2023 NFL Discussion

rico

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Yes, I think Redtails has a good shot.  Ron Rivera grew up in a military household and I think they want to honor the military with the new name.  Also, I have family in DC and they have a huge African American fan base.  I think the Tuskegee Airmen had a big DC connection in their ranks too. It just makes perfect sense. 

I was making the point that they are probably double checking it from every angle to be sure that nobody whines about it from some angle they are unaware of since complaining about everything is like the plague now.  

100% with you, agree completely 

• Thanks 1

By the way, and I mean this as an honest question, but why do the Indians, Braves, or Chiefs need to change their names?  Those aren’t insults, right?  If they somehow are, I have never been aware if it.  

It reminds me of the bit in the Office:

Michael: Is there anything less offensive besides “Mexican” that I can call you?

Oscar: “Mexican” isn’t offensive

Michael: Stares blankly. 

Isn’t that the same issue with Indians, etc?  Isn’t “brave” a positive idea?  If anything, wouldn’t taking those names off be a negative for Native Americans because they wouldn’t be acknowledged?  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

By the way, and I mean this as an honest question, but why do the Indians, Braves, or Chiefs need to change their names?  Those aren’t insults, right?  If they somehow are, I have never been aware if it.  

Isn’t that the same issue with Indians, etc?  Isn’t “brave” a positive idea?  If anything, wouldn’t taking those names off be a negative for Native Americans because they wouldn’t be acknowledged?  

I always thought the name "Redskins" was the only one that was obviously a slur...I'm amazed that name made it this long...

I know the "Indian" caricature of Chief Wahoo upset some people. 10-1 that name gets changed too...

The Braves and Chiefs seem to have the backing of some Native Americans and I personally don't see those names as disparaging in our lexicon...

But, I'm constantly surprised by The Church of the Perpetually Offended, so who knows...

I do think as historical side-note that this is karma at its best...The Redskins were the last NFL team to integrate, and their owner at that time, George Preston Marshall, was know throughout the league as a bigot. Use of a stadium, ironically later renamed RFK Stadium, forced that issue too... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, btownqb said:

I thought more, and once I read the quoted reply, and I thought to myself, "if I want to believe in the things that I do: that racism is on its last leg, that American History wouldn't be what it is without Black History, plus this team being located in our nations capital, and that I want to be a part of change and guidance in this country" then... name them the Washington Redtails TOMORROW. 

If I could like this statement 1000 X, I would...

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Nothing official yet but Mahomes is signing a 10 year extension with Chiefs. If I were his agent I'd put an escalator or % of cap space part to contract. No terms disclosed yet but thinking it has to be in the $450M range. 

I have an unhealthy fan/man crush on Mahomes.  He is exactly what a face of a franchise should be.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I have an unhealthy fan/man crush on Mahomes.  He is exactly what a face of a franchise should be.

Checks every box for me so far. He's Peyton....and he got the first one out of the way early so pressure is off now. If he's there for the next decade I expect 3-4 more titles in KC world. What skill player wouldn't want to play there? Now the GM at KC has to figure out a way to keep everyone happy. Kelce and few others come for free agency soon. 

This is coming from Field Yates. I know we saw probably the greatest free agent QB class ever this past off season. Think about RB's next year. Lord the names.

The free agent RB class of 2021 is currently loaded: Derrick Henry, Dalvin Cook, Alvin Kamara, Aaron Jones, Joe Mixon, Kenyan Drake, Todd Gurley, Leonard Fournette, James Conner, Matt Breida, Philip Lindsay, Kareem Hunt, James White, Tarik Cohen, Marlon Mack a

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/browns-reportedly-closing-in-on-five-year-125-million-extension-with-myles-garrett/

Guess it doesn't matter what kind of thuggery a guy displays. No wonder the Browns are a mess.

I bring this up because Browns are in same category. The last time Knicks signed a draft pick to an extension was 1999 with Charlie Ward. I think with Myles Garrett it makes the first player they drafted to sign an extension with them since Joe Haden which was 6-7 years ago. What a franchise.

23 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I bring this up because Browns are in same category. The last time Knicks signed a draft pick to an extension was 1999 with Charlie Ward. I think with Myles Garrett it makes the first player they drafted to sign an extension with them since Joe Haden which was 6-7 years ago. What a franchise.

Surprised Joe Thomas was never extended 

The losing in Cleveland emanates from the owner on down.  They have a losing culture.  That’s the type of thing you can’t overcome.  People underestimate the role of an owner.  Bad owners have a knack for not ever winning,.  A few years ago, the Browns has a ridiculous number of high picks and look where they are.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The losing in Cleveland emanates from the owner on down.  They have a losing culture.  That’s the type of thing you can’t overcome.  People underestimate the role of an owner.  Bad owners have a knack for not ever winning,.  A few years ago, the Browns has a ridiculous number of high picks and look where they are.  

The Browns are the perfect example of organizations being impatient and changing coaches every couple of years.  This approach does not work and is not sustainable way of running your organization.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2020 at 7:08 AM, IUFLA said:

I always thought the name "Redskins" was the only one that was obviously a slur...I'm amazed that name made it this long...

I know the "Indian" caricature of Chief Wahoo upset some people. 10-1 that name gets changed too...

The Braves and Chiefs seem to have the backing of some Native Americans and I personally don't see those names as disparaging in our lexicon...

But, I'm constantly surprised by The Church of the Perpetually Offended, so who knows...

I do think as historical side-note that this is karma at its best...The Redskins were the last NFL team to integrate, and their owner at that time, George Preston Marshall, was know throughout the league as a bigot. Use of a stadium, ironically later renamed RFK Stadium, forced that issue too... 

I could understand Chief Wahoo being redesigned or replaced. In fact, I'd support it. Just find the drawing to cartoon-like and demeaning. And I know there was some substantial pressure from some Native American organizations and tribes a few years back that resulted in the team taking the logo off their uniforms. 

It's definitely true that Native Americans are not a monolith and the other team names you mention surely have varying levels of acceptability or lack thereof in those communities. Very cursory reading I've done on it shows there have been some polling showing differing results about where Native Americans stand on them. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Funny world we live in. Someone noticed she stopped following Aaron on Instagram and the story spread from there. In power couple terms....2+ years is a pretty good run. 

He already linked to an actress introduced to him him ... guess who? If you said Danica you would be correct 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Funny world we live in. Someone noticed she stopped following Aaron on Instagram and the story spread from there. In power couple terms....2+ years is a pretty good run. 

Danica in April...

""If you like a partner who is extremely attractive, super intelligent, very thoughtful, patient (lord knows I can be stubborn), loves to travel, is open minded, is into growing in this life, and can ball."

Aaron musta lost that "Lovin Feelin." 😁

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1