Is it time to consider starting Hunter over Smith?

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

In no way do I advocate for or support the way some fans talk to and/or about players on social media. It's awful. 

With that said, what I can't wrap my head around is why this would impact IU more than any other school? You yourself (bolded) said that pretty much every school has fans that do this. So, why does it hurt IU's recruiting but doesn't hurt UK, Duke, Kansas, UNC, Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, etc.? IU typically loses recruits to other high major programs. Why aren't their mean fans hurting their recruiting? How can those coaches, who also have mean fans, negatively recruit against IU on the basis of our mean fans?

Are we supposed to believe IU has the worst fans? I doubt it. We just lost a recruit last cycle to a fanbase who had people actively tagging the recruit in tweets saying they hoped he didn't pick their school because he wasn't good enough. Yet, he still picked their school and it's the school with maybe the largest spotlight in the country with arguable to worst fans in terms of social media ridicule. 

So again, I in no way support it whatsoever and wish fans would act like adults. But, I still don't see how it hurts IU but not other schools?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

So the problem isn't our fans, the problem is that other schools cheat and we are in a system where cheating isn't punished or really even deterred. 

I don't think the fans are the only problem but I do think they can have a negative impact on the program.  I think the reason some go to UK, Duke or KU is money but when we lose to some of the other teams say if Furst goes to UVA the fans could play a role in that.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think the fans are the only problem but I do think they can have a negative impact on the program.  I think the reason some go to UK, Duke or KU is money but when we lose to some of the other teams say if Furst goes to UVA the fans could play a role in that.

I don't know. Again, I'm in no way advocating for some of the garbage fans post. Not at all. But, I find it hard to believe that if Furst picks UVA it's because IU has mean fans online. He's also being recruiting by MSU, Purdue and UNC. I'm sure those three schools fans are at least as bad as IU fans. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I don't know. Again, I'm in no way advocating for some of the garbage fans post. Not at all. But, I find it hard to believe that if Furst picks UVA it's because IU has mean fans online. He's also being recruiting by MSU, Purdue and UNC. I'm sure those three schools fans are at least as bad as IU fans. 

It is just not because of the mean fans but it is coaches showing that the fans have turned on Archie and Archie won't be coaching at IU for long

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Don’t forget Michigan State....They are one of the schools within our own conference that have consistently thrown negativity towards IU and coaches on the recruiting trail.

Just now, Artesian_86 said:

Don’t forget Michigan State....They are one of the schools within our own conference that have consistently thrown negativity towards IU and coaches on the recruiting trail.

So, we're saying that MSU doesn't have jerk fans online? I doubt that. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is just not because of the mean fans but it is coaches showing that the fans have turned on Archie and Archie won't be coaching at IU for long

Gotcha. That's not what I thought we were talking about. I thought we were talking about fans saying mean things about players. Of course another school can use the fact that fans want the coach fired. Gotcha on that. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

So, we're saying that MSU doesn't have jerk fans online? I doubt that. 

They do but they aren't calling for their coaches head and that is where the negative recruiting comes from.  Archie can't go to a recruit and say you see how the MSU fans are turning on Izzo and he won't be their for your 4 years.

Gotcha. That's not what I thought we were talking about. I thought we were talking about fans saying mean things about players. Of course another school can use the fact that fans want the coach fired. Gotcha on that. 

Just saying fans in general can cause problems and if you believe the story one of the reasons Brooks did not come here was fans on social media.  The thing is that this message board is tame compared to other social media outlets from what I have heard.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just saying fans in general can cause problems and if you believe the story one of the reasons Brooks did not come here was fans on social media.  The thing is that this message board is tame compared to other social media outlets from what I have heard.

I'd believe it if Brooks had chosen Indiana State or Wyoming or something, he chose a school with absolutely worse fans than IU, fans that were actively tagging him in posts saying he wasn't good enough to play there. Brooks choosing UK had nothing to do with mean IU fans on Twitter. 

27 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'll speak to this. 

It's not that there aren't other school fans posting stupid and insulting crap, affecting their recruits as well. Certainly that's the case.

There was actually a Michigan recruit several years ago who both through his mother and himself publicly talked about how turned off he was by the school's fans bashing him as a recruit, to the point where he decided to go elsewhere. That's just one.

But that it happens with respect to other schools doesn't change the fact (and it is fact) that recruits (and players) read our board and others and there have been recruits who were really turned off by some of the crap that's been posted on the boards and social media. 

That it happens elsewhere doesn't lessen the impact of stupidity here or on social media generally. It's in extreme bad form, and is just plain stupid, not to mention insensitive. 

I'd believe it if Brooks had chosen Indiana State or Wyoming or something, he chose a school with absolutely worse fans than IU, fans that were actively tagging him in posts saying he wasn't good enough to play there. Brooks choosing UK had nothing to do with mean IU fans on Twitter. 

Correct... Brooks chose UK because daddy thought that was the path to OAD and millions of dollars in the NBA. That’s the only reason he chose UK. Mean IU fans on twitter was only an excuse on why not to choose IU. UK has by far the worst fan base in the nation when it comes to their attitude toward the players and it’s not even close.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I'll speak to this. 

It's not that there aren't other school fans posting stupid and insulting crap, affecting their recruits as well. Certainly that's the case.

There was actually a Michigan recruit several years ago who both through his mother and himself publicly talked about how turned off he was by the school's fans bashing him as a recruit, to the point where he decided to go elsewhere. That's just one.

But that it happens with respect to other schools doesn't change the fact (and it is fact) that recruits (and players) read our board and others and there have been recruits who were really turned off by some of the crap that's been posted on the boards and social media. 

That it happens elsewhere doesn't lessen the impact of stupidity here or on social media generally. It's in extreme bad form, and is just plain stupid, not to mention insensitive. 

I think their was a recruit who committed to UW and his name was Blue and UW fans were talking some stuff about him and he de committed and went to Marquette.

I think we over estimate what impact we have saying things on social media.  There are literally hundreds of thousands of tweets, forum posts, Facebook updates, tik tok videos, memes and any other type of media you can think of posted every single day.  And i bet every coach uses the same information against every other one.  And when you don't win or make the tournament, they don't have to say look at the fan base, they want the coach fired.  They say look at the records, do you want to play in the final 4 or watch it from home.

39 minutes ago, rico said:

Man, this thread took some weird turn...

I’m afraid it’s my fault Rico.....but while we are on the subject...Perfect example of recruits being influenced....I’m sure us older guys remember after Coach Knight’s firing, he played a big part in persuading Bloomington North Star, Sean May from committing to IU.

Gotta say, all the Smith hate in this thread seems a little misplaced.  He’s averaging 10.6 points and 5.5 boards per game in Big Ten play.  Those aren’t crazy numbers, and he has his down games, but honestly he’s been a fairly consistent performer for this team this year.

This team is just in a pretty tough spot, since none of the guards/wings have really played well enough to justify moving Smith or Brunk to the bench.  I was absolutely banging the “go small” drum early on in the season, but none of Green, Durham, Franklin, Hunter, or Anderson have proved themselves to be more valuable than Smith or Brunk up to this point.  On the other hand, it’s not like the offense can get much worse, so going small is probably still worth a shot. 

Archived