Michigan PG

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Just the Nebraska game, after which Juwan Howard said they'd "reevaluate."

Thanks IUFLA, I was looking at the schedule and was seeing when we play them.  Usually this comes back to bit us as they (person suspended) have their 1st game back and go off on who ever they are playing.  

5 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

Thanks IUFLA, I was looking at the schedule and was seeing when we play them.  Usually this comes back to bit us as they (person suspended) have their 1st game back and go off on who ever they are playing.  

Sure...looking at a UM forum, some members were saying it was over a traffic violation?

Sounds strange, but if so there'll be a public record out soon enough...

6 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

Thanks Mile!!   You always seem to have the news.

You are welcome.  And thanks for being a great Hoosier Sports Nation member !  I love it when guys are willing to start a new thread.  Even when the topic, is not directly related to IUBB, as is the case here. 

6 minutes ago, madmax said:

My favorite rumor about this is that he’s dating one Obama’s daughters and that something happened. Almost undoubtedly false, but still, this is what happens when everything is hush hush.

Well. Sasha Obama did enroll at Michigan in August of 2019.  That's a fact. 

30 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Sure...looking at a UM forum, some members were saying it was over a traffic violation?

Sounds strange, but if so there'll be a public record out soon enough...

I would venture to guess it'd be a DUI. Teams don't suspend their starting players for speeding tickets or moving violations. 

1 minute ago, addictedtoIU said:

I would venture to guess it'd be a DUI. Teams don't suspend their starting players for speeding tickets or moving violations. 

Exactly my thought. Hard to conceive that a normal traffic violation would result in a suspension. If that is truly the reason for the suspension. 

I think Juwan Howard got excited too early and too soon. When they beat Carolina and Gonzaga, he said "We're back on the map.", which was true at that time and they were one of the hottest teams in the country, but I thought he said it too soon. They used to have a very solid culture under Beilein, and Howward basically inherited a lot of his players, but culture is so fragile when an organization has a different leadership. It's hard to build, and it suddenly goes away like a sand castle just when people become content and think they've done an awesome job and don't need more efforts to maintain. 

20 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

I think Juwan Howard got excited too early and too soon. When they beat Carolina and Gonzaga, he said "We're back on the map.", which was true at that time and they were one of the hottest teams in the country, but I thought he said it too soon. They used to have a very solid culture under Beilein, and Howward basically inherited a lot of his players, but culture is so fragile when an organization has a different leadership. It's hard to build, and it suddenly goes away like a sand castle just when people become content and think they've done an awesome job and don't need more efforts to maintain. 

Uh Beilein had them at the top of the map...not sure what he would mean by that...but yes...premature for sure. Good win over the Zags though but we've seen so many teams falter this year I'm not even sure our Hoosiers are back and I have liked what I've seen the past couple weeks.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Uh Beilein had them at the top of the map...not sure what he would mean by that...but yes...premature for sure. Good win over the Zags though but we've seen so many teams falter this year I'm not even sure our Hoosiers are back and I have liked what I've seen the past couple weeks.

Yes, Howard replaced a runner on third and acts like he hit a triple. But MI only won 30 games last year.

I'm always skeptical of a very successful professional basketball player taking a college or even pro coaching job.  The successful players are on the floor.  The less successful players are on the bench next to the coach watching and learning.  Sure, they can recruit, but can they coach and develop once the players are there?  You're seeing this play out with Ewing at Georgetown, Penny at Memphis and Howard at Michigan.  I'm not sold on any of them at this point.

11 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm always skeptical of a very successful professional basketball player taking a college or even pro coaching job.  The successful players are on the floor.  The less successful players are on the bench next to the coach watching and learning.  Sure, they can recruit, but can they coach and develop once the players are there?  You're seeing this play out with Ewing at Georgetown, Penny at Memphis and Howard at Michigan.  I'm not sold on any of them at this point.

IT and Clyde Drexler were horrible college coaches as well.

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

IT and Clyde Drexler were horrible college coaches as well.

Agree.  Can't say it always goes that way as Wooden was a pretty solid coach, but the best players are at a natural disadvantage to the bench warmers when it comes to really learning the strategy of the game.  Jordan Hulls is one pretty good player that comes to mind as having the ability to be a good coach.  Then again, he was a point guard, kind of like IU's coach.  Of the starters/stars, I would give the edge to point guards as I would in football to quarterbacks.

We'll see how the experiments at Georgetown, Memphis and Michigan play out.  Will these guys have enough talent and bench coaching to hide their strategy deficiencies?  Time will tell.

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Agree.  Can't say it always goes that way as Wooden was a pretty solid coach, but the best players are at a natural disadvantage to the bench warmers when it comes to really learning the strategy of the game.  Jordan Hulls is one pretty good player that comes to mind as having the ability to be a good coach.  Then again, he was a point guard, kind of like IU's coach.  Of the starters/stars, I would give the edge to point guards as I would in football to quarterbacks.

We'll see how the experiments at Georgetown, Memphis and Michigan play out.  Will these guys have enough talent and bench coaching to hide their strategy deficiencies?  Time will tell.

Larry Bird did a pretty good job for the Pacers but he did delegate a lot of the duties to his assistants.  Guys like Larry brown and Toney Bennett were very good players and have now won championships as coaches.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Larry Bird did a pretty good job for the Pacers but he did delegate a lot of the duties to his assistants.  Guys like Larry brown and Toney Bennett were very good players and have now won championships as coaches.

Or our own Mike Woodson etc. There are a number of very good coaches / former coaches who played at a high level, but there are also a number of poor coaches who played a high level, it's just a mix.

Archived