Indiana University vs Ohio State Pre-game Thread

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be interested to see if CAM will honor his commitment "to play 5 all day" if he gets the energy and effort we so desperately need from anyone on the team.

I thought the guys would be pissed from the MD game going into PSU, but (sigh) I was wrong, yet again. To me, they came off looking like "I don't give a ____".

It's almost depressing to watch these guys go thru the motions, instead of having a killer instinct. When they play well, they're electric. When they're lazy, well...(you fill in the words)

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Just terrible. Awful. So blatantly bad. 

Lol, what a joke.

90% of the time he is “just terrible, awful, so blatantly bad, and a joke” including the last two minutes of that game, but hey, why should I expect a senior to be a leader and make better decisions down the stretch? Thanks for the thoughtful post.

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Green can be frustrating at times, but we are not even in a position to win that game without him. 

That could be true, but I expect a senior to make better decisions in crucial times, and he never does, so that kind of cancels out anything good he does WHEN he does anything good. 

17 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Being told to expect Jerome Hunter to be ready for OSU,

I hope this is true. I thought he and Trace could have changed the Penn St. game in the 1st half. I thought we could have been up 10 + at the half if they could have played. Not a knock on the guys that did get the minutes but these 2 had a great game or 2 coming in. 

1 hour ago, loviubb said:

I hope this is true. I thought he and Trace could have changed the Penn St. game in the 1st half. I thought we could have been up 10 + at the half if they could have played. Not a knock on the guys that did get the minutes but these 2 had a great game or 2 coming in. 

Still don't know about Race Thompson for who asked about him above.  But I do know that Jerome was back at practice on Thursday.

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Still don't know about Race Thompson for who asked about him above.  But I do know that Jerome was back at practice on Thursday.

Sorry Mile, your only answering questions but if this game comes down to Race Thompson or Jerome Hunters avail we are in serious trouble as a fanbase!  Guess Rob, TJD, Brunk, Hunter, Durham, etc disappointing performances are racking up?

Personally, hard to be confident following the Maryland choke (Yes, we played well, but it was still a choke in the end.) and the Penn State debacle. Plus there's the revenge factor for OSU. I suppose the unpredictability of this teams offers some hope for  a good performance, but that's not saying all that much.

The hold the home court thing still would put us in pretty good position. Yet with two of the five left against ranked opponents and one against Purdue, realizing that objective is far from a given. As I stated in the Maryland post-game thread, our response to that loss over the remainder of a challenging schedule would tell me a lot about how far the team has truly come. First step down that road was not a good showing. Next three games will be pivotal. Poor result in that stretch will put us in a serious hole given how difficult the schedule is. 

30 minutes ago, D-BONE said:

Personally, hard to be confident following the Maryland choke (Yes, we played well, but it was still a choke in the end.) and the Penn State debacle. Plus there's the revenge factor for OSU. I suppose the unpredictability of this teams offers some hope for  a good performance, but that's not saying all that much.

The hold the home court thing still would put us in pretty good position. Yet with two of the five left against ranked opponents and one against Purdue, realizing that objective is far from a given. As I stated in the Maryland post-game thread, our response to that loss over the remainder of a challenging schedule would tell me a lot about how far the team has truly come. First step down that road was not a good showing. Next three games will be pivotal. Poor result in that stretch will put us in a serious hole given how difficult the schedule is. 

I definitely think you could characterize part of the failing at Penn State as a failure of confidence. While the game was still close (first half and first 8 minutes of the second) our guys seemed to still be so unsure. Our reactions to good plays was relief more than energy. Our reaction to poor plays was discouragement rather than determination. Some of this came from the fact that Penn State had a week to prepare and had fully scouted many of our go to actions. They were jumping passing lanes knowing where we wanted to go with the ball. We did not respond to that effectively at all. In some cases, a simple ball fake and a back cut would have set the Penn State defense scrambling and we would have gotten some clean looks. The staff needed to help our team have a better response to that and to the physical switch everything defense that Penn State was using. I thought that our staff had a poor game in that regard. We might have benefitted from simply putting our bigs in the short corner and find a matchup where our guards could get into the lane and force help rather than sticking with our shell-shocked approach.

Winning on the road at OSU will be very difficult to be sure. They have had a week to prepare as well.

It is a homecoming game for Jerome Hunter, that will be interesting to watch. It's the back half of the schedule and our guys have every opportunity to get themselves into the tournament. I actually believe if they only win four more they would still be in. Five more seals it in my mind. Stealing one on the road the rest of the way would really put us in a good position given our five home games left. Any win that we get form here on out will count as a good win, and some of them would count as great wins. I still have optimism. Making the tournament would do a great deal to shape the narrative going forward. I'm tired of reading posters on here who are already acting like we missed it this year.

3 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

It's game day!

Coach Miller will soon give the "wheel of fortune" a spin to see which variation of our team will compete today.  Prediction? I have absolutely no idea but at this point nothing will come as a complete surprise.

That said, fingers crossed.

Hope for the best, be prepared for the worst.

10 minutes ago, rico said:

Hope for the best, be prepared for the worst.

Rico!  we are agreeing a little bit more all the time!  you better watch out!  for those that think i am hoping for failure, the best i can offer is this mentality.  i am definitely a guarded coach and sports fan.  i hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.  that said, i hope so much that we win this game, then win out at home and make the big dance.  i will just be very surprised if we win this one or any others on the road.  if we don't, i still think it's going to be shaky if we make the dance or not.  again, regardless of what some of you believe, i will be happy if we win today and you come on and say, ha!  i told you so!  i'll happily agree.  i still say we'll lose and things will get even uglier on this board!  i for one will not get any uglier because it's what i expect and will continue to say the jury is out on Arch for another year and that i'm skeptical we'll make the NCAA this year or next.

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Rico!  we are agreeing a little bit more all the time!  you better watch out!  for those that think i am hoping for failure, the best i can offer is this mentality.  i am definitely a guarded coach and sports fan.  i hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.  that said, i hope so much that we win this game, then win out at home and make the big dance.  i will just be very surprised if we win this one or any others on the road.  if we don't, i still think it's going to be shaky if we make the dance or not.  again, regardless of what some of you believe, i will be happy if we win today and you come on and say, ha!  i told you so!  i'll happily agree.  i still say we'll lose and things will get even uglier on this board!  i for one will not get any uglier because it's what i expect and will continue to say the jury is out on Arch for another year and that i'm skeptical we'll make the NCAA this year or next.

Anyone who thinks that you want us to lose is insane. I haven’t pledged my allegiance to either the he is or isn’t the guy side. At times I relate to the feelings of those in both camps. I’ll have a better feel of where I stand sometime in March. Wherever we come down, we’re all in this together. 

Archived