Penn State Postgame Thread

KDB

Blaming the coaching for this game is ridiculous. Not sure what a coach is supposed to do when your two-year starting point guard is awful, your junior starting combo guard is awful, and your senior guard off the bench is absolutely, embarrassingly atrocious. 

Also, the refs were horrible too. Lamar Stevens was able to do whatever he wanted physically, yet he marched to the foul line on the other end. 

While it seemed this team was turning the corner, it’s still concerning that we just squeak out wins at home and get destroyed on the road. I’d feel a little better if we were at least handling teams at home. 

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And who the hell handles the Martha the Mop Lady twitter account? Talk about both sides. Says one thing on Sunday....says another later Sunday night. Says one thing tonight and lectures people why Sunday was so important? I truly hope whomever handles that account checks in here....handle your stuff better is all I'll say. Or at the very least a little more consistent. Martha the Mop Lady.....haha. 

Just the fact that these guys are up and down is in and of itself damning.  You lose a heartbreaker that you shouldn’t have, at a minimum you should be champing at the bit to go out there and make up for it.  That’s what I expected and thought would happen.  

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Blaming the coaching for this game is ridiculous. Not sure what a coach is supposed to do when your two-year starting point guard is awful, your junior starting combo guard is awful, and your senior guard off the bench is absolutely, embarrassingly atrocious. 

Also, the refs were horrible too. Lamar Stevens was able to do whatever he wanted physically, yet he marched to the foul line on the other end. 

While it seemed this team was turning the corner, it’s still concerning that we just squeak out wins at home and get destroyed on the road. I’d feel a little better if we were at least handling teams at home. 

I feel like Archie is designing some good stuff.  Last year, I thought we needed more innovation when we went into a funk and it concerned me.  I know we had threads in here with various ideas but Archie seemed to whistle past the graveyard as the L’s piled up and he seemingly kept hoping the same stuff would work.  This year, I see much more strategic adjustments which lifts my confidence in him.

He did get T’d up and then was perplexed. I’d love to know what really happened.  Was the ref being self-righteous or was it valid?  From Archie’s reaction, the ref was probably thin skinned.  

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I feel like Archie is designing some good stuff.  Last year, I thought we needed more innovation when we went into a funk and it concerned me.  I know we had threads in here with various ideas but Archie seemed to whistle past the graveyard as the L’s piled up and he seemingly kept hoping the same stuff would work.  This year, I see much more strategic adjustments which lifts my confidence in him.

He did get T’d up and then was perplexed. I’d love to know what really happened.  Was the ref being self-righteous or was it valid?  From Archie’s reaction, the ref was probably thin skinned.  

I stopped paying attention by the time the T came so not sure what happened. I thought the refs were extremely bad tonight. Like I said before, Stevens was allowed to do whatever he wanted defensively, yet on offense if we breathed on him he was at the line. 

1 minute ago, BornHoosier said:

BIGGEST QUESTION for CAM to answer:  Why do we play so bad on the road but beat ranked opponents at home?  Doesn’t make any sense and must be mental at this point?  Enough about complaints, let’s bring solutions to the table!  

It makes perfect sense. We have average at best guard play and can’t shoot consistently. Combine those two things and it makes for an incocnsistent team that plays better at home than on the road. 

18 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It makes perfect sense. We have average at best guard play and can’t shoot consistently. Combine those two things and it makes for an incocnsistent team that plays better at home than on the road. 

??  Same players play at home vs on the road??  Same players beat FSU and MSU that lost to PSU by 20?  I’m not buying your argument about avg guard play & I know your smart enough to know this otherwise we wouldn’t win at home.  I swear it’s a mental toughness thing which I don’t understand but proof is in the pudding right?  I’m baffled at this point on the difference in play but I will leave this to the best Psychiatrist that IU can pay to figure out.  BAFFLED

2 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

No Damn Heart & it starts with the Head Coach!  Once the tech was called at the end of the game & CAM acted like he didn’t do anything, I lost all respect!  If you didn’t do anything, this is the time to show some HEART & come UNGLUED!  No emotions, No heart and the team plays like it!!!  Archie will continue to get no respect from the officials until he lets them know he has arrived.  Way to passive & takes the abuse.  $.02

There is plenty to criticize tonight all around, but the fact that Arhchie didn't come unglued with a minute to go because a ref was a dumb ass isn't one of those things. Doing that doesn't show heart, it shows mental instability. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Some of the players are just piss poor on the road.....but tonight was the first time all season where I literally questioned the staff in terms of wtf are you doing. Maybe it's because I want them to do well or whatever....but if Green, Durham, and Smith see the court at the same time again in a 2 possession game I have to start asking what the hell is the frickin bench doing to help win games.

