Ohio State post-game thread

Reacher

4 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

It may be the system and Archie it may not be.  The point is that we’re in year 3 and he’s a 100% responsible for this roster.  He’s had more than enough time to fix things and next year likely won’t be any better.  It will be a lot worse if Trayce bolts.

Ive been reading the various message boards and Twitter and the vast majority of the fan base has checked out and wants Archie gone.  I don’t see how he recovers at this point.

Tell those fans don't let the door hit them in their a$$ on the way out of the door.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Don't know  who Hoosier Guy is.  Regardless of who he is. I am sure he is frustrated. Like many of us.  I have been an IU fan since Walter Bellamy.  Dare I say... "I have seen it all."  Never once did I give up on Indiana. Not during the time I was a student in the late '60's.  Lou Watson.... oooph.  Not during Crean's first two years at IU.  And I am not giving up prior to half time, as I saw one poster during the game today.  I love IUBB too much, and have gone through too much with them since the 1950's... to ever give up on them. 

Choose your team.  And stay with them. Through thick or thin. 

Fans should be frustrated but if you  give up on your team then to me you are not a real fan but a bandwagon fa

4 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Haven't watched Dayton this year, so question for anyone who may follow them. Anthony Grant was 117-85 at Alabama and was fired end of year 6.  First two years at Dayton was 35-29. This year 19-2. Has he changed his system or is Obi Toppin just that dominant?

Obi is dominant offensively but not a great banger defensively down low.  Would not be quite that renowned if he played in the B1G.   However the two seniors Landers and Mikesell, both non top 150 recruits were recruited by Archie.  Grant has done a great job of assembling the rest of the team

58 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

man, i don't get this.  i really don't understand why you came at me for this one.  i actually have not been banging the staff.  i have stayed consistent with i am undecided on my opinion of Archie.  i have said i don't think we'll make it this year, but he definitely deserves another year.  then i said if we don't make next year either, it is probably time.  that's about it.  i really haven't questioned nearly as much as most.  not the offense or defense as a matter of fact.  i'm not crazy about the rotation some times and that's about all.  i do say that i'm not crazy about some of the players, but pretty sure everyone does that?  i'm sorry if you don't believe that i would be happy if we made the NCAA tourney this year, but i assure you that i would.  sorry if you feel the need to call me names and attack me and even compare me to a wife beater?  kind of over the top maybe?

Come on dude. You show up infinitely more when times are bad to say I told you so.....yet that isn't even to be determined. I didn't call you call you names but I gave an example of what narcissism is about. Sorry you aren't seeing the difference. My apologies though. I typically don't engage.....but this is 3rd loss in a row where the I told you so mantra from a few have come calling. My mistake to you and the board. Won't happen again.

4 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

It may be the system and Archie it may not be.  The point is that we’re in year 3 and he’s a 100% responsible for this roster.  He’s had more than enough time to fix things and next year likely won’t be any better.  It will be a lot worse if Trayce bolts.

Ive been reading the various message boards and Twitter and the vast majority of the fan base has checked out and wants Archie gone.  I don’t see how he recovers at this point.

Disagree with being 100% responsible for this roster.  Year 1 was 100% Crean's players.   Archie is going no where until his contract is up nor is Trayce bolting.  Being not any better next year is about as negative as one could get.  

2 minutes ago, Rogermci said:

Disagree with being 100% responsible for this roster.  Year 1 was 100% Crean's players.   Archie is going no where until his contract is up nor is Trayce bolting.  Being not any better next year is about as negative as one could get.  

I'm not confident our guard play will be much better.  Same guys a year older minus DG.  We have one of the worst backcourts in the Big 10 right now.  All 3 of Rob, Al, and Armann would need to improve significantly for us to move to a top 4-5 Big 10 team and tournament lock.  

11 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

I'm not confident our guard play will be much better.  Same guys a year older minus DG.  We have one of the worst backcourts in the Big 10 right now.  All 3 of Rob, Al, and Armann would need to improve significantly for us to move to a top 4-5 Big 10 team and tournament lock.  

So you think both Trey and Leal will be a bust?  Or might Geronimo not bring a needed motor to the team?  A healthy Rob, Race and Jerome will make no difference?  Trayce and Armann becoming sophomores won't help? 

I'm not happy with this years results either.   But I'm not slitting my wrists quite yet.  

13 minutes ago, Rogermci said:

So you think both Trey and Leal will be a bust?  Or might Geronimo not bring a needed motor to the team?  A healthy Rob, Race and Jerome will make no difference?  Trayce and Armann becoming sophomores won't help? 

I'm not happy with this years results either.   But I'm not slitting my wrists quite yet.  

The freshman will be solid contributors (or more) by their 2nd or 3rd years.  I'm talking about next year.  Jerome may be a lot better.  I think Rob and Al are sort of who they are.  And dont know yet about Armann.  We need a huge talent upgrade in the backcourt to be competitive for more than middle of the pack Big 10 seeding and bubble watching.  2021 could be a good year, depends on the talent we bring in and the development of the current young players.  I'm just not super optimistic based off the last season and a half.  And I'm not saying Archie is the problem either.  I like Archie.  I'm not sure many head coaches would have success here right now. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Come on dude. You show up infinitely more when times are bad to say I told you so.....yet that isn't even to be determined. I didn't call you call you names but I gave an example of what narcissism is about. Sorry you aren't seeing the difference. My apologies though. I typically don't engage.....but this is 3rd loss in a row where the I told you so mantra from a few have come calling. My mistake to you and the board. Won't happen again.

it's okay if you want to take shots at me.  as i said before, it's not my style.  i don't take shots at people.  i just give my opinions and agree or disagree.  you can view me however you want.  i was just surprised this time.  i didn't think my comment about being happy if they make the tournament was a bad thing or would draw that kind of fire.  you're fine though.  we can agree to disagree.  

