2023 NFL Discussion

rico

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Won't get any argument from this Bears about being close to 0-3....but given the change at QB there's certainly more optimism headed into this week. 

Regarding game. Control from start to finish? I expect a good one....and considering the Colts lost to a Jaguars team that is still below average I don't think anyone should be speaking in absolute terms from the Colts side of the house.

The difference between week 1 and the last 2 games for the colts is turnovers.  We lost 27-20 but the Jags got 10 from ourr two turnovers and short field.  Also the Colts up 7-0 and inside the 3 yard line we got stopped on a 4th and 1.  Also missed a field goal so that game coud easily have been 30-17 Colts.  The last two weeks the Colts has not had any turnovers and the defense has intercepted 6 passes and two for TD's.  Also the last two weeks the defense has had a safety in each game and going into yesterday the defense was ranked #1 in the NFL.

Going into the season I had this as a win for the Colts and still think they will win. Foles don't really scare me as a QB and we beat him last year in Indy when he started for the Jags 33-13.

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Won't get any argument from this Bears about being close to 0-3....but given the change at QB there's certainly more optimism headed into this week. 

Regarding game. Control from start to finish? I expect a good one....and considering the Colts lost to a Jaguars team that is still below average I don't think anyone should be speaking in absolute terms from the Colts side of the house.

when I read KoB's comment, I thought to myself that quite possibly the Colts have had the easiest schedule thus far this year..and I'm a Colts' fan

• Like 1

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

when I read KoB's comment, I thought to myself that quite possibly the Colts have had the easiest schedule thus far this year..and I'm a Colts' fan

The Colts schedue has been pretty easy because there two wins are against two 0-3 teams.  The only game the Jags won was against the Cotls so if we had beaten them they would be 0-3 as well.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The Colts schedue has been pretty easy because there two wins are against two 0-3 teams.  The only game the Jags won was against the Cotls so if we had beaten them they would be 0-3 as well.

Yeah... the Vikings also were a playoff team last year. They're the best team either has played IMO.

19 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Yep....Colts opponents are 1-8 on the season. Bears opponents are 1-8 too. That's the tough part about this week. I cheer for the Colts. Just not vs the Bears. We'll see. As of right now I think this is going to be a very tough game from start to finish. 

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep....Colts opponents are 1-8 on the season. Bears opponents are 1-8 too. That's the tough part about this week. I cheer for the Colts. Just not vs the Bears. We'll see. As of right now I think this is going to be a very tough game from start to finish. 

Yes, but the Colts have played that schedule to the tune of the third biggest points differential in football while the Bears have nearly lost every game they've played. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Yes, but the Colts have played that schedule to the tune of the third biggest points differential in football while the Bears have nearly lost every game they've played. 

Again....agree all day. I just took a very small exception to "control game from start to finish" part of the conversation. 

11 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Wentz is just odd is all I really can offer. So good but  he continues to make mistakes and throws he shouldn't....but as you mentioned the Eagles can't keep a skill player or lineman healthy so it's not like you want to throw a rookie qb into that mess either. 8-8 can win that division or I guess 8-7-1 now can win. No need to throw in the towel but Wentz needs to play better.

Yeah, going to Hurts isn't the answer. Wentz is the guy for now, he just needs to play better. 

We know with a solid, healthy offensive line and healthy skill players that Wentz is capable of playing at an MVP level. He's proven it. In 2017 he was a lock for the MVP if he hadn't hurt his knee in week 13. 

The Eagles have seriously been decimated by injuries on the offensive side the last two years. It's hard for any QB to deal with what Wentz has in that department. Last year he was able to elevate the team the last half of the year (which really was incredible), so I was expecting him to build off that in his really 2nd full season post injury. It just hasn't happened and it's been really bad and he's regressing which is trouble some. 

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The difference between week 1 and the last 2 games for the colts is turnovers.  We lost 27-20 but the Jags got 10 from ourr two turnovers and short field.  Also the Colts up 7-0 and inside the 3 yard line we got stopped on a 4th and 1.  Also missed a field goal so that game coud easily have been 30-17 Colts.  The last two weeks the Colts has not had any turnovers and the defense has intercepted 6 passes and two for TD's.  Also the last two weeks the defense has had a safety in each game and going into yesterday the defense was ranked #1 in the NFL.

Going into the season I had this as a win for the Colts and still think they will win. Foles don't really scare me as a QB and we beat him last year in Indy when he started for the Jags 33-13.

Coaching staff cost the Colts the 1st game. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Titans forced to shut down operations due to 8 new positive covid tests among players and staff. Last Sunday's opponent the Vikings as well. 

Both teams games this week in doubt.

Wonder how they would make up this game.  If they have the same bye week then it would be OK but other wise there is no room to make up games.  Why I worry is that the Colts could be fighting with the Titans for the division title.  If they go 11-4 and the Colts go 11-5 who would get the title.

