Maryland post game

Drroogh

13 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I keep going back to 2002 with certain things. Remember losing to Louisville with a game that never should have been scheduled. I'll say the same thing I said last week and the week before.....I see some stuff turning here gang. Little bit of anger never hurts too. 

Heard CAM say something along the lines of the players were pretty upset in the locker room.   Good, good, and more good.  Sadly we have had some teams over the past 3 years or so that you couldn't tell if they cared or not.  

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Yep It was, very bad , but it’s also teachable  ...and you know it I had my choice Dg wouldn’t be in a game in the last two minutes where we aren’t up 10...and it’s not a moral victory it’s a step towards where we want to be.  There is a difference between getting beat and not winning ( subtle but true )  we played well enough to be the team I want to be we just didn’t win.  You get to tournament time and Tell me we can go against any top 20 team and be down 1 with a decent shot in the paint from tjd to win the game and I’m taking that prior to every tip.  Also it’s fantastic to get that out of the way and have arch get a relatively young team in a better mode to deal with those types of games when they matter most ...march.  Anyone not happy with yesterday’s performance has awfully high expectations of the team as currently comprised...we will win almost every game we play with those numbers and effort level 

It was a home game.  If that was a road game, I would be less irritated.  But this year the Big Ten is like 80% at home and most of the home losses are coming from the bottom feeders.  I do not think we were winning the conference this year, but failure to protect your home court right now is the difference between upper tier and lower tier teams.

Any loss at home where you go into the final minute up 2 scores is a bad loss.  Yeah it was nice to see some of the guys step up and the effort was there, but to me it was the same stupid crap that we have been harping about all year that cost the game.  Missed free throws, bad decision making, and failure to understand ones place on the team.

It is a "learning" experience for sure.  The problem is that outside of a boneheaded play by a RS freshman, it isn't the young players I am irritated with.

8 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

I think most of us would have taken 1-1 in our last 2 games. 

Was this loss a heartbreaker? 100%. But you can see the strides this team is making. 

Onward. 

If we steal a few on the road that we are not expecting because this game was a turning point, then I am with you.  Right now though it is just a bad loss because it is a game you had in hand after playing pretty well.  Similar to the egg the football team laid in the Bowl Game.  You just need to finish out performances like that.

(Slept on) thoughts about the game and the team in general...

- Bad decisions - some may even say a choke job - cost us last night's game. And of course I'd rather win, but I'll take that loss over any other because looks at the alternatives of how we could lose a game: no effort, out played, and/or out man'd. All of those we weren't. We know we were the better team yesterday. We know we played well and had the grit to withstand an onslaught of 3 pointers in the first half. Give me that over a lack of effort or playing scared any day of the week. 

- Coaching: I will preface this by saying I've never coached basketball so obviously my thoughts could be taken with a grain of salt (even a half a grain of salt), and would welcome a more knowledgeable member setting me straight if needed be. First, I think there's a good chance CAM will be our guy, but just like in every other professions experience in the form of learning from past mistakes will need to run its course. Last night hurt because we are used to winning those close games this season; this is a testament to the coaching. Mistakes were made and line-ups questioned last night, but it will serve as a good learning experience. 

BUT while CAM eventually seems to make many of the correct decisions, there always made a little too late. They include: shortening the bench, blasting the team after the Minnesota loss last year, timeouts when the other team goes on a run, line-up changes (yesterday's first half was a perfect example of this), yanking a kid from the game when their shot isn't falling, etc. I think that I understand there is a fine line between letting the team learn it's way through struggle or letting the player's develop some confidence, but to what degree? I'm confident CAM knows what he's doing but I think sometimes he needs to fight his stubbornness to be proactive and allow himself to be reactive on occasion. I think this is what's been bugging me about Archie. Is this a fair assessment? 

I was very disappointed after the late collapse and loss yesterday.  So I didn't watch any of the post game.  I put the game out of my mind as much as possible for several hours.

This game had the look and feel of an elite 8 game between two very good teams.  Yes, it remains to be seen if either team especially IU can play this way consistently.  But the turtles took away our identity in this game and some of their weaknesses were their strengths, and they came within a few seconds and a close in shot of losing.  We are an elite team and getting to the line.  Maryland was 11/18 and we were 7/10 from the line.  They neutralized our rebounding.  We won total rebounds 33-29 and lost 10-9 on offensive rebounds.  Yet we found ways to make-up for these set backs and almost beat a top tier team. 

As many of you have pointed out, we will have to see whether we can do this on the road and be consistent throughout the rest of the season.  But I think I can know see that this team does have a good chance to do that.