We have 11 scholarship players. 2 of them were out. 3 of them were in foul trouble. That leaves you with some pretty limited options.

3 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Remember when we used to run teams like Penn State and Rutgers off the floor?  How faraway do those days look now?

Losing at home this weekend was bad.  I said it then and will repeat it now.  We have a tough, road heavy schedule from here on out.  We flat out suck on the road.  This team cannot afford to lose home games and this staff cannot afford to miss the tournament this year.  You don't want to play yourself onto the bubble.  This past week, that is what this team is doing.

I thought that was the case but the consensus seems to be even if they miss the tournament they get another shot next year.  I doubt they can get in without another road win, not sure where that will come from.

44 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

There is plenty to criticize tonight all around, but the fact that Arhchie didn't come unglued with a minute to go because a ref was a dumb ass isn't one of those things. Doing that doesn't show heart, it shows mental instability. 

I get your opinion but at what point will this team show some sort of pulse on the road.  Riddle me this, How has a Head coach shown mental instability while not making the tournament in first 2 yrs and continue to show no heart whatsoever on the road in the 3rd yr?  I’d be unglued with the Wisconsin game so I guess we don’t see eye to eye on what’s expected.  I guess I got 30+ yrs frustration built up is all.

52 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

We have 11 scholarship players. 2 of them were out. 3 of them were in foul trouble. That leaves you with some pretty limited options.

2 we’re out, 3 in foul trouble & combined couldn’t beat a 5th grade B team on the road.  Some of you continue to look for the excuse and not see that on the road we are the WORST team in the country.  49 pts is all we could muster in 40 minutes meanwhile some get that in 20!  No more excuses for our road troubles other than lack of heart.  It’s time for a complete rebuild with a true leader at the helm & I have all the patience for this to happen because what’s being displayed today is a road game away from a blown head gasket. Blame the players but RMK wouldn’t let this happen by no means!

3 hours ago, hoosiermd said:

A guy like Kobe would have played. And not just him. Guys like Odle or Lewis or Fife or Coverdale or or Moye or Hulls would have played. Why doesn’t IU have a Jared Odle type player?

You're a doctor, tell me about this illness Jerome was unwilling to play through. I've been sick the last 2 days and I can barely make it up the stairs without losing my breath. 

This reminds me of Green Bay/ Seattle playoff game where GB's RT, Bryan Bulaga, woke up sick on game day and couldn't go. He must be mentally weak too. An NFL OL whose started 111 of 115 games.

I went and looked at Kobe's stats and he only played in 66 games during his age 21 season. I think it was due to hand injury, but Jordan would have played through it. 

I agree that some of IU's players are mentally weak, but it's not fair to say Jerome is because he didn't play. It sounds like he wanted to go but the coaching/medical staff may have held him out. 

Early on Seth Davis made some statements about us playing with energy, coming play, great defense, etc.  Sometimes we see what we want to see, or expect to see. This is bias. Hard to see anything but our offensive inabilities as something like Chinese water torture for our defensive.  Eventually our defense can no longer play with the same grit and determination when we are turning the ball over, clanking shots, having no movement, on and on.  Early on our offense seemed to flow alright, then green comes in.  Often the ball stops moving, poor decisions are made, missed tough shots that seem too often to lead to points on the other end.  Add to this Al who struggles to put the ball in the hoop.  The second half seemed like a team that lost their mojo due to a lack of team play by some of our upperclassmen.  I do think Deron has been doing very well for us in the post, and has been making great passes.  I worry that this performance is a sign of this team returning to form.  Games are like seasons.  At times we look great, but we have these droughts.  Was hoping that the culture had truly changed, now I wonder.

Well, just had a full night of sleep and ... still don't know wtf that was last night. The guard play is embarrassing. Multiple lazy passes to the wing that were easily picked off, forcing up shots, missed layups, just terrible all around play from our backcourt. Plenty of us all rail on Devonte, and for good reason, but Al might have been worse last night, and those are your upperclassmen that are supposed to be our leaders. One other thing - we really need to work on finishing in the paint through contact across the board. 

Props to De'Ron for playing extremely well. Outside of that, it's really hard to find any positives in this mess. Will be interesting to see how we show at OSU. Normally, this would be a very winnable road game, but with this team, it's hard to expect much of anything.

I sure hope this is an issue with FCTC's players, because if it isn't, our problems go a lot deeper than just a couple of bad apples ruining the bunch.

Archived