Ohio State post-game thread

Reacher

I would look long and hard at sending either Brunk or Smith to the bench and inserting Hunter with the starters. As it stands, Smith, Brunk, Jackson Davis give you no ability to space the floor. None of them is a consistent threat even from midrange. It might actually allow them more freedom to work inside.  And Durham/Phinisee - while they can hit some 3s - are far from snipers. 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only watched the 2nd half. Followed score some on my phone prior. What I saw was too many stretches where we just looked like we were going through the motions. As poorly as we played, we were still in the game in the second half. Yet despite opening with a little hot streak on offense, I didn't sense much fire or passion. Our struggles on the boards and in 50/50 balls, etc. would indicate that lack of aggression. Lethargy is a recipe for losing road or home. Gotta fix that immediately b/c Purdue sure as hell isn't going to come to Bloomington and just lay down. Ditto for Iowa.

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Archie in the post game presser...

"You can't play hard and practice soft."

"Players need to hear each other more than they need to hear me."

Without watching the post game, which I normally do.  All talk!  Still playing those players who are playing soft in practice, cardinal rule to not not play those players.  

Man, this team when they lose always looks a step slow.  It's all effort and focus.  That is on the coach.  Hate to say it as I always defend.

Why not the players?  They are being played by the coach and the coach keeps letting it happen.  Differnet story if this was a team of lessse talent.

Justin Smith, although in position, is not a grinder and he usually gets the most minutes.

We need a point guard, man we need one.  With the autonomy in the offense and emphasis on making basketball decisions, we need one.  A spark plug.

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

Me too! I haven't watched the last two games and I don't feel bad about it one bit. I am doing a complete bathroom makeover so today I was tearing out a couple of walls and laminate flooring. Tomorrow I get up in the attic to remove some blown-in fiberglass insulation and run some wiring for recessed lighting and a new light/bath fan combination.  

When you finish . I have a few projects that I am not skilled enough to do.😉

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I would not consider getting in by winning the B1G Tournament would be considered getting in by the skin of our teeth. Nor would I feel that way, by winning all the way to the championship game.  The way this season has gone for the entire B1G, I could see that happening.  Let's not forget we are on a three game roll against Michigan State... a team many early on had winning it all.

I didnt mean winning the BTT.  I meant being an 18 to 20 win bubble team in which he are heading toward 

26 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I didnt mean winning the BTT.  I meant being an 18 to 20 win bubble team in which he are heading toward 

Watching the finish of the Rutgers/Michigan game.  Showed a stat.  IU with a 46 NET ranking.  Fully qualified. And no need to win the BTT.  And Andy Katz has IU in the Dance, along with 11 other B1G teams. 

I agree. And have posted as much. 20 wins is, and traditionally is the MAGIC number.  However, this is a weird year.  Unlike any I have ever seen before.

You are a good guy, B. And I hope you don't take my exception as an affront to you personally. 

22 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Watching the finish of the Rutgers/Michigan game.  Showed a stat.  IU with a 46 NET ranking.  Fully qualified. And no need to win the BTT.  And Andy Katz has IU in the Dance, along with 11 other B1G teams. 

I agree that we will get in. I just hate that we are celebrating something that should be a given. We have been reduced to being 1 of those teams that gather and celebrate when their name appears on selection Sunday and to me that is sad

19 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree that we will get in. I just hate that we are celebrating something that should be a given. We have been reduced to being 1 of those teams that gather and celebrate when their name appears on selection Sunday and to me that is sad

I hear ya.

4 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

It’s not the players it’s the system. Evan Fitzner was a great shooter he came here and couldn’t hit wide open ones. 

41% - Saint Mary
43% -Saint Mary
40% - Saint Mary
30%  - Indiana 

Yeah sure it was a coincidence 

Because whatever conference that is plays the same type of D, right? Even some of you guys can't believe the stuff you type.

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

if we get in the NCAA tourney, i am very happy with this season.  

Narcissism much? You bang the product and staff.....but come in with how you'll be happy for this. It's almost like you say I love you so much honey I had to hit you? Haha...wow on some of the posts.