48 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Wonder how they would make up this game.  If they have the same bye week then it would be OK but other wise there is no room to make up games.  Why I worry is that the Colts could be fighting with the Titans for the division title.  If they go 11-4 and the Colts go 11-5 who would get the title.

The Jaguars. :coffee:

17 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I would say they have "wiggle room" to make-up 1 game, maybe even 2 to stay on schedule without moving the Super Bowl back.

45 minutes ago, rico said:

I would say they have "wiggle room" to make-up 1 game, maybe even 2 to stay on schedule without moving the Super Bowl back.

It's no secret the NFL has always wanted the Super Bowl to coincide with President's Day weekend so their game on Sunday with the country having Monday off is even bigger. 

Right now Super Bowl teams have 2 weeks between Conference Championships and SB on Feb 7th. They could still move SB another week too so more than enough wiggle room.

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

It's no secret the NFL has always wanted the Super Bowl to coincide with President's Day weekend so their game on Sunday with the country having Monday off is even bigger. 

Right now Super Bowl teams have 2 weeks between Conference Championships and SB on Feb 7th. They could still move SB another week too so more than enough wiggle room.

Why not just give a week between the end of the regular season and the start? Gives everyone an off week. Seems very simple to me. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Why not just give a week between the end of the regular season and the start? Gives everyone an off week. Seems very simple to me. 

Yep...and they have the room to go 2 weeks if they want.

Regarding Steelers/Titans. There's 2-3 moves they could make to make this game happen in week 7 if necessary....but given the NFL's response yesterday it seems business as usual this week. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep...and they have the room to go 2 weeks if they want.

Regarding Steelers/Titans. There's 2-3 moves they could make to make this game happen in week 7 if necessary....but given the NFL's response yesterday it seems business as usual this week. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-covid-19-outbreak-heres-how-steelers-titans-week-4-matchup-could-be-rescheduled/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

If your Trevor Lawrence do you try and force an Eli Manning move and say to the Jets if you get first pick....don't draft me or trade me if you do? That team and organization is absolutely brutal.

Gase shouldn’t be a head coach. That’s obvious.  He honestly isn’t even coordinator material.  He parlayed a Peyton Manning recommendation (from their time together in Denver) into two head coaching jobs.  In life, you have to be careful who you recommend for what. You can’t just recommend your buddy for something he cannot do lest you lose your own credibility.  We saw this in Miami with him.  It’s totally baffling that the Jets would hire this guy after seeing how dreadful he was there. 

They had six personal foul penalties last night, and many more regular penalties.  That’s fireable on the spot, IMO.  It’s honestly hard to fathom.   I’m not a Jets fan.  They are who they are and always have been. But this is egregious.

I love sports, but watching a bad product like what the Jets trot out is just terrible. 

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Gase shouldn’t be a head coach. That’s obvious.  He honestly isn’t even coordinator material.  He parlayed a Peyton Manning recommendation (from their time together in Denver) into two head coaching jobs.  In life, you have to be careful who you recommend for what. You can’t just recommend your buddy for something he cannot do lest you lose your own credibility.  We saw this in Miami with him.  It’s totally baffling that the Jets would hire this guy after seeing how dreadful he was there. 

They had six personal foul penalties last night, and many more regular penalties.  That’s fireable on the spot, IMO.  It’s honestly hard to fathom.   I’m not a Jets fan, they are who they are and always have been. But this is egregious.

I love sports, but watching a bad product like what the Jets trot out is just terrible. 

J-E-T-S....Jets, Jets, Jets suck.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To keep my Carson Wentz Jekyll/Hyde thing going with Wentz, as bad as he’s played, what he’s dealing with is pretty incredible. Is there another QB/team in the league dealing with this many guys out? 49ers are close, but even their injuries aren’t this bad. 

Wentz is without:

Alshon Jeffrey - WR - Out

Desean Jackson - WR - Out

JJ Acela-Whiteside - WR - Out

Jaelon Reagor - WR - IR/Out

Marquise Goodwin - WR, Covid opt out

Dallas Goedert - TE - IR/Out 

Issac Seumalo - Starting G - IR/Out

Brandin Brooks - Out for the year, starting, Pro Bowl LG

Andre Dillard - Out for the Year, starting LT 

Josh Perkins - Out for the year, backup TE

Jason Peters - Questionable - LT, originally begged out of retirement to be a Guard because of preseason injuries, not moved to LT because of more injuries. 

The Eagles literally had one WR on the entire active roster healthy enough to practice on Friday. 

While I’m frustrated with Wentz’s play, this is why I’m probably willing to stay on the bandwagon. The Eagles dealt with this the second half of past season, to the point where their leading receiver down the stretch as they clinched the division was a practice squad guy that was a QB in college. 

Now he’s dealing with it again this year, and it’s even worse. I can’t remember a QB in recent memory missing this many offensive lineman and receivers. You just can’t operate in the NFL with that. 

Edited by BGleas