Finally. Prime Time For The IU vs PU Pre-Game Thread

2 hours ago, CincyHoosier said:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28641359/indiana-teams-facing-major-ncaa-tournament-bubble-matchups

Apparently this is a must watch bubble matchup.  Kind of sad actually.  Also most metrics actually favor Pudue on the road.  I dont feel great about this one or any of the remaining games.  I guess we will see. 

Unfortunately, I tend to agree with you.  Watching Purdue, I see a high level of passion in their play...a determination, a purpose that frankly, I simply have not seen in our players.  It speaks to leadership and our lack of it.  And then there's the fact that they have some shooters while we have none.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I don't see how we are any more inconsistent than the rest of the Big ten teams that are bunched in the middle of the conference.

Eye test. Most of those other teams handle business at home semi-convincingly and then on the road at least compete hard half the time. IU has been barely squeaking by at home and then getting beatdown on the road. The eye test and score differentials matter. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Eye test. Most of those other teams handle business at home semi-convincingly and then on the road at least compete hard half the time. IU has been barely squeaking by at home and then getting beatdown on the road. The eye test and score differentials matter. 

They beat OSU by 12. Also I don't think the differential should matter unless you are even everywhere else.  If a team is 19-12 and the other team is 16-15 I don't care that the 16-15 team one a few games by 20

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

I’m hearing Dolson is likely the guy so yeah Archie will probably be here until the boosters raise hell.

It's when the money boosters threatened to withhold funds, that Coach Crean (bless his heart) was let go.  Money does talk. 

My apologies to Hoosier Sports Nation. As I have trouble linking tweets.  However, there are tweets, that Coach Keady has confirmed he will attend Saturday's game at Assembly Hall.

And ESPN has bumped Hummel.  Replacing him with Vitale.

BIG game ? 

Oh yeah. 

But think Hummel should be doing the game.  After all, Vitale never knew the IU court had already been named for another IU coach, when he kept saying it should be named for Coach Knight.

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

My apologies to Hoosier Sports Nation. As I have trouble linking tweets.  However, there are tweets, that Coach Keady has confirmed he will attend Saturday's game at Assembly Hall.

BIG game ? 

Oh yeah. 

But think Hummel should be doing the game.  After all, Vitale never knew the IU court had already been named for another IU coach, when he kept saying it should be named for Coach Knight.

Vitale's time has passed.  He should retire.  He's 80.  It's time.

38 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

BIG game ? 

Oh yeah. 

Because Vitale wanted to do the game when Coach came back and was instrumental in trying to make this happen.  Whether or not it does we shall see Saturday 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Because Vitale wanted to do the game when Coach came back and was instrumental in trying to make this happen.  Whether or not it does we shall see Saturday 

Reports to me that Coach Knight will be there as well. But did not post it, because the last time I was told that... he showed up at another team.  Also reported to me that some '76 team members will join Coach Knight in AH on Saturday.  But again, taking the reports with a grain of salt, based on past history.

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Reports to me that Coach Knight will be there as well. But did not post it, because the last time I was told that... he showed up at another team.  Also reported to me that some '76 team members will join Coach Knight in AH on Saturday.  But again, taking the reports with a grain of salt, based on past history.

I’m both confused and disappointed when in comes to IU!! 

17 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

You shouldn’t have let the cat out of the bag.  Karen will probably keep him at home now.

5 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

You shouldn’t have let the cat out of the bag.  Karen will probably keep him at home now.

Report came from a highly respected friend of mine. One I have known for years. And rarely gets things wrong. Having said that, understands that things can and do change over time.  Like Karen. 

13 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Report came from a highly respected friend of mine. One I have known for years. And rarely gets things wrong. Having said that, understands that things can and do change over time.  Like Karen. 

I hope it happens but I stopped getting my hopes up.  A win would be nice too.  We’re all f’ing tired of losing to Purdue.

18 hours ago, BGleas said:

We agree more than we disagree -- but disagree here.

Our home games have included 80-64 vs Fla State, 66-54 vs. OSU, and the W over MSU can't be discounted just because it closer, a solid 67-63, followed by a game we clearly had over MD, up like 8 with under a minute, but blown down the stretch.

We're a good team, we are, CLEARLY, an NCAA deserving team. We're not a great team. But we sure as hell don't belong at the bottom of the metrics for consideration, no way, no how, no rationalization. 

37 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

We agree more than we disagree -- but disagree here.

Our home games have included 80-64 vs Fla State, 66-54 vs. OSU, and the W over MSU can't be discounted just because it closer, a solid 67-63, followed by a game we clearly had over MD, up like 8 with under a minute, but blown down the stretch.

We're a good team, we are, CLEARLY, an NCAA deserving team. We're not a great team. But we sure as hell don't belong at the bottom of the metrics for consideration, no way, no how, no rationalization. 

Who in the Big Ten do you think IU clearly deserves to be ranked ahead of at this point?  There’s definitely a case to be made that we should be ranked ahead of Purdue, Minnesota, OSU, and Michigan, but really all of these teams have similar resumes right now.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Who in the Big Ten do you think IU clearly deserves to be ranked ahead of at this point?  There’s definitely a case to be made that we should be ranked ahead of Purdue, Wisconsin, Minnesota, OSU, and Michigan, but really all of these teams have similar resumes right now.

