Penn State Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

With that being said, if we fire Archie I'm not worried about who we're capable of hiring. IU has the resources, facilities, and a lot of money. Money talks, so if our University is willing to dish it out like every other blue blood is, then we should have no problem hiring a real coach who has won at multiple programs. 

We can offer as much money as possible but you are not getting Donovan, Stevens, Wright, Bennett, Few, Self, Calapari, Izzo so you will be picking coaches who is not a slam dunk hire just like Archie.  I also don't see us getting the guy I wanted in Marshall because t is obvious he will stay at WSU.

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

We can offer as much money as possible but you are not getting Donovan, Stevens, Wright, Bennett, Few, Self, Calapari, Izzo so you will be picking coaches who is not a slam dunk hire just like Archie.  I also don't see us getting the guy I wanted in Marshall because t is obvious he will stay at WSU.

We assume that but throw 10 mil a year out there and see who is and who is not interested.  Not saying CAM is not the guy just saying money like that would  interest a lot of people 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

We assume that but throw 10 mil a year out there and see who is and who is not interested.  Not saying CAM is not the guy just saying money like that would  interest a lot of people 

We have been down this conversation thread before.  Lets just say there are those who will never agree that money will do and those who believe enough money will get anyone you want.

There, thread can stay on track  :) 

15 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

Felt pretty good coming into this game, even with the MD meltdown. Not feeling so good now. Can’t wait until Devonte is gone. 

This is not just on Devonte.  None of the guards could throw it in the ocean last night.  If they are having a night like that, the other coach is going to clog the paint and make them keep chucking.  It's a simple formula and no coaching savant is not to make those baskets for them.

If you want to see stupid, the Facebook fan groups are full of comments about how Archie can't coach, etc.  This is all mental.  I'm not sure how you help these kids overcome it, but short of Archie suiting up, I'm not sure how you overcome that mentally.  Luke Brown looks better and better...

This game should make for much more realistic predictions going into the OSU game.  Sure, IU can win, but expecting it on the road is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I will disagree with that because those guys are happy and proven they can win where they are at so why leave to come coach for this fan base.  The top coach right now that might come would be Beard from TT but with his connections to RMK and Texas that would be highly doubtful.

24 minutes ago, IUfan93 said:

Agree 100%. I like CAM but his recruiting is suspect and roster management will determine whether he stays or goes. It seems someone posted that he was not a big recruiter of shooters at Dayton either. This is the B1G...he has to get guards/wings that can shoot and slash with  basketball IQ or we will live on in mediocrity until the next coach is brought in. Like it or not...TJD was telling ppl on campus this summer hes a OAD( and I know this bc he told a student I heard it directly from) so I’m sure if he gets on the draft board or if he’s told thru testing the waters he can go he’s a goner. Then what?  What we have coming is no replacement for him. I think if CAM doesn’t get in the tournament this year and we continue this struggle next he’s likely not going to be here for another season. I think he can coach but I question his substitutions, his stubbornness not to pull Green, and sometimes even his willingness to let these long scoring droughts go on without some timeouts to draw up some plays to possibly get something going. He can’t make baskets for them...I get it but he’s the coach and at some point he’s got to do something for these guys to get them in positions to score some points...be that as adjustments to what the defense is doing or putting a different lineup on the floor. On to OSU...hoping we see better guard play and a better overall game effort by coach and players. 

I’ve been in the mind set all year that we have him at least next year ...if he leaves that is a massive blow and deep hole to fill

21 minutes ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

With that being said, if we fire Archie I'm not worried about who we're capable of hiring. IU has the resources, facilities, and a lot of money. Money talks, so if our University is willing to dish it out like every other blue blood is, then we should have no problem hiring a real coach who has won at multiple programs. 

IU is not firing Archie.  Get that fantasy our of your head or you'll experience a lot of disappointment until the ship is righted.

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

This is not just on Devonte.  None of the guards could throw it in the ocean last night.  If they are having a night like that, the other coach is going to clog the paint and make them keep chucking.  It's a simple formula and no coaching savant is not to make those baskets for them.

If you want to see stupid, the Facebook fan groups are full of comments about how Archie can't coach, etc.  This is all mental.  I'm not sure how you help these kids overcome it, but short of Archie suiting up, I'm not sure how you overcome that mentally.  Luke Brown looks better and better...

This game should make for much more realistic predictions going into the OSU game.  Sure, IU can win, but expecting it on the road is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I promised I’d never bring it up outside the thread 😬....I definitely agree it wasn’t just green ..it’s literally everyone but rob ( who also had a horrible game )  ...when rob has a bad game we will really struggle 

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I will disagree with that because those guys are happy and proven they can win where they are at so why leave to come coach for this fan base.  The top coach right now that might come would be Beard from TT but with his connections to RMK and Texas that would be highly doubtful.

We have no idea because we dont offer anything close to that. Make an offer to make him the highest paid coach in CBB and.see what happens

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

We have no idea because we dont offer anything close to that. Make an offer to make him the highest paid coach in CBB and.see what happens

Give me a reason that  any of the coaches I listed would leave their current job for IU at this time because they make a boat load where they are and would get an increase if someone came calling.  You can make those calls if you want but they will say thank you but no thank you.

