DJ Carton "Stepping Away" form OSU Program

IUFLA

Life of a B10 Frosh.  It’s no coincidence that earlier in the yr OSU was a top 3 team ready to become #1 until their collapse.  DJ was an important part of their early success but once he found the rookie wall it was downhill from there.  I wish this kid the best of luck in recovering his game or health!

Thought I would follow up on this one. He was back home last night watching his former team (Bettendorf) play. In the stands, plenty of hugs and high fives. I'm not going to comment on the mental health aspect of his leaving Ohio St but to me from the outside.....looks like a kid who just wants to be closer to home. Maybe the isolation at Ohio St just kept eating at him. 

I faced a lot of stress and soul-searching as a freshman (calculus, physics, chemistry) and really felt like the weight of the world was on my shoulders - and I didn't face the added pressure of being a competitive athlete.

DJ, like all freshmen and young people, is dealing with huge changes in his daily life.  Sometimes it just takes a while to adapt and adjust.  Sometimes personal changes need to be made to facilitate those adjustments.  Larry Bird and Luke Fisher are just two examples of many who had similar experiences.

I think the unrelenting negative feedback from social media would be tough to take as an 18 y/o kid. I certainly couldn't have taken a job at that age where someone was constantly verbally attacking. I  hear the people who say stay away from social media then, but that just isn't life today as a college student. Thankfully this board isn't filled with negative posters. But go look at even the IU bball official twitter page, and there are some people who just appear to revel in writing something negative. I think they (players and their families) are awfully strong people to take the level of criticism that is pointed in their direction. JMO

Archived