Any Oakland A's Fans

A little history for some of our younger members.  Charlie Finley grew up in my hometown of Gary, Indiana.  A self man man, who managed to amass a great wealth for his day and age.  Bought the A's when they were in Kansas City, and moved them to Oakland.  Owned the A's for a couple of decades.  Was an innovator.  One of his innovations was to have irrodecent (SP?) baseballs, so they could be seen better at night.

ESPN Classic - Finley entertained and enraged

27 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

A little history for some of our younger members.  Charlie Finley grew up in my hometown of Gary, Indiana.  A self man man, who managed to amass a great wealth for his day and age.  Bought the A's when they were in Kansas City, and moved them to Oakland.  Owned the A's for a couple of decades.  Was an innovator.  One of his innovations was to have irrodecent (SP?) baseballs, so they could be seen better at night.

ESPN Classic - Finley entertained and enraged

Charlie Finley has a lot of history in LaPorte...They use to have team parties and on top of his barn it said something about home of the A's or something that you could see from the toll road....Wonder if its still up? Also LaPorte baseball team got equipment and there famous white shoes that the team wore up to the late 90's

10 minutes ago, newhavenwarford said:

Charlie Finley has a lot of history in LaPorte...They use to have team parties and on top of his barn it said something about home of the A's or something that you could see from the toll road....Wonder if its still up? Also LaPorte baseball team got equipment and there famous white shoes that the team wore up to the late 90's

Not sure about today's status.  However, here are two stories about Charlie's LaPorte  farm/farms.

Down On The Farm With - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

Charlie O's place up for auction - Herald Argus: News

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Not sure about today's status.  However, here are two stories about Charlie's LaPorte  farm/farms.

Down On The Farm With - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

Charlie O's place up for auction - Herald Argus: News

awesome finds....that one article was from 1992 lol like they say once on the internet always on the internet lol

7 hours ago, newhavenwarford said:

Yes Sidney lol been through there plenty of times...

LOL.....I understand.  But this what I found out.......he is basking in the sun in Arizona.  Planning on making a return in 2018 or at least attempt it.  And living off that 5 million he was paid during the course of his brief career.

23 hours ago, rico said:

LOL.....I understand.  But this what I found out.......he is basking in the sun in Arizona.  Planning on making a return in 2018 or at least attempt it.  And living off that 5 million he was paid during the course of his brief career.

Thanks for the update...hopefully he can find a way back to the pros. Funny how you kind of know him..my family is friends with Kevin Kiermaier who plays for Tampa

BTW and FWIW.......Jarrod Parker's older brother was also a helluva a baseball player and was drafted right out of high school(Fort Wayne Anthony Wayne).  Chose to go to Wright State instead.  He ended up coming out of college and getting drafted again.  Never made it to the bigs.  He is now the pitching coach for Central Florida.  

Archived