College basketball offensive troubles

8 minutes ago, rico said:

I don't know where to find an over-all scoring average for the entire NCAA myself on a year to year basis.  But team wise it is easy...

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/

In 1981 we averaged 70.0 ppg...in 1987 we averaged 82.5.  In 1993 we averaged 86.5 ppg.

In 87 and 93 I think there was still a 45 second clock and I would like to see how lowering it to 30 seconds have affected scoring.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

In 87 and 93 I think there was still a 45 second clock and I would like to see how lowering it to 30 seconds have affected scoring.

IIRC the 45 second clock was instilled in 85-86 and continued through 92-93.  I think it was then lowered to 35 in 93-94. And then to 30 for 15-16.

7 minutes ago, rico said:

IIRC the 45 second clock was instilled in 85-86 and continued through 92-93.  I think it was then lowered to 35 in 93-94. And then to 30 for 15-16.

I just was looking for the overall scoring averages for college basketball for each decade but just can't figure out how to do that.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I just was looking for the overall scoring averages for college basketball for each decade but just can't figure out how to do that.

There should be a question box on there somewhere(not the search engine) where you can send your question in?

12 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Replays need to be done and decided before the officials even walk over to some idiotic screen.  The fans know the call in 2 seconds.  Broadcast booths know the call.  Everyone knows the call.  All the officials have to do is say to the table, who is mic'd and listening to some head reviewer, say home or away.  2 seconds, play ball.  

100% agree, and I also don't know why football doesn't do this either. The time it takes referees to gather and converse, walk over to the scorer's table, review the play from at least 2 angles for 30 seconds, then convene and talk about it is unbearably long. Not to mention the fact teams treat it as an unofficial timeout, so you gotta get them back on the court too.

The referee at the table could do all of what's needed. The floor refs just signal over to him, he reviews the play for a max amount of time of 30 seconds, game goes on. 

No referee conference, no players going to the bench, all would be eliminated.

3 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

100% agree, and I also don't know why football doesn't do this either. The time it takes referees to gather and converse, walk over to the scorer's table, review the play from at least 2 angles for 30 seconds, then convene and talk about it is unbearably long. Not to mention the fact teams treat it as an unofficial timeout, so you gotta get them back on the court too.

The referee at the table could do all of what's needed. The floor refs just signal over to him, he reviews the play for a max amount of time of 30 seconds, game goes on. 

No referee conference, no players going to the bench, all would be eliminated.

It is so nice watching old games on YouTube because the flow of the game is so much quicker.  Also you don't have all the graphics clogging up most of the space on your screen.  At one time you did not see the score unless someone hits a shot and you never saw the clock shown until the last few minutes of the game.  It also seems like there are more TV timeouts as well today than in the past.

ESPN did an interview a few years ago with Coach Knight and coach K. Most of the interview was the two reminiscing about the good old days. Near the end of the interview the analyst asked them if there was anything they liked about todays game versus the old days? DEAD SILENCE! Finally, coach Knight spoke up and said "the silence is telling isn't it"! He followed up by saying "today's basketball is about athletes playing basketball, instead of basketball players playing basketball"!

Don't know how but changing things to reduce the influence of athleticism is what's needed. Calling fouls offense and defense would be a good start!

Maybe making Clear Out offenses and Overload offenses and such that take advantage of one players skill set, a technical foul on the team, or better the one player advantage!

Knight had Alford who was a sharp shooter he had Smart who was a great slasher and a really good 12 to 15 ft shooter. He had Thomas and Garrett how we’re good around the basket, as I remember they all shot free throws well. And it was a team game. Everyone ran the plays hard to help get others open. 
todays team ,only half the team runs hard to get others open. Green ,Smith and even Durham just go though the motions. 

13 hours ago, Bob said:

Knight had Alford who was a sharp shooter he had Smart who was a great slasher and a really good 12 to 15 ft shooter. He had Thomas and Garrett how we’re good around the basket, as I remember they all shot free throws well. And it was a team game. Everyone ran the plays hard to help get others open. 
todays team ,only half the team runs hard to get others open. Green ,Smith and even Durham just go though the motions. 

Coach Knight always said after you make a pass there are 7 things a player can do and only 3 of them are good. We do a lot of the other 4

last night watching some of the KU/Texas game and the offense by both teams were mediocre at best and the score was 65-53 with 2 minutes to go when I wen to bed.  ESPNU is showing old UNC/Duke games and I turned it on the 1992 game at Duke.  When I turned it on there were 15 minutes to go in the game and the score was already 59-58.  So with still 15 minutes to go they had almost scored more point than the KU/Texas did for a whole game.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

last night watching some of the KU/Texas game and the offense by both teams were mediocre at best and the score was 65-53 with 2 minutes to go when I wen to bed.  ESPNU is showing old UNC/Duke games and I turned it on the 1992 game at Duke.  When I turned it on there were 15 minutes to go in the game and the score was already 59-58.  So with still 15 minutes to go they had almost scored more point than the KU/Texas did for a whole game.

See if I can get this to post...

SCORING OFFENSE
Through games February 2, 2020

RANK
TEAM
PPG
1 gonzaga.svgGonzaga 88.6
2 duke.svgDuke 83.4
3 central-mich.svgCentral Mich. 82.4
4 alabama.svgAlabama 82.2
5 eastern-wash.svgEastern Wash. 82.2
6 dayton.svgDayton 82.1
7 houston-baptist.svgHouston Baptist 81.9
8 winthrop.svgWinthrop 81.8
9 mcneese-st.svgMcNeese 81.7
10 green-bay.svgGreen Bay 81.5

13 minutes ago, rico said:

See if I can get this to post...

SCORING OFFENSE
Through games February 2, 2020

RANK
TEAM
PPG
1 gonzaga.svgGonzaga 88.6
2 duke.svgDuke 83.4
3 central-mich.svgCentral Mich. 82.4
4 alabama.svgAlabama 82.2
5 eastern-wash.svgEastern Wash. 82.2
6 dayton.svgDayton 82.1
7 houston-baptist.svgHouston Baptist 81.9
8 winthrop.svgWinthrop 81.8
9 mcneese-st.svgMcNeese 81.7
10 green-bay.svgGreen Bay 81.5

It is good to see that there are some teams out there that can still score.  Only two of these teams are from major conferences and only 3 ranked teams in this list.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is good to see that there are some teams out there that can still score.  Only two of these teams are from major conferences and only 3 ranked teams in this list.

Well I would call the A-10 a major conference but no matter, 'Bama is the one that I took notice of...geez, that is 1st year HC there.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I did not realize that Alabama was scoring like that either.

I didn't either and then I saw a "bubble" article and the Tide were mentioned as being an offensive team.  So I started digging and found what I did...fwiw they averaged 72.0 ppg last year playing for a NBA guy.

Archived