KDB

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

It's as simple as this...

Frontcourt: 16/28 from the field

Backcourt: 3/29 from the field

Some of us have been saying all along that of this team is going to win, it has to be ugly, physical, inside basketball with emphasis on crashing the boards at both ends and suffocating defense. Or "Brunk Force Trauma" as BEKA so aptly put it.

As far as the turnovers go, physical mistakes I can live with. Mental mistakes or carelessness with the basketball are inexcusable. Penn St led the B10 in steals coming in...I'm sure the team knew that...but they sure didn't act like it with the lazy passes...

No man you have it backwards. If you don't have good guard play you'll lose, if anything that's exactly what happened in this game. Frontcourt 16-28 and we lost big, why, because we did not have spacing, did not have any play from the wing (Hunter being out hurt), and made terrible decisions on the perimeter. Do you really think if we had just tried to pound it inside all game it would've ended differently? Do you really think CAM should just play an utterly unidemensional pound it inside game? That's disaster.

9 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Also why did Anderson and green get that much playing time ?!?

When Damezi came in, early in the first half, I was incredulous.  Then, as the game wore on we realized Jerome couldn't play and it made sense. The combination of foul trouble for TJD + Race being out definitely had Archie working with duct tape and bailing wire to manage the non-guards.  Then, our starting guards were playing awful and his only options are Green and Franklin - neither of which proved to be much of an improvement.

In the postgame, Archie characterized our play saying we just couldn't score and then started committing turnovers and fouls.  Simplistic, but accurate.  I think our chronically poor scoring leads to frustration and loss of intensity, resulting in those dumb fouls and lazy play.  When the shots aren't falling (which is far too often), we don't grit our teeth and play harder - we fold like a cheap suit.

This points to a lack of fight across the roster. That said, if we were a much better shooting team, we'd probably see closer to 40 minutes of solid basketball.

I point this out not to criticize or gripe but to try to understand what the fix is.  Honestly, for the most part I'm afraid our offense is what it is for this season.  We will struggle unless DG has a hot hand, we have a rare game where we're just firing on all cylinders, or Hunter's ongoing improvement accelerates and doesn't regress or plateau.  I think this explains why we stink on the road - we're naturally more comfortable and familiar shooting at AH.  I think Archie and the staff have a huge challenge with this roster - getting them to play 40 minutes while they struggle trying to score.  So far they sure haven't solved it.

Going forward CAM has a huge job on his hands.  He's the boss. I'd say that the needed changes required are much more than simple tweaks.

tl:dr. We need to be much better at shooting and finishing around the rim and/or mentally and emotionally tough when we can't score. We're woefully lacking in both of those areas.

10 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

With the way the team has played the last two seasons, it’s pretty much always going to be the sunshine pumpers vs. the Chicken Littles... There’s really no in-between when we get these wild swings in performance from game to game and even half to half. 

I’m TRYING to be a moderate lol 

11 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

I love Rob don’t get me wrong but I can’t even fathom a homegrown 4 star talent playing 25 min with ZERO PTS?  Is he playing through something?  Maybe, JUST maybe we’re putting too much emphasis on homegrown talent?  I’m tired of watching a way less known team with players that I wish we had and there all 3 stars or less.  Start recruiting HEART and not worry so much about stars next to their name.  Rob will make us all proud but tonight I can’t respect his performance.  PATHETIC

Disagree on rob he’s far and away our best guard and he’s played at probably 90% or less the majority of the time he’s played ...he is the only one competent enough to play make which can be difficult when the other teams pack the interior because they have zero respect for our outside shot ...he’ll be great for us 

MAJORLY Agree on recruiting however ...we need to put heart and iq on par with talent in the evaluation process ...guys that would rather die than lose will do as much for you as a 40 inch vertical 

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

It makes perfect sense. We have average at best guard play and can’t shoot consistently. Combine those two things and it makes for an incocnsistent team that plays better at home than on the road. 

“Average at best guard play “  might be the kindest thing I’ve ever heard you say 😂

2 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Correct ...there is Rob ...a very deep trench ...then everyone else who handles the ball 

Rob has to score too though.  He had 4 assists and 2 TOs but zero points.  Now I think he is generally a better floor leader than Green, but if you look at the box score last night, Green was 3 assists, 2 TOs, and 4 points.

I am annoyed with our upperclassmen because I expect more from 3 and 4 year players...BUT...some people are saying they cannot wait for the Crean guys to move on.  Well the Archie guys were a combined 0-9 from the field, 0-2 from 3, had 4 assists and 3 turnovers.  It isn't like our younger guys are really performing all that well either.

