Finally. Prime Time For The IU vs PU Pre-Game Thread

23 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I wasn't ranking the B1G teams, I was talking about the idiotic metrics. Look at PU's metrics. Seriously, it's absurd. I really don't care if people take a negative outlook and see our W's as somehow worse than our competitors' W's. But the way the metrics are being used is just stupid here.

If I wanted to dig deeper into comparing our and the other teams' respective records, it would be pretty easy to make the case we should be higher 'ranked'. Just a quick glance at Wisconsin's schedule, for example. Lost at home to St. Mary's. Lost 62-52 to Richmond. Richmond? Lost 59-50 to New Mexico. Lost at NC State 69-54. This is better than IU? So they definitely started playing better, but lost at home to Illinois 71-70 (much like our MD loss), beat MD by a basket at home, lost at MSU by 12, lost at PU 70-51, lost at Minn 70-52... OK.

Yeah, I agree that KenPom is screwy this year, and I’m not really interested in the margin of victory conversation... It matters for perception over the course of a season, but on Selection Sunday, a win is a win and a loss is a loss.

A neutral court loss to St. Mary’s is not a bad loss whatsoever.  And Richmond’s NET ranking kind of surprised me (#58, higher than both UCONN and ND.)  A neutral court loss to them isn’t all that bad either.  Neither is a true road loss to #61 NC State.  Their loss to New Mexico is pretty bad any way you slice it, but it’s one neutral court game in November.  The bottom line is Wisconsin had a much more challenging non-conference schedule than IU, and they’re probably going to get rewarded for that, rightfully so.  They also have more quality wins than IU and no bad losses in conference play, and then you have the beatdown they gave us earlier this year... I don’t see any way you can justify putting IU ahead of them just because we’ve had a softer schedule.

With only one home win over a tournament team in non-conference play and only two quality wins in conference play thus far, IU is going to have to get to .500 in the conference to be feeling comfortable on Selection Sunday.  9-11 might still get us in, but that will be a gift.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Yeah, I agree that KenPom is screwy this year, and I’m not really interested in the margin of victory conversation... It matters for perception over the course of a season, but on Selection Sunday, a win is a win and a loss is a loss.

A neutral court loss to St. Mary’s is not a bad loss whatsoever.  And Richmond’s NET ranking kind of surprised me (#58, higher than both UCONN and ND.)  A neutral court loss to them isn’t all that bad either.  Neither is a true road loss to #61 NC State.  Their loss to New Mexico is pretty bad any way you slice it, but it’s one neutral court game in November.  The bottom line is Wisconsin had a much more challenging non-conference schedule than IU, and they’re probably going to get rewarded for that, rightfully so.  They also have more quality wins than IU and no bad losses in conference play, and then you have the beatdown they gave us earlier this year... I don’t see any way you can justify putting IU ahead of them just because we’ve had a softer schedule.

With only one home win over a tournament team in non-conference play and only two quality wins in conference play thus far, IU is going to have to get to .500 in the conference to be feeling comfortable on Selection Sunday.  9-11 might still get us in, but that will be a gift.

Agree with your last sentence -- didn't mean to indicate otherwise. We still have lots of business to take care of, I'm just saying at this point in the season we look like, and should be, a tourney team. I see Wiscy's record / schedule a little differently but I think we see things pretty similarly regardless.

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Did anyone hear Butch Carter on Dakich? I did not get to hear it.

Nope but if Dakich is having Carter on his show that's all you need to know about Dakich. Carter has been a twerp and dbag for years.

Speaking of Dakich. He's got this victim thing down now. Caught a bit of his show the other day (no other options in Indy now) and now he said his wife was curious if Indiana is some Dark or Deep State I believe the word he used because callers were calling in and voicing their opinions on him. Yep....Dan. You criticize and go out of your way to rip any and everything IU, players, coaches (even though the current coach got your daughter a gig) and you now cry poor me??? Can't wait for the day he loses his gig.....that day is coming. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Agree with your last sentence -- didn't mean to indicate otherwise. We still have lots of business to take care of, I'm just saying at this point in the season we look like, and should be, a tourney team. I see Wiscy's record / schedule a little differently but I think we see things pretty similarly regardless.

Yeah, I think we’d probably be in if they seeded the tournament today.  But we need at least 5 more quality wins to be in a good position by the end of the season.  The 3 we have right now puts us a little bit behind the eight ball.

9 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Before or after game

All I got was IU hosting a reception.  Having said that..... my guess, and it is purely a guess, is that they will be watching the first half on tv, and then move over to AH just before half time for the ceremony. 

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Doesn’t Damon still live in Bedford?  I can’t imagine he would miss this opportunity.

Damon is co-owner of a distribution company, located in Bedford.  Yes, it would be nice if he is able to make it.  Again, his name has not come up to me.

Archived