2023 NFL Discussion

rico

2 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

So..... With all of the cap space the Colts have, why didn't they make a play for Tom Brady? I remember reading before the start of last season, experts had the Colts as possible Super Bowl contenders. He could have stepped and play for a good team.

Someone enlighten me......

I'm a Bears fan but I'll play along a tad. When you remembered reading before last season do you remember if that was before or after Luck decided to bounce? 

So..... With all of the cap space the Colts have, why didn't they make a play for Tom Brady? I remember reading before the start of last season, experts had the Colts as possible Super Bowl contenders. He could have stepped and play for a good team.

Someone enlighten me......

Maybe Brady was not interested in coming to and living in Indianapolis.  Also the Colts being the one that turned him in for deflate gate probably did not help

14 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I know he is Tom Brady, but if BB was willing to let him walk, I’d be very wary of signing him. 

Definitely going to be a fun couple of seasons to see which way was right. I would never bet against either. In this scenario though maybe Brady was just tired of asking BB for help all the time in terms of play makers/talent on offense and he finally said enough is enough. Seems like after reading Kraft's statement this was a Brady decision to leave fueled by just wanting to get away from BB and start fresh. 

He definitely inherits more dynamic and deeper receiving corps in TB than he would have in Indy. That plus the the Pats-Colts history/rivalry - already mentioned - would be my theory.

Rivers is taking on a lesser WR group as well, but he has the Reich/Sirianni history and is getting a boost in terms of O-line compared to how LA's group performed last season.

Hoping the Colts find a way to add one more solid vet to the WR corps even if they plan to stock up on young potential via draft. Wonder how Funchess is doing recovery-wise and what his asking price is now. Inman is another guy I'd consider having around if on a cheap deal. I'd prefer someone better than that, but at least those guys have experience, are dependable, and could tutor younger WRs. 

Thanks guys for the replies. Yes I did forget about deflate-gate......

And, at my advancing age, I don't remember when it was that I read about the Colts being super bowl contenders. But I would think it probably was before Luck announced he was through with football.

Did you see this?  He totally nailed Andrew.

31 minutes ago, rico said:

Jacoby to be the back-up....Indy releases Hoyer.

Some guys are just more comfortable in that role than being a starter...and they can win you some games...

Reich, Strock, Morrell, and, at the end if his career at least, Blanda come to mind...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Some guys are just more comfortable in that roll than being a starter...and they can win you some games...

Reich, Strock, Morrell, and, at the end if his career at least, Blanda come to mind...

Good list, and I will go to my grave saying Strock should have been the starter for Miami.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Good list, and I will go to my grave saying Strock should have been the starter for Miami.

I'd agree with that...the guys he sat behind in Miami, Griese and Woodley for the most part, were "game managers." I think Strock could have done as well as either, and might have had more upside. I understand that with Griese, they had Csonka, Kiick, and Morris, and Shula liked to run the ball, but he did turn Marino loose when he got him...

Strock was no Marino, but might have been better throwing the ball than Griese...

Also I think the guy the Bears just got, Foles, might be in that "more comfortable as a back-up" group...

12 hours ago, D-BONE said:

So Desir to Jets just like that. He was also Colts nominee for Walter Payton Man of the Year. Saved some cash I suppose, but still baffled. Just gifted Jets a cheap, proved CB starter.

He was also let go with 2 years remaining on his contract...what was his deal worth with Indy and the Jets?

32 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/tom-brady-had-interest-colts-141818971.html

FWIW: I wish they would have at least tested the waters a bit. Rivers pun intended

Does make you wonder doesn't it? Also,our morning paper had a Colts article from Jeff Doyel. He is saying the releases of Desir and Joe Haeg and keeping Brissett is like trying to understand the sport of Cricket...

Real head scratchers for sure.

24 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Does make you wonder doesn't it? Also,our morning paper had a Colts article from Jeff Doyel. He is saying the releases of Desir and Joe Haeg and keeping Brissett is like trying to understand the sport of Cricket...

If you want to understand Cricket call me. Ayden is an expert on it. Because of the disadvantages he faces in the traditional sports he is an expert and really good in the obscure . I bowl a lot of Cricket balls to him to most nice days

• Haha 1

What I hear don the radio from Peter King is that the Colts did not want to go more than one year and Brady wanted more years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

What I hear don the radio from Peter King is that the Colts did not want to go more than one year and Brady wanted more years.

I think others can read into this what they want. Besides the 1 or 2 year thing....Colts and Ballard still don't trust Patriots and maybe a by product of that trust Brady. What happened if Brady says he was interested and Colts made their offer and he still chose Tampa. In the process missing out on Rivers. Ballard basically said my risk of missing on Rivers (to him) is greater than thinking Brady would actually sign with Colts....because right now the Chargers are what the Colts would be if they entered the Brady sweepstakes.

• Like 1

Guess Rhodes saves some $ due to one less year compared to Desir? I don't think he was as good as Desir the last couple years. Rhodes has been on the decline last two or three seasons since the pro bowl appearance. Hope he gets his mojo back. Are we to expect a fairly high pick in the draft to be his eventual replacement? Maybe they think Tell will eventually eclipse him. Ya-Sin and Moore should lock down other two spots, no? Certainly Wilson can't still be in the mix for anything but depth?