2023 NFL Discussion

rico

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Can you imagine going to a party where NFL guys are at and this happens? I'm not saying dumbest crime of the 21st century by pro athletes but it's up there.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/05/14/deandre-baker-quinton-dunbar-robbery-miami-florida-nfl-giants-seahawks/

The dumbest one I've read about since Reggie Harding...

That said, don't read the articles comment section...sickening...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The dumbest one I've read about since Reggie Harding...

That said, don't read the articles comment section...sickening...

I made a decision years ago to stay away from comments section on things like this. Pretty scary place. Just can't believe 2 NFL players thought cash and watches via gunpoint was the best path this week. Innocent until proven guilty I know but career probably over. Facing lengthy prison sentence. Makes me cringe inside thinking of the wasted potential there.

• Like 1

I feel safe enough to post this as it seems like it's being reported by several outlets. All I'll say is a few things. The NFL should find a way to hire more minority GM's/Coaches....but the flip side of this is every single time moving forward a minority GM/Coach is hired they will be thinking in the back of their mind was I hired on merit based reasons or increased draft position? To me this isn't that right avenue but I guess the NFL is trying to do anything to get more minority coaches/GM's hired.

BREAKING: NFL owners will vote next week on a resolution that would improve a team's draft position if it hires a person of color as head coach or general manager, per sources. Currently there are only 2 black GMs & 4 HCs of color, matching 17-year low

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I feel safe enough to post this as it seems like it's being reported by several outlets. All I'll say is a few things. The NFL should find a way to hire more minority GM's/Coaches....but the flip side of this is every single time moving forward a minority GM/Coach is hired they will be thinking in the back of their mind was I hired on merit based reasons or increased draft position? To me this isn't that right avenue but I guess the NFL is trying to do anything to get more minority coaches/GM's hired.

BREAKING: NFL owners will vote next week on a resolution that would improve a team's draft position if it hires a person of color as head coach or general manager, per sources. Currently there are only 2 black GMs & 4 HCs of color, matching 17-year low

This will be very difficult to manage if approved. 

Here's an example where things could get squirmy.  It's likely the Patriots are going to be looking for a QB in the next 2-3 years..  And, obviously, they are not going to fire Bill Belichick, so he's their coach on draft day.  For the sake of argument, let's say the Patriots are positioned to draft 10th and The Jaguars are positioned to draft 11th.  The Jaguars also need a QB and just fired their coach.  Because of the new rule, if they hire a person of color as coach,  they vault ahead of the Patriots in the draft order.  Ignoring for a fact that the Patriots probably deserve everything they get, it actually is not fair that they lose out in this scenario because they didn't fire their long time, multi-championship winning coach.  

There has to be a better way to address the issue.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

This will be very difficult to manage if approved. 

Here's an example where things could get squirmy.  It's likely the Patriots are going to be looking for a QB in the next 2-3 years..  And, obviously, they are not going to fire Bill Belichick, so he's their coach on draft day.  For the sake of argument, let's say the Patriots are positioned to draft 10th and The Jaguars are positioned to draft 11th.  The Jaguars also need a QB and just fired their coach.  Because of the new rule, if they hire a person of color as coach,  they vault ahead of the Patriots in the draft order.  Ignoring for a fact that the Patriots probably deserve everything they get, it actually is not fair that they lose out in this scenario because they didn't fire their long time, multi-championship winning coach.  

There has to be a better way to address the issue.

Yep. Shoot I'll take Louis Riddick as my GM right now and I don't need improved draft position as a reason. I'm with you. HAS to be a better way.

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Shoot I'll take Louis Riddick as my GM right now and I don't need improved draft position as a reason. I'm with you. HAS to be a better way.

Let me take my example to the next level.  Let's substitute the Steelers for the Patriots in my example above,  Big Ben is getting up there in years as well, so let's say the Steelers are looking to draft a QB and are picking 10th.  They already have a head coach of color.  Does the NFL seriously jump the Jaguars ahead of the Steelers in that scenario? The rule would say you do.   I can't imagine the fallout if that happened. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Let me take my example to the next level.  Let's substitute the Steelers for the Patriots in my example above,  Big Ben is getting up there in years as well, so let's say the Steelers are looking to draft a QB and are picking 10th.  They already have a head coach of color.  Does the NFL seriously jump the Jaguars ahead of the Steelers in that scenario? The rule would say you do.   I can't imagine the fallout if that happened. 

And all along people will be asking were they hired for what reason or reasons. Just has to be a different way. Can't wait to hear some of the opinions on this. Initial reaction is wtf??

9 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Can you imagine going to a party where NFL guys are at and this happens? I'm not saying dumbest crime of the 21st century by pro athletes but it's up there.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/05/14/deandre-baker-quinton-dunbar-robbery-miami-florida-nfl-giants-seahawks/

Update to this post. I really hope this is true.

BREAKING: Lawyer says five witnesses exonerate Seattle Seahawks’ Quinton Dunbar of South Florida armed robbery

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rico said:

Yeah, I saw that...and no, I don't agree...

Sid Luckman by a mile...the fact that his records lasted as long as they did should have told the dummy that wrote that article how great he was...Sid's not in the HOF for nothing...

Also disagreed with Urlacher over Singletary, Dent, or Hampton...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, I saw that...and no, I don't agree...

Sid Luckman by a mile...the fact that his records lasted as long as they did should have told the dummy that wrote that article how great he was...Sid's not in the HOF for nothing...

Also disagreed with Urlacher over Singletary, Dent, or Hampton...

I see Bart got snubbed for the Packers....

4 minutes ago, rico said:

I see Bart got snubbed for the Packers....

Yeah, saw that too...

As if anyone need more validation that the people who write these things are idiots, consider this when they wrote about the Packers...

"Despite coaching for a fraction of the time as Curly Lambeau, Lombardi gets the nod here for a couple of reasons. First, Lambeau is the founder of the franchise and we aren't including founders in this."

Yet, for the Bears, he has Halas in there...who does he think founded them? Virginia McCaskey?

Can't overlook Lambeau as a coach as he was 226-132-22 as a coach and won 6 NFL titles, but I'd have picked Lombardi over him too...

• Like 2

@IUFLA

Divisions in the NFL more regionally based than already are (disregarding conference) 

Northeast 

NE

NYJ

NYG

BUFF

Mid Atlantic 

BALT

CAR

WSH

PHI

MIDWEST

INDY