2. Iq and valuing the ball and 3. Three point and foul shooting were not only not problems last night but we did them at a high level ( nearly 50% from three and 70% from the line ).   That was all in spite of what you pointed out was some periods of rough officiating.  We had what may have been our best played game with a first half they shot the lights out and some missed opportunities in the last 50 seconds.  

To play your best game of the year and lose because of stupid play in the last 3 minutes is not something I am willing to chalk up as a moral victory...sorry.  The way that game ended was bad.

10 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I agree about not liking  moral victories but what I like is that I have seen a lot of improvement from this team in the last month and to me that is encouraging.  I think us older fans look back and think that every game RMK coached was a perfect game and that his players did not make mistakes.  We have selective memoires and just remember the great teams and seasons but there were also some average seasons and teams as well.  I think sometimes we hold this program to such a high standard that it is hard to reach and some will not ever be satisfied.

I’ve definitely enjoyed the progress we have seen from the team these last few games. They have definitely played harder, and it’s awesome to see Hunter start to come around. He’s such a long big body that once he gets his shot down he’s really gonna be fun to watch. He’s always got a smile on his face and I’m glad to see him having fun out there. You can tell he appreciates and enjoys getting to contribute to this team.

The only one thing I fear.....yes, we obviously played great the past two games against two highly ranked teams in MSU and Maryland, but they were indeed at home behind our crowd, which is where we always get up for huge games and usually play well. Although I have seen a huge step forward in the way this team has been playing, I reaallly hope it translates to the road against stiff competition. Penn State isn’t a push over by any means this year, which we all know, but at the same time, if we play like we are capable of then we can definitely beat them. If the team really has turned the type of corner we believe we are seeing, then hopefully they carry a positive mental attitude with them to Penn State after such a heartbreaker to Maryland. Sometimes I feel like the team plays a little timid/scared on the road, but I’d like to think that based off the type of effort we have seen the past few games, those types of lapses are in the past. After yesterday’s loss, Penn State can’t get here soon enough.

10 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

To play your best game of the year and lose because of stupid play in the last 3 minutes is not something I am willing to chalk up as a moral victory...sorry.  The way that game ended was bad.

I'm not the most positive fan, in fact I'm pretty pessimistic, but this is the most well played offensive game this team had all season.  Archie's record in close games is impressive, we are bound to have 1 or 2 of these eventually.  I dont have much to complain about after this one. 

- If that's what we can expect out of Jerome Hunter, we have a whole new team.

- Our guards seem to do a really nice job of penetrating late in the shot clock, but not at other times. Maybe it's just because the defense gives them that, but I think it's just because that's the only time they aggressively look to  make things happen.

- We gave up a lot of open 3's.

- Despite the above, you have to give Archie a lot of credit for our defense. Our guards are not particularly good at stopping penetration, but we still defend well overall.

- Smith does a lot of away from the play, chippy shoving that gains no basketball advantage. I'm sure he doesn't always start it, but I hope he cuts that out - he's going to get called eventually.

24 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Yep It was, very bad , but it’s also teachable  ...and you know it I had my choice Dg wouldn’t be in a game in the last two minutes where we aren’t up 10...and it’s not a moral victory it’s a step towards where we want to be.  There is a difference between getting beat and not winning ( subtle but true )  we played well enough to be the team I want to be we just didn’t win.  You get to tournament time and Tell me we can go against any top 20 team and be down 1 with a decent shot in the paint from tjd to win the game and I’m taking that prior to every tip.  Also it’s fantastic to get that out of the way and have arch get a relatively young team in a better mode to deal with those types of games when they matter most ...march.  Anyone not happy with yesterday’s performance has awfully high expectations of the team as currently comprised...we will win almost every game we play with those numbers and effort level 

15 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

I’ve definitely enjoyed the progress we have seen from the team these last few games. They have definitely played harder, and it’s awesome to see Hunter start to come around. He’s such a long big body that once he gets his shot down he’s really gonna be fun to watch. He’s always got a smile on his face and I’m glad to see him having fun out there. You can tell he appreciates and enjoys getting to contribute to this team.

The only one thing I fear.....yes, we obviously played great the past two games against two highly ranked teams in MSU and Maryland, but they were indeed at home behind our crowd, which is where we always get up for huge games and usually play well. Although I have seen a huge step forward in the way this team has been playing, I reaallly hope it translates to the road against stiff competition. Penn State isn’t a push over by any means this year, which we all know, but at the same time, if we play like we are capable of then we can definitely beat them. If the team really has turned the type of corner we believe we are seeing, then hopefully they carry a positive mental attitude with them to Penn State after such a heartbreaker to Maryland. Sometimes I feel like the team plays a little timid/scared on the road, but I’d like to think that based off the type of effort we have seen the past few games, those types of lapses are in the past. After yesterday’s loss, Penn State can’t get here soon enough.

I agree ..we took one big step now the next one is doing it consistently on the road as well....that’s what I’m looking forward to seeing 

Archived