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Fans should be frustrated but if you  give up on your team then to me you are not a real fan but a bandwagon fa

Nobody is giving up on this team otherwise they wouldn’t be here campaigning for change!  We’re fed up with the crap that is being displayed and the worst part of it is lack of WANT.  If CAM can’t get his team to run through a brick wall then he is not a good coach.  Call it Creans players all you want but we’re having doubts that next yr will be all that different.  The guy about cried he got a tech after a his players once again showed zero effort.  He’s over his head at this level and it’s quite puzzling to see the ole faithful fans standing behind this crap and to top it off state we’re not real fans.  We’re BornHoosiers who expect more is all.

1 hour ago, Rogermci said:

Talent is not the issue with this team it’s Heart & Development!  It’s alarming how Rob has not taken the next step & some could argue he had a better Frosh season than Soph regardless of injuries.  Justin Smith has all the athleticism in the world but Archie has yet to develop him into a superstar.  It’s pretty bold to bank on all these returning players to take the next step when current players shown no improvement.  2020-2021 season will be the TELL ALL.

20 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Talent is not the issue with this team it’s Heart & Development!  It’s alarming how Rob has not taken the next step & some could argue he had a better Frosh season than Soph regardless of injuries.  Justin Smith has all the athleticism in the world but Archie has yet to develop him into a superstar.  It’s pretty bold to bank on all these returning players to take the next step when current players shown no improvement.  2020-2021 season will be the TELL ALL.

Are you serious Clark? Develop into a superstar? The rims aren’t football shaped like a carnival game. If you arrive on a Div1 power 5 college campus as a scholarship basketball player 18 years of age, having played basketball since the age of five or six, and you can’t put the ball in the hoop, your in the wrong sport and have somehow fooled a lot of people along the way.

Also, if you think that all a player has to do is show up with their shoes and the rest is completely up to the coaching staff then you are misinformed.

You get out of it what you put in it. Never more.

4 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Are you serious Clark? Develop into a superstar? The rims aren’t football shaped like a carnival game. If you arrive on a Div1 power 5 college campus as a scholarship basketball player 18 years of age, having played basketball since the age of five or six, and you can’t put the ball in the hoop, your in the wrong sport and have somehow fooled a lot of people along the way.

Also, if you think that all a player has to do is show up with their shoes and the rest is completely up to the coaching staff then you are misinformed.

You get out of it what you put in it. Never more.

I couldn’t agree more about how in the H*^^ do we recruit players who couldn’t hit water if they fell out of a boat.  I will give you one example, Victor Oladipo.  His shot was so broke that I cringed every time he shot but you know what?  He improved every yr to eventually become that superstar that Clark W Griswold only dreamed of.  Take shots at Crean all we want but all his players seemed to get better, not worse.  Are you saying it was all the players drive to become great?  I’d say look again Cousin Eddie cuz that right there is what you call an RV!  Sorry, I love that movie and had to do it!  I will agree that it takes a perfect marriage, player want & Staff ability to develop.

Just watched the replay and not sure why but came away with reasons why we lost:

1 - Could not guard the 3.  IU could never get back into this game because OSU hit a big 3 after 3.  Our Guards continue to play in the paint & leave the kickout wide open.  Season long problem that doesn’t seem to get better.

2 - Did not win the 50/50 battle.  How many times did OSU out hustle IU on the boards?  Enough to make a noticeable difference.  Vs MSU, it was noticeable IU wanted it more and today you could see OSU wanted it more.  No coincidence of the outcome.

3 - TJD first fg came with 5 min left in the first half.  Let me repeat, our best player didn’t get his first fg until 5 min left of the first half!  Only finished with 7 pts but didn’t seem like the OFF plan was to go through TJD which is puzzling??

4 - Brunk has arguably played his worst two games as a HOOSIER in back to back road games.  Both games he couldn’t guard his man and they torched him beyond the arc & on hustle plays.  Here lately he can’t even hit an easy bunny layup which is embarrassing.  I feel he needs to stop hesitating & go up strong right away but hope coaches let him know.  By far our worst player the last two games.

5 - Lack of Trust and Cohesion amongst the team.  No matter the lineup it feels there is no rhythm or cohesion and you can see the frustration on the players faces.  They are lost.

The next two home games will define this season as losses will sure derail any post season dreams.  

Rob/Al

Franklin/Al

Hunter/Smith

TJD/Smith 

Brunk/Race

Ride it to the end of the season. Rotate those 3 guards around. Limited minutes for anyone else.  Build on it for next year.  This team isn’t making any noise this year. Smith should be coming off the bench as well.  
Every 10th game Green may get hot and pull out a win for you Archie.  Is it worth it?  

Archived