Big Ten officiating is ! !!!!

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Let's not blame this on the officials, as putrid as they were, the game was ours regardless.  

I have seen some think that Smith traveled on that last shot but I did not see it as a travel.  I did think they missed at least 3 travels on Maryland yesterday and we got called for s few fouls that were questionable but it did not cost us the game.

My problem with the officials isn't an individual game.  It's wildly inconsistent,  not only game to game, but half to half.

It's also very reactive, making a call based on a player action rather than what really happened.  Cassius Winston drove the lane, completely out of control.  Hit the deck without making contact with a single IU player and gets 2 free throws.

Cowan found out that in a bind, he can put his head down, drive out of control and get free throws.

We had the game won and lost it.

Thats on us and credit Maryland for hitting clutch shots.

That being said.....officiating is atrocious and wildly inconsistent. At this point it is ridiculous that the NCAA still uses part timers as refs. I  understand why that was the case in the 70’s etc but there are now billions of college basketball dollars sloshing around and some of that money should be used on full time refs.

Didn't really see anything egregious on Sunday that was one direction or the other. There were some missed calls in both directions - Smith was called for a double dribble late in the game that was the wrong call, and we undercut him a couple of times on rebounds that looked like good calls, contrary to the fans' opinions, although I do think he flopped a bit on the 3 pointer. 

11 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Think they need to do a better job of shutting down mouths of Oturu and Smith.  2 games in a row Oturu has gotten into the face yelling expletives to opponents.   Smith doing his thing.  Illinois guy stepping on people.   I'm in favor of quick technical across the league to send notice.  Stop

I agree, not even going to say that cost us this game. We did that yourselves. What I see is out of control taunting. You could read Smiths  lips, I don’t need to tell you what he was screaming after he made his last shot. He was hollowing at the IU players. Yeah there was I think 14 seconds left. No one wants to make that call,but my god you have to are this stuff will escalate to something much worse! 
Something ugly like Happened at Kansas! You know it’s getting closer and closer to that. 

30 minutes ago, Bob said:

I agree, not even going to say that cost us this game. We did that yourselves. What I see is out of control taunting. You could read Smiths  lips, I don’t need to tell you what he was screaming after he made his last shot. He was hollowing at the IU players. Yeah there was I think 14 seconds left. No one wants to make that call,but my god you have to are this stuff will escalate to something much worse! 
Something ugly like Happened at Kansas! You know it’s getting closer and closer to that. 

Yep, nothing crazy needs done.  Send a memo.  Then first guy that screams you can't  guard me you mfing b in the face of an opponent gets a quick t, a talk to, and a we told you this was coming in that memo and if you do it again, you are going to the locker room.  

To be honest, though Universities have got to step up also, make sure our students are cheering and hollowing , but also showing good sportsmanship also. 
last year against Purdue which I hate as much as anyone. Can’t stand their fans, because they complain about every call it’s ridiculous. I was embarrassed when every time the big guy from Purdue touched the ball they would chant %&#@ @&@ at him. That’s not who we are either. Let’s leave that up to the classless other university! 

9 hours ago, Bob said:

To be honest, though Universities have got to step up also, make sure our students are cheering and hollowing , but also showing good sportsmanship also. 
last year against Purdue which I hate as much as anyone. Can’t stand their fans, because they complain about every call it’s ridiculous. I was embarrassed when every time the big guy from Purdue touched the ball they would chant %&#@ @&@ at him. That’s not who we are either. Let’s leave that up to the classless other university! 

Wasn't that in retaliations to a POS taunt or foul that the ref's didn't call? Which if the comments up above would happen, the crowd wouldn't need to actually officiate the game to start with? Or am I thinking of some other !@$k you Harms incident? 

14 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

Didn't really see anything egregious on Sunday that was one direction or the other. There were some missed calls in both directions - Smith was called for a double dribble late in the game that was the wrong call, and we undercut him a couple of times on rebounds that looked like good calls, contrary to the fans' opinions, although I do think he flopped a bit on the 3 pointer. 

By the book, that was the correct call. Most refs just never call it. Dropping the ball and picking it up is a dribble. 

And Smith didn't flop a bit on that 3 pointer, he flopped a lot. A guy his size shouldn't fall to the ground after getting tapped on the arm. I also thought he should have been given a flop warning earlier in the game when he went flying out of bounds with his hands in the air after we rebounded a shot. 

1 hour ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Wasn't that in retaliations to a POS taunt or foul that the ref's didn't call? Which if the comments up above would happen, the crowd wouldn't need to actually officiate the game to start with? Or am I thinking of some other !@$k you Harms incident? 

Not exactly sure how it started, was thinking it got started because of him taunting in the first game at Purdue. I think not sure

Archived