4 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

You are kidding yourself if you think IU will ever spend that kind of money on a coach.   Our last 3 coaches yearly salaries do not add up to 10 million/year.  

That’s our problem. People at the top of the University are the issue. Dish the money that we have out! Big investment like that can bring major success to the program and a lot more money to the University in the long run. 

these are the coaches that UCLA has hired since Wooden left and all but 1 or 2 were not big name coaches.  They have had a lot of coaches since and they are still looking for the next great coach.

Bartow- left after one year due to pressure from alumni

Cunningham

Brown- really only big name coach

Farmer

Hazzard

Harrick- came from Pepperdine.

Lavin- promoted after Harrick problems

Howland- came from Pitt but was known

Alford- came from New Mexico

Cronin- would you be happy with him as coach coming from UC

38 minutes ago, IUfan93 said:

Agree 100%. I like CAM but his recruiting is suspect and roster management will determine whether he stays or goes. It seems someone posted that he was not a big recruiter of shooters at Dayton either. This is the B1G...he has to get guards/wings that can shoot and slash with  basketball IQ or we will live on in mediocrity until the next coach is brought in.

I do not know if he recruited shooters  at Dayton or not, but the shooting numbers show they could shoot.  His 6 years at UD they averaged 36.5% from 3 with a low of 34.4 and a high of 38.7.  Now these are not jaw dropping numbers, but they are significantly better than IU is shooting, and would probably equal a few more wins.

28 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Give me a reason that  any of the coaches I listed would leave their current job for IU at this time because they make a boat load where they are and would get an increase if someone came calling.  You can make those calls if you want but they will say thank you but no thank you.

Maybe maybe not. I do know that the salary kicked around when the position was open did not interest a lot of people. 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Maybe maybe not. I do know that the salary kicked around when the position was open did not interest a lot of people. 

I know a lot of the fans don't think this is a reason but I would say our fans are another reason some coaches would not be interested in this job.  Our fan base can be great for this program and helps it when they come to the game and how passionate they are.  Also that can be a curse for the program when things don't go right and we see what happens on social media.

2 hours ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I agree but I’m more in favor of changing it to where there ARE consequences than joining the crowd that does it the wrong way ....you know what rmk would have done 

I would agree but they are going to be paying the players within a few years anyway.  At that point it is the wild west in setting your guys up with people who are willing to hand them a check.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know a lot of the fans don't think this is a reason but I would say our fans are another reason some coaches would not be interested in this job.  Our fan base can be great for this program and helps it when they come to the game and how passionate they are.  Also that can be a curse for the program when things don't go right and we see what happens on social media.

That is fair, what is also fair is that there are some members of out fanbase who are less accommodating of skirting rules, making expectations both high while also tying the coaches hands in relation to other programs the fanbase wants to compete with.

I believe billingsley99's assistant coaching friend alluded to that.

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

That is fair, what is also fair is that there are some members of out fanbase who are less accommodating of skirting rules, making expectations both high while also tying the coaches hands in relation to other programs the fanbase wants to compete with.

I believe billingsley99's assistant coaching friend alluded to that.

Well until the players can make money off of their likeness it is still against the rules to pay the players or give them some kind of benefits.  Even when they change the rules it is not like any person can just start handing them wades of cash because it will have to come through some kind of advertising.

20 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

IU is not firing Archie.  Get that fantasy our of your head or you'll experience a lot of disappointment until the ship is righted.

Exactly...

I hear tons of "he's not the guy" talk with very little to back it up...

Recruiting: got the #5 recruit in the nation his first true recruiting year...along with #57 (Hunter), Phinisee (who I think we all believe is a player), and Anderson. Not a bad haul at all. People decry our dearth of shooters, but both Hunter and Anderson were touted as such. So it's not like CAM didn't at least TRY to address this deficiency.

2nd class: #26 ranked player, along with Franklin, who I've been impressed with (I actually think all things considered, he's our 2nd best guard), and grad transfer Brunk.

3rd cycle: #s 99, 129, and 135. Not top shelf, but not a total swing and miss either. I agree this class would have been much more palatable with a Cherry Garcia 😉 on top.

In game coaching: every thing I've seen and read has said this guy can coach. The only people who say differently are the disgruntled on this board and others. I'll include "substitution patterns" in this, which I think are fine. The one salient thing Seth Davis said last night was that IU wore down MSU with our depth. As fast as last night goes, we were down to 9 to start with, and De'Ron and Joey had 2 fouls on them practically before the opening whistle.

I see an intensity and an iron will (which I think he shares with DG, and therein lies the problem between the 2) in CAM that I saw in another IU coach early in his tenure. I'm not saying he's on that plane yet. But it wouldn't surprise me at all if he had a lot of success at IU...He desperately wants to win...

And I think he will if given the chance, that is...

1 hour ago, bstall76 said:

You are kidding yourself if you think IU will ever spend that kind of money on a coach.   Our last 3 coaches yearly salaries do not add up to 10 million/year.  

Then as fans we should just be happy with what we have and hope it works out as we remove our self further and further from elite status.  We will become like Cubs fans where none were alive that witnessed the last championship 

Archived