Shittu to Vandy

CauseThatsMyDJ

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I really don’t like being the “we lost a recruit so the other school must be cheating” guy. It’s not usually my style. But, if Vandy gets Romeo it will potentially be the the greatest recruiting story ever. It would be a Duke/UK level class at Vanderbilt. It would be the equivalent to IU football beating out OSU, Michigan, Bama and USC for not one, but three 5* recruits. 

That just doesn’t happen. Again, I totally get the Garland/hometown one, but the others? Garland would have to be the greatest salesman ever to convince not one, but two other out of state 5*’s to turn down elite/blueblood programs to go to a middle of the pack at best SEC school. 

I think part of it has to do with evolving times in basketball.  Right now, LSU actually has a higher ranked recruiting class than Vandy.  If Vandy lands Langford, that would surely change, but why does LSU have the #17 ranked player (from NJ), and #29 and #65 players?  They've been worse than Vanderbilt with only one tournament appearance in the last 8 years.  They also have a new coach, just like vandy does.  Even Western Kentucky got a top 10 player last year.

I think with the evolution of college and pro basketball, and not needing to go to a top program to get national exposure (Ben Simmons at LSU is one example), college basketball is more open to new schools getting top prospects.  Throw in the FBI investigation and the fact that we're dealing with teenagers, and anything can happen.

Also, if Vandy does get Langford, they aren't a middle of the pack SEC team next year.  They would immediately be one of the top teams in the conference.  I think 3 top recruits going to a middle of the pack school and turning them into a top team can create a very nice legacy.  I don't know why people think kids need to go to a prestigious school in order to create a legacy.

Having said all that, I haven't ruled out the possibility that something shady might have happened lol.

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

I think part of it has to do with evolving times in basketball.  Right now, LSU actually has a higher ranked recruiting class than Vandy.  If Vandy lands Langford, that would surely change, but why does LSU have the #17 ranked player (from NJ), and #29 and #65 players?  They've been worse than Vanderbilt with only one tournament appearance in the last 8 years.  They also have a new coach, just like vandy does.  Even Western Kentucky got a top 10 player last year.

I think with the evolution of college and pro basketball, and not needing to go to a top program to get national exposure (Ben Simmons at LSU is one example), college basketball is more open to new schools getting top prospects.  Throw in the FBI investigation and the fact that we're dealing with teenagers, and anything can happen.

Also, if Vandy does get Langford, they aren't a middle of the pack SEC team next year.  They would immediately be one of the top teams in the conference.  I think 3 top recruits going to a middle of the pack school and turning them into a top team can create a very nice legacy.  I don't know why people think kids need to go to a prestigious school in order to create a legacy.

Having said all that, I haven't ruled out the possibility that something shady might have happened lol.

I meant Vandy is at best middle of the pack SEC historically, not next year if they add Langford too. 

On the other points, I hear what you’re saying, but theres a difference between landing one 5* and landing three top 10 players. Big difference, and most of the examples of lower tier programs landing 5*’s involve a father getting hired or in the case of Simmons/LSU or Western Kentucky a godfather being on the staff, etc. 

Maybe all the stars aligned this one time, but 3 top 10 players at a school like Vandy is unprecedented. 

Archived