DJ Carton "Stepping Away" form OSU Program

IUFLA

11 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Hope the best for him. Sometimes we forget that these young men we root for have things going on that we cant begin to imagine.  Prayers for the healing he needs to get back to playing but more importantly his life ahead 

Unfortunately.....speaking for all sports fans in general,.... we can often become selfish, judgmental and most of all very opinionated about our teams, coaches and players. Whether it's mental issues, family issues or the pressure of school work along with the demands of playing in college,......Players can become very overwhelmed, discouraged and transparent. I witnessed that first hand with my daughter playing college softball. It is brutal.....

It's gotta be tough on some of these kids to go from being hailed as the 'next greatest thing', with no real pressure on them, being told over and over how great they are. To then be thrown directly in the eye of the hurricane, especially into a big time program that then struggles. I think the OSU fanbase has been pretty vocal about him and his play so far. I know many would say that's what they signed up for, but it still has to sting.  You would hope these young guys have people around them to help prep them and keep them 'grounded', I'm sure not all do.

Makes me appreciate the way Romeo handled things last year. Good kid, raised right, tough year, did what he could. 

Hopefully young Mr Carton works it out.

13 minutes ago, ColtsIUDomer said:

It's gotta be tough on some of these kids to go from being hailed as the 'next greatest thing', with no real pressure on them, being told over and over how great they are. To then be thrown directly in the eye of the hurricane, especially into a big time program that then struggles. I think the OSU fanbase has been pretty vocal about him and his play so far. I know many would say that's what they signed up for, but it still has to sting.  You would hope these young guys have people around them to help prep them and keep them 'grounded', I'm sure not all do.

Makes me appreciate the way Romeo handled things last year. Good kid, raised right, tough year, did what he could. 

Hopefully young Mr Carton works it out.

I'm going to tread lightly on what I say but I know a couple people close to this family. When your kid was raised as "the man" or "the next stud this or that" for years.....and aren't used to people or fans criticisms it can take a serious toll. Choosing to leave home and not only spurn the home area program in Iowa....but off to Ohio St where fans have been chewing him up all year is quite the adjustment.

I pulled up his Mom's social media and in the last 1-2 weeks the things she likes the most are trying to be positive and not rip the players,etc...to me it kind of says both kid and mom/dad were not ready for the mental side of things at all. People rarely are I guess.

To me these kids are under such pressure growing up from parents and coaches to be the next big thing that it can be overwhelming.  Like others have said the fans can be brutal and they do have effect on players and that is why we need to be careful about what is said on social media.  We all need to realize that they are humans and will make mistakes and they are not put here just for our enjoyment.  These kids have lives away from the court and they are just kids who goes through the same problems that all other students go through.

I know we all do it but what gives us the right to come n message boards or social media and just rip a player or coach just because they did not perform up to our expectations  We are just fans and we don't put the countless hours working hard on their games and trying to get better.  We just sit in front of a TV or sitting in a seat in the arena and have nothing to do with what happens on the court. 

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Choosing to leave home and not only spurn the home area program in Iowa....but off to Ohio St where fans have been chewing him up all year is quite the adjustment.

Has already been suggested by poster on OSU site that this may be a set-up to enable a transfer closer to home w/o losing eligibility. Sure it is....

32 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Has already been suggested by poster on OSU site that this may be a set-up to enable a transfer closer to home w/o losing eligibility. Sure it is....

In this day and age I guess nothing is impossible. I do know the kids Dad pulled him from one high school and moved him to another for more exposure. Never know I guess.

First, good for him and props to him for having the inner strength and resolve to address his mental health. That should come first, and the way he is going about this speaks volumes to his character. Best wishes to him.

Second, this is another example of the pressure these kids -- and yes they are college kids, young adults, however you want to characterize them, they're young -- are under.

It's a chance for people on message boards and social media to take a step back for a minute and recognize that they're talking about college kids / young men, who are guys who are often working through a lot of things.

I read all these comments thinking about how IU fans chew up Devonte Green among others. I wish I could be more optimistic that reading something like Carton's story might make some people think about how they talk about these kids just because they are selfishly upset about the results and feel entitled to winning. Sad thing is, what I read here about IU players is mild compared to what I see elsewhere on social media. That aside, I hope every poster participating in this forum thinks about DJ Carton whenever they are tempted to post something nasty about an IU player.  These kids expect it from opposing fans but it's got to hurt coming from supposed IU fans.

Huge fan of Carton. Despite his play against IU he's a tremendously talented player and I wish him the best in his journey. 

38 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I read all these comments thinking about how IU fans chew up Devonte Green among others. I wish I could be more optimistic that reading something like Carton's story might make some people think about how they talk about these kids just because they are selfishly upset about the results and feel entitled to winning. Sad thing is, what I read here about IU players is mild compared to what I see elsewhere on social media. That aside, I hope every poster participating in this forum thinks about DJ Carton whenever they are tempted to post something nasty about an IU player.  These kids expect it from opposing fans but it's got to hurt coming from supposed IU fans.

Huge fan of Carton. Despite his play against IU he's a tremendously talented player and I wish him the best in his journey. 

I know I sure do and shouldn't have gone to the game thread the other night because it does no good.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Not sure specifically what Carton's situation is, but I wish the young man the best.

As for what you are saying, the issue boils down to the difference between critique and criticism. Simple as that!  

Brave of Carton to come forward about this. 

unfortunately there’s still a stigma attached to mental health. Great for Carton to be open about this vs being ashamed. I’m sure he has already positively affected others just by talking about it - reminding others who suffer from mental health that it’s okay not to be okay.

seriously, props to him. 👊  

As a man that has family who have a strong history of Bipolar  disorder. I like to think that he gets the help that he needs. Mental health takes a toll on everyone that is involved with family  members where a disorder is noticed. With meds. and a good Dr, it can be helped to keep these issues under control not CURED. My family members meds. have to be adj. alot. I hope he gets the Help he needs. As many have stated I wish he was at IU but more important get your life straight 1st and then be the best BB PLAYER you can be! Proud of you you man. Prayers sent for speedy recovery!!

Archived