3 hours ago, slojoe said:

We are an elite team

More convinced than ever that this is true after watching the Maryland game a couple of times. I don't think we are a lock for the NCAA tournament because you almost get the feeling that we just come up short in these kinds of games and losing at home is never good.Throw our schedule in too , but I think we are now one of those teams where NOBODY wants to see us in the tournament. We can beat everyone left on our schedule. It's going to be super exciting from this point forward.

EDIT: realize @slojoe was not implying Indiana was an elite team. He was saying that about our ability to get to the line. I DOEZ READ GOOD. I still think we are an elite team and just pulled those words out. I think we are elite. Carry on.

The loss absolutely sucks, but everyone with eyes can see this team improving.  Hunter is improving each game, Rob is getting healthier.  A couple small mistakes and we win.  In the end it’s just a game that takes us away from the world for a couple hours.  Split the next 2 and we are just fine!

20 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

The loss absolutely sucks, but everyone with eyes can see this team improving.  Hunter is improving each game, Rob is getting healthier.  A couple small mistakes and we win.  In the end it’s just a game that takes us away from the world for a couple hours.  Split the next 2 and we are just fine!

Also seems like the outside shooting is coming around and part of that is Hunter but others are stepping up as well.  Next year if TJD comes back which I think he will and if he develops a 15 foot shot then he will be lethal.

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

It was a home game.  If that was a road game, I would be less irritated.  But this year the Big Ten is like 80% at home and most of the home losses are coming from the bottom feeders.  I do not think we were winning the conference this year, but failure to protect your home court right now is the difference between upper tier and lower tier teams.

Any loss at home where you go into the final minute up 2 scores is a bad loss.  Yeah it was nice to see some of the guys step up and the effort was there, but to me it was the same stupid crap that we have been harping about all year that cost the game.  Missed free throws, bad decision making, and failure to understand ones place on the team.

It is a "learning" experience for sure.  The problem is that outside of a boneheaded play by a RS freshman, it isn't the young players I am irritated with.

Now that I whole heartedly agree with ...and don’t get me wrong  ...I still was doing some screaming about  blowing a six point lead at home in the final minute ...totally don’t blame you being irritated but I’m just saying this game the boneheaded stuff was 5% of the game ( albeit a critical period ) and 95% of the game was iu basketball.  I’m thrilled because we’ve had a lot of games this year where it’s been closer to 50/50 or 60/40 ratio.

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

I have been complaining today, but I do want to be clear that I agree with the idea that play has been improving.  I think that is why I am so peeved that we blew that game in the manner we did.

We took Maryland's best shot in the first half, weathered that storm, seized control of the game by playing pretty fundamentally sound basketball, and just blew it.  IF that type of effort and better shooting starts to manifest in more games, we should be ok.

I wasn't apathetic yesterday...that's good thing.  (It was also good the wife and kids were in another room when that last shot did not go down...)

18 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I have been complaining today, but I do want to be clear that I agree with the idea that play has been improving.  I think that is why I am so peeved that we blew that game in the manner we did.

We took Maryland's best shot in the first half, weathered that storm, seized control of the game by playing pretty fundamentally sound basketball, and just blew it.  IF that type of effort and better shooting starts to manifest in more games, we should be ok.

I wasn't apathetic yesterday...that's good thing.  (It was also good the wife and kids were in another room when that last shot did not go down...)

Soooooo on the same page 

Yesterday's loss is the first one since Archie has arrived that I would call it upsetting to the point I was mad.  Before it has just been frustratiing and knowing he was overhauling and rebuilding the team, it was Oh well, NEXT.   I think a lot had to do with how they lost the game and also the fact that a win would of put them in such a solid position. Not gonna be all that concerned about a loss to Maryland even at home.  If they play this way the rest of the season, I expect they make the NCAA and make a .500 or better record in the Big 10. 

21 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I have no idea why he lost his mind in such an aggressive and personal way.   But, I’m glad Turgeon got their PR guy to write that up.  

Pretty hard to tell one's sincerity by what was posted on Twitter. For the time being I'll  take the young man at is word but his actions in the future will be the tell-all. On the other hand, his coach's apology in his presser after the game, is much more indicative of his sincerity. 

I also dont understand all the negativity towards Green. True, the young man took a couple of questionable shots towards the end of the game but neither time did Maryland take advantage. If it wasn't for his play in the 2nd half I doubt if IU makes the comeback it did. Seemed like he was the only one that handled the ball well under pressure & IIRC he had 0 turnovers. JMO, the 3 pt attempt by AD prior to that which came earlier in the shot clock that led to a &1 along with Hunters errant pass had much more to do with the game's outcome though I'm  still not sure if Hunter' pass was tipped from behind or just a poor pass. Whichever, it looked like a wounded duck. I really question why Hunter was in the game at that point seeing as how he has had very little on court experience. 