Smith is another guy who gets a bunch of crap, but for a team that had trouble scoring, he and TJD were the only ones in double figures last night.  Davis and Brunk had 6 each.  The staff did an abysmal job of making the guards go inside every trip down the floor last night and Miller did not do his job by effectively contesting the way the game was called last night.  When he got the tech I thought, "finally he said something".  However, he immediately began arguing that he did not do anything...the players were not fighting for a win last night and I feel that Archie was not either.  If you are getting hosed on the road, you need to show your guys that you are standing up for them.

Next year is next year but we are going to have the same type of discussion in the next offseason that we have had since the last.  Where are the points coming from in the backcourt and wing?  I would submit that we will have people building up the 3 freshmen who will be disappointed when they play like a freshmen with their ranking should.  Help is not on the way for next year.

27 minutes ago, Cutter said:

He didn’t take Anderson over Henry he offered Henry first then Anderson and Anderson committed first. It was also said Henry offer was still on the table but committed to MSU instead.

I know the story because I work with Henry's dad and Archie pretty much stopped calling after Anderson and Hunter committed.  I just don't think it would a good judgments in talent if he thought Anderson was good enough to play at this level.  I saw him twice on TV and came away wondering why he was offered in the first place.

18 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

Will Wade and LSU having a great season

Bill Self and Kansas having a great season

Its hard to like college basketball right now.  I think IU needs to go full dark side.  I don't care anymore.

I still care and if that is the only way to win then I am all for just being average.  I like to look at programs like UVA and Villanova who has not turned to the dark side and still win.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I know the story because I work with Henry's dad and Archie pretty much stopped calling after Anderson and Hunter committed.  I just don't think it would a good judgments in talent if he thought Anderson was good enough to play at this level.  I saw him twice on TV and came away wondering why he was offered in the first place.

Not to go off topic or maybe I am since every time we lose we seem to just go after each other here on the board, but how does his dad feel about his son being the scapegoat anytime Michigan state is playing bad 

4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Rob has to score too though.  He had 4 assists and 2 TOs but zero points.  Now I think he is generally a better floor leader than Green, but if you look at the box score last night, Green was 3 assists, 2 TOs, and 4 points.

I am annoyed with our upperclassmen because I expect more from 3 and 4 year players...BUT...some people are saying they cannot wait for the Crean guys to move on.  Well the Archie guys were a combined 0-9 from the field, 0-2 from 3, had 4 assists and 3 turnovers.  It isn't like our younger guys are really performing all that well either.

Smith is another guy who gets a bunch of crap, but for a team that had trouble scoring, he and TJD were the only ones in double figures last night.  Davis and Brunk had 6 each.  The staff did an abysmal job of making the guards go inside every trip down the floor last night and Miller did not do his job by effectively contesting the way the game was called last night.  When he got the tech I thought, "finally he said something".  However, he immediately began arguing that he did not do anything...the players were not fighting for a win last night and I feel that Archie was not either.  If you are getting hosed on the road, you need to show your guys that you are standing up for them.

Next year is next year but we are going to have the same type of discussion in the next offseason that we have had since the last.  Where are the points coming from in the backcourt and wing?  I would submit that we will have people building up the 3 freshmen who will be disappointed when they play like a freshmen with their ranking should.  Help is not on the way for next year.

I think I agree with all of that except I don’t have much time in watching any of the 2020 class but I’ve seen Galloway the most and he could be a pleasant surprise 

1 minute ago, IUskim said:

Not to go off topic or maybe I am since every time we lose we seem to just go after each other here on the board, but how does his dad feel about his son being the scapegoat anytime Michigan state is playing bad 

I never heard him talk about that so I don't know.  I do know he always sounds bitter when talking about IU and Archie because he felt they were not treated really well.

3 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I think I agree with all of that except I don’t have much time in watching any of the 2020 class but I’ve seen Galloway the most and he could be a pleasant surprise 

Also, I don't want that to be taken as a knock on the kids coming in.  I just don't think that any of them should carry any expectation of being an immediate answer to our issues.  If one develops into that, great, but they are mostly ranked down in the area where we should rationally be expecting them to need a year or two before we would count on them as being an impactful player.

7 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

Why are you shaking your head?  The team didn't turn the corner we thought they had after the NW game.  In fact, that was the worst basketball we've played all year.  I'm not sure what response we should have.  

JSMH

Archived