They say the players don’t read the press clippings, but I don’t believe it. We come out on away games like we’re beat already from the jump. So many missed layups that tells me it’s a mental thing for them all. I don’t understand how these players are ok with losing and no one steps up to right the ship in away games. There’s no fire, and so many times on the sidelines, Archie looks resigned to taking the loss and moving onto the next. It’s obvious at this point this team will not change this season and it’s hard to be an apathetic fan, but if I don’t, I’m going to go nuts

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

That... to me is a shame.  Currently, despite the recent performances, IU is still in the hunt for a NCAAT bid.  And that's not me talking. But rather, more that one bracket gurus.

And then.  And then.  Oh I know, that IU has never won the B1G championship.  However, considering how the B1G season has gone so far, Indy is as close to home court advantage as IU can ask for.

When a person like Hoosier Guy over on BB starts supporting a firing you know it’s all over.  

7 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

When a person like Hoosier Guy over on BB starts supporting a firing you know it’s all over.  

Don't know  who Hoosier Guy is.  Regardless of who he is. I am sure he is frustrated. Like many of us.  I have been an IU fan since Walter Bellamy.  Dare I say... "I have seen it all."  Never once did I give up on Indiana. Not during the time I was a student in the late '60's.  Lou Watson.... oooph.  Not during Crean's first two years at IU.  And I am not giving up prior to half time, as I saw one poster during the game today.  I love IUBB too much, and have gone through too much with them since the 1950's... to ever give up on them. 

Choose your team.  And stay with them. Through thick or thin. 

Just now, milehiiu said:

Don't know  who Hoosier Guy is.  Regardless of who he is. I am sure he is frustrated. Like many of us.  I have been an IU fan since Walter Bellamy.  Dare I say... "I have seen it all."  Never once did I give up on Indiana. Not during the time I was a student in the late '60's.  Lou Watson.... oooph.  Not during Crean's first two years at IU.  And I am not giving up prior to half time, as I saw one poster during the game today.  I love IUBB too much, and have gone through too much with them since the 1950's... to ever give up on them. 

Choose your team.  And stay with them. Through thick or thin. 

I'm with ya, mile...

39 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Narcissism much? You bang the product and staff.....but come in with how you'll be happy for this. It's almost like you say I love you so much honey I had to hit you? Haha...wow on some of the posts.

man, i don't get this.  i really don't understand why you came at me for this one.  i actually have not been banging the staff.  i have stayed consistent with i am undecided on my opinion of Archie.  i have said i don't think we'll make it this year, but he definitely deserves another year.  then i said if we don't make next year either, it is probably time.  that's about it.  i really haven't questioned nearly as much as most.  not the offense or defense as a matter of fact.  i'm not crazy about the rotation some times and that's about all.  i do say that i'm not crazy about some of the players, but pretty sure everyone does that?  i'm sorry if you don't believe that i would be happy if we made the NCAA tourney this year, but i assure you that i would.  sorry if you feel the need to call me names and attack me and even compare me to a wife beater?  kind of over the top maybe?

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

When you finish . I have a few projects that I am not skilled enough to do.😉

Shane, if I lived closer I would help you out in a heartbeat. I am 65 years old so this will be my last big project. We bought this house a couple years ago and we have done everything to it. Windows, doors, siding, landscaping, kitchen flooring, and some carpet.

The bathroom is a total remodel. Taking out a fiberglass tub shower and putting in a walk in tile shower, new floor, new recessed lights, removed a pantry from the kitchen which will allow us to go from a 42"  vanity to a 60" vanity. Total cost will be about 10 grand.

1 minute ago, jefftheref said:

Why are they playing if they practice soft? If that is happening then that is on the coaching staff!

I don't know...I'm not at the practices, but your leaders have to practice the hardest...everything is on them to make sure the whole team is practicing hard...

I will say this, though...I heard Archie say the soft practice/play hard quote earlier in the year, and if memory serves it was directed at TJD...

5 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

It’s not the players it’s the system. Evan Fitzner was a great shooter he came here and couldn’t hit wide open ones. 

41% - Saint Mary
43% -Saint Mary
40% - Saint Mary
30%  - Indiana 

Yeah sure it was a coincidence 

His teams at Dayton shot 35+% 4 out of his 6 years at Dayton so he has had good shooting teams before.

Archived