13 minutes ago, papawboog said:

Pretty hard to tell one's sincerity by what was posted on Twitter. For the time being I'll  take the young man at is word but his actions in the future will be the tell-all. On the other hand, his coach's apology in his presser after the game, is much more indicative of his sincerity. 

I thought turgeon was genuinely furious ...that is how I would hope our staff would react if that had been one of our players 

18 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I thought turgeon was genuinely furious ...that is how I would hope our staff would react if that had been one of our players 

Turgeon was indeed genuinely furious. He went absolutely nuts, on the court, with Smith. He was beyond pissed at him.

46 minutes ago, papawboog said:

I also dont understand all the negativity towards Green. True, the young man took a couple of questionable shots towards the end of the game but neither time did Maryland take advantage. If it wasn't for his play in the 2nd half I doubt if IU makes the comeback it did. Seemed like he was the only one that handled the ball well under pressure & IIRC he had 0 turnovers. JMO, the 3 pt attempt by AD prior to that which came earlier in the shot clock that led to a &1 along with Hunters errant pass had much more to do with the game's outcome though I'm  still not sure if Hunter' pass was tipped from behind or just a poor pass. Whichever, it looked like a wounded duck. I really question why Hunter was in the game at that point seeing as how he has had very little on court experience. 

I mentioned previous he played SO well this game I can see the justification for leaving him in ...arch was in a tough spot there....I think it made me nervous not only because she could be prone to poor shots or poor decisions but in the last two minutes I think it took what was a VERY well rounded team game and made us more one dimensional ....I think DG expects to be “ the guy” in crunch time situations and I think the other guards defer to him ....we had moved the ball so well especially inside I think if he was out of the game we became more versatile and harder to game plan against defensively 

1 hour ago, ATX_sig said:

Yesterday's loss is the first one since Archie has arrived that I would call it upsetting to the point I was mad.  Before it has just been frustratiing and knowing he was overhauling and rebuilding the team, it was Oh well, NEXT.   I think a lot had to do with how they lost the game and also the fact that a win would of put them in such a solid position. Not gonna be all that concerned about a loss to Maryland even at home.  If they play this way the rest of the season, I expect they make the NCAA and make a .500 or better record in the Big 10. 

Agree 100%. Yesterday's loss literally made me feel sick to my stomach. I think that fact alone (and other people saying similar things) means something. 

4 hours ago, hoosiermd said:

More convinced than ever that this is true after watching the Maryland game a couple of times. I don't think we are a lock for the NCAA tournament because you almost get the feeling that we just come up short in these kinds of games and losing at home is never good.Throw our schedule in too , but I think we are now one of those teams where NOBODY wants to see us in the tournament. We can beat everyone left on our schedule. It's going to be super exciting from this point forward.

Just to make sure that you understand my comment that IU is an elite team.  I said we were elite in getting to the free throw line.  At this point I would not call IU an elite team overall.

1 hour ago, papawboog said:

Smith is by pretty much all accounts a good kid, but I was watching the Maryland/Northwestern game last week, and he was getting all kinds of fired up in that game, too. Not really sure what's going on with him, but I think that Turgeon and Smith/Maryland PR handled the situation about as well as you could ask after it had happened.

10 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Not really sure what's going on with him, but I think that Turgeon and Smith/Maryland PR handled the situation about as well as you could ask after it had happened.

Hope you're right, but if there is no punishment from Turgeon, then I will respectfully disagree. Actions should have consequences.

Edit: good or bad. Goes both ways. And it should probably handled confidentially by MD, and not made public, other than to acknowledge action was taken.

3 hours ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

II didnt get to see the incident at the end of the game, Did see him goofing at a fan(s). CBS cut away right after the end of the game. They came back to the game & it appeared they were bringing Smith out for an interview. At that point I was upset with the way the game ended so switched channels. Didnt learning about him stomping on the court logo till later on. Watched a replay of Mt's post game presser, but he did seem upset over the incident & very apologetic.

6 hours ago, papawboog said:

You nailed the collapse!  I was yelling at Durham for taking that shot in the first 5 sec of the possession!  I said same thing, why is JH in the game at such a critical time and he was not forced to pass the ball just got bit by the moment.  An extra 20 sec’s on Durham’s shot + JH turnover cost them the game!  Lets also NOT FORGET Rob’s two possession collapse as both were during the worst time possible so this is a team loss on the players not Archie.  Can’t believe Hoosier Nation is blaming this loss on CAM.  SMDH

Archived