I would say over all the ones you mentioned because PU, UW and Minnesota already have 10 losses and did not play a great OOC schedule.

32 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would say over all the ones you mentioned because PU, UW and Minnesota already have 10 losses and did not play a great OOC schedule.

Wisconsin:

L @ St. Mary’s (#33 NET)

W vs. Marquette (#23)

L vs. Richmond (Neutral court, #58)

L vs. New Mexico (Neutral court, #134)

L @ NC State (#61)

W @ Tennessee (#65)

W vs. Indiana (#51)

W @ OSU (#16)

W @ PSU (#20)

W vs. Maryland (#10)

W vs. MSU (#11)

Purdue:

L vs. Texas (#62)

L @ Marquette (#23)

W vs. VCU (Neutral court, #36)

L vs. FSU (Neutral court, #14)

W vs. Virginia (#57)

L vs. Butler (Neutral court, #12)

L @ Nebraska (#171)

W vs. MSU (#11)

W vs. Wisconsin (#35)

W vs. Iowa (#30)

Minnesota:

L vs. Oklahoma (Neutral court, #59)

L @ Butler (#12)

L @ Utah (#74)

L vs. DePaul (#66)

W vs. Clemson (#96)

W @ Oklahoma State (#78)

W vs. OSU (#16)

W vs. Michigan (#34)

W vs. PSU (#20)

W @ OSU (#16)

W vs. Wisconsin (#35)

OSU:

W vs. Cincinnati (#45)

W vs. Villanova (#15)

W @ UNC (#94)

W vs. UK (Neutral court, #24)

L vs. West Virginia (Neutral court, #9)

W vs. PSU (#20)

L @ Indiana (#51) 

W vs. Indiana (#51)

W @ Michigan (#34)

Michigan:

W vs. Creighton (#21)

W vs. Iowa State (Neutral court, #75)

W vs. UNC (Neutral court, #94)

W vs. Gonzaga (Neutral court, #3)

L @ Louisville (#7)

L vs. Oregon (#19)

W vs. Iowa (#30)

W vs. Purdue (#29)

W vs. Rutgers (Neutral court, #26)

Indiana

W vs. FSU (#14)

W vs. UCONN (Neutral court, #69)

W vs. ND (Neutral court, #60)

L vs. Arkansas (#37)

L @ Wisconsin (#35)

W vs. OSU (#16)

W vs. MSU (#11)

I don’t see how IU’s resume clearly beats out any of those.

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Wisconsin:

L @ St. Mary’s (#33 NET)

W vs. Marquette (#23)

L vs. Richmond (Neutral court, #58)

L vs. New Mexico (Neutral court, #134)

L @ NC State (#61)

W @ Tennessee (#65)

W vs. Indiana (#51)

W @ OSU (#16)

W @ PSU (#20)

W vs. Maryland (#10)

W vs. MSU (#11)

Purdue:

L vs. Texas (#62)

L @ Marquette (#23)

W vs. VCU (Neutral court, #36)

L vs. FSU (Neutral court, #14)

W vs. Virginia (#57)

L vs. Butler (Neutral court, #12)

L @ Nebraska (#171)

W vs. MSU (#11)

W vs. Wisconsin (#35)

W vs. Iowa (#30)

Minnesota:

L vs. Oklahoma (Neutral court, #59)

L @ Butler (#12)

L @ Utah (#74)

L vs. DePaul (#66)

W vs. Clemson (#96)

W @ Oklahoma State (#78)

W vs. OSU (#16)

W vs. Michigan (#34)

W vs. PSU (#20)

W @ OSU (#16)

W vs. Wisconsin (#35)

Indiana

W vs. FSU (#14)

W vs. UCONN (Neutral court, #69)

W vs. ND (Neutral court, #60)

L vs. Arkansas (#37)

L @ Wisconsin (#35)

W vs. OSU (#16)

W vs. MSU (#11)

I don’t see how IU’s resume clearly beats out any of those.

A better overall record and I don't care if they beat someone by 36 points because to me winning and losing is the only thing that matters.

I'll tell you this, if the Bob Knight rumors are true I pray that Indiana wins this game. For the people that turn every loss into a 'fire the coach' discussion, that will only be amped up if Indiana misses this opportunity to dominate the news cycle with Bob Knights return by losing their 4th straight and losing to Purdue of all teams. 

Wisconsin: 5 wins against top 50 teams (3 home, 2 away). 3 losses to sub-50 teams (1 home, 2 neutral).

Purdue: 4 wins against top 50 teams (3 home, 1 neutral). 2 losses to sub-50 teams (1 home, 1 away).

Minnesota: 5 wins against top 50 teams (4 home, 1 away). 3 losses to sub-50 teams (1 home, 2 away).

OSU: 5 wins against top 50 teams (3 home, 1 away, 1 neutral). No losses to sub-50 teams.

Michigan: 5 wins against top 50 teams (3 home, 2 neutral). No losses to sub-50 teams.

Indiana: 3 wins against top 50 teams (3 home).  No losses to sub-50 teams.

Edit - Sorry for derailing the thread, mods feel free to move this to the tournament discussion thread if that’s possible.

Archived