Shittu to Vandy

CauseThatsMyDJ

Garland to Vandy makes complete sense to me. Nothing about that is shady to me. While we all would have loved him at IU, staying home is something some guys want, even 5*'s. 

With that said, if Vandy adds Langford to Garland and Shittu, then I'm firmly in the "shady" camp. That's a UK/Duke type class at freaking Vanderbilt. I don't care if Bryce Drew played a few years in the NBA, he's never coached a 5* at any level and has never (as far as I know) put a kid in the NBA, and now he's landing 3 top 10 players at Vanderbilt?!?! Again, that's a class Cal, Coach K, Self, Miller (AZ), etc. would happily take, at Vanderbilt. 

If it happens, it might literally be the greatest recruiting haul, given the coach/school, in the history of college basketball. Definitely fishy IMO. 

•  

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Garland to Vandy makes complete sense to me. Nothing about that is shady to me. While we all would have loved him at IU, staying home is something some guys want, even 5*'s. 

With that said, if Vandy adds Langford to Garland and Shittu, then I'm firmly in the "shady" camp. That's a UK/Duke type class at freaking Vanderbilt. I don't care if Bryce Drew played a few years in the NBA, he's never coached a 5* at any level and has never (as far as I know) put a kid in the NBA, and now he's landing 3 top 10 players at Vanderbilt?!?! Again, that's a class Cal, Coach K, Self, Miller (AZ), etc. would happily take, at Vanderbilt. 

If it happens, it might literally be the greatest recruiting haul, given the coach/school, in the history of college basketball. Definitely fishy IMO. 

•  

I think the same thing and how shady his brother is it makes you think

Not sure I agree with the suggestions that something possibly "shady" is going on. Bryce Drew, as far as I know, has never committed any major infractions nor has been suspected of being dirty somehow. Garland is a hometown kid that wants to stay home. Shittu and Garland played together and bonded on their AAU team. Voila! I get that Vanderbilt isn't a "basketball school", but sometimes the stars align and programs get better. I'd like to think that Bryce just did a really good job of selling these kids on being a part of something special, which is exactly what we're counting on Archie and his staff to do. I'd prefer he keep his hands off of Romeo, but all is fair in love and cbball recruiting.  

However, as a Valpo native- I would say the following.

1.  The Drews (at least Homer and Bryce) are more ethical than most coaches.

2.  Don't judge Bryce by the actions of Scott.....Scott was definitely the one who seemed most likely to bend the rules.

3.  Even though I'm defending Bryce in this post....Nothing really surprises me anymore as a fan.  If a school lands good recruits, whether it's Kentucky, Indiana, or Vandy, I assume there's a chance they may have done something shady. It's just that clear that recruiting the best players in the nation is a dirty business.   

So there's my defense (sort of) of Bryce.  I like Bryce-  a lot of people like Bryce.  But hey- it is recruiting and his bro definitely has a track record.  

While I hope we land Romeo, I also hope things work out well for Vandy and that they success is has been achieved ethically.

36 minutes ago, rico said:

People forget that Bryce landed Alec Peters.  He was a known commodity.

To be fair. Peters was a very loyal and small town guy from the start. Him choosing a small school/situation like Valpo wasn't a surprise. Farm kid, farm values. Valpo was a perfect fit. Not saying that Bryce didn't do a good job of recruiting him but knowing the situation a little let's just say Bryce didn't have to recruit him hard. 

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

To be fair. Peters was a very loyal and small town guy from the start. Him choosing a small school/situation like Valpo wasn't a surprise. Farm kid, farm values. Valpo was a perfect fit. Not saying that Bryce didn't do a good job of recruiting him but knowing the situation a little let's just say Bryce didn't have to recruit him hard. 

He also wasn’t offered a scholarship by any team in a power 5 conference except for Tennessee. What he’s doing now at Vandy is a far bigger jump than getting a kid rated outside the top 250 to Valpo

6 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

He also wasn’t offered a scholarship by any team in a power 5 conference except for Tennessee. What he’s doing now at Vandy is a far bigger jump than getting a kid rated outside the top 250 to Valpo

Yep. I don't like being part of the "pedalling cynicism as wisdom" crowd but Vandy getting 2 5 star guys with potential for more. Sorry. Just don't buy it. 

52 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That wasn't really my point.  My bad.  Peters signed with a NBA team.  So Drew has put a guy in the association.  And if IIRC correctly, Alec had offers from Mizzou and Boston College.  And that is all I can think of.

Back to the situation at Vandy.  It is raising my eyebrow.  I can see a kid going there for a good education on a BB scholly.  But if I knew I was a lock for the NBA draft....there is no way in hell I would pick Vandy.  

19 minutes ago, rico said:

That wasn't really my point.  My bad.  Peters signed with a NBA team.  So Drew has put a guy in the association.  And if IIRC correctly, Alec had offers from Mizzou and Boston College.  And that is all I can think of.

Back to the situation at Vandy.  It is raising my eyebrow.  I can see a kid going there for a good education on a BB scholly.  But if I knew I was a lock for the NBA draft....there is no way in hell I would pick Vandy.  

Agree all day. My brother in law (IU undergrad, Vandy Law School) is completely puzzled. It isn't adding up. Oh well. If Romeo chooses us I could care less. If Romeo chooses Vandy...I bet we won't be the only ones around the country what in the world is going on down there.

This could be something as simple as some high school kids who know each other who want to play together.  Garland may have just been the most vocal that if they play together it will be for his school.  Who knows.  Doesn't necessarily mean Drew is dirty, and it doesn't mean he isn't dirty.  We missed out on a guy, it happens.  Doesn't mean something dirty had to go down for it to happen.

16 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

This could be something as simple as some high school kids who know each other who want to play together.  Garland may have just been the most vocal that if they play together it will be for his school.  Who knows.  Doesn't necessarily mean Drew is dirty, and it doesn't mean he isn't dirty.  We missed out on a guy, it happens.  Doesn't mean something dirty had to go down for it to happen.

I really don’t like being the “we lost a recruit so the other school must be cheating” guy. It’s not usually my style. But, if Vandy gets Romeo it will potentially be the the greatest recruiting story ever. It would be a Duke/UK level class at Vanderbilt. It would be the equivalent to IU football beating out OSU, Michigan, Bama and USC for not one, but three 5* recruits. 

That just doesn’t happen. Again, I totally get the Garland/hometown one, but the others? Garland would have to be the greatest salesman ever to convince not one, but two other out of state 5*’s to turn down elite/blueblood programs to go to a middle of the pack at best SEC school. 

Archived