2023 NFL Discussion

rico

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Since you ignored the post previously and now doubled down.  Have you had a chance to look at the Health and Human Services Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting site I linked a few days ago? 

https://vaers.hhs.gov/data.html

I can walk anyone through how to load up a massive data sheet on COVID-19 vaccine adverse events.  A little more than sore arms, i know, shocking.  

VAERS reports alone cannot be used to determine if a vaccine caused or contributed to an adverse event or illness. The reports may contain information that is incomplete, inaccurate, coincidental, or unverifiable. In large part, reports to VAERS are voluntary, which means they are subject to biases. This creates specific limitations on how the data can be used scientifically. Data from VAERS reports should always be interpreted with these limitations in mind.

This is on page one of what you linked.  I'm also suspicious of any data base open to the public at large.  Also, if all of the information in this report is assumed to be true, why do medical professionals continue to urge people to get vaccinated?  I'm not going to take medical advice from politicians, and I'm certainly not going to take it from the internet, but I will take it from my doctor and use a little common sense.

If social media existed in the 50's polio would still be rampant.  If everything on the internet were true, IU basketball would be coached by Billy Donavan...or Brad Stevens...or both!

5 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

VAERS reports alone cannot be used to determine if a vaccine caused or contributed to an adverse event or illness. The reports may contain information that is incomplete, inaccurate, coincidental, or unverifiable. In large part, reports to VAERS are voluntary, which means they are subject to biases. This creates specific limitations on how the data can be used scientifically. Data from VAERS reports should always be interpreted with these limitations in mind.

This is on page one of what you linked.  I'm also suspicious of any data base open to the public at large.  Also, if all of the information in this report is assumed to be true, why do medical professionals continue to urge people to get vaccinated?  I'm not going to take medical advice from politicians, and I'm certainly not going to take it from the internet, but I will take it from my doctor and use a little common sense.

If social media existed in the 50's polio would still be rampant.  If everything on the internet were true, IU basketball would be coached by Billy Donavan...or Brad Stevens...or both!

Yeah, that VAERS site isn't much more useful than looking at the comments on somebody's tweet.

There are definitely possible side effects from the vaccine that people need to be aware of, but that website is just random people reporting things that might not even be related.

I didn't follow real closely, but were there any suspicious cancelations last year?

I can see the idea of making a team forfeit. If a 7-6 team is playing the Chiefs next week, and they have 1 case and cancel, that's not really fair. On the other end, if a team has a lot of positives and are forced to cancel, that's also not really fair.

I'm glad I don't have to be in charge of walking the line between both sides of this.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

So... outside of it simply being easier to play football this year... 

Why would a perfectly healthy 22yr old get a vaccine they don't need?

Just now, btownqb said:

Look.. I get the argument "just get the vaccine and make it easy".. I do get that. 

But to not understand the players side of this... marginally disturbing. 

As I said, let them play.  The consequences are what they are.

Just now, rico said:

As I said, let them play.  The consequences are what they are.

Right. I can go along with that somewhat, other than... if a non vaccinated person is a close contact (absolutely idiotic term)... they should get tested within two days, if nothing.. and no symptoms. Move on. 

Truthfully, if they'd stop testing their season would be so simple and so much cheaper. 

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

@IU Scott I'm not getting vaccinated. Neither is my wife and my 4 best friends and their wives or children. 

😅

If I have a son there's no chance that vaccine would touch his arm... not until those myocarditis numbers go way down. 

I'm a little confused why don't care about the players health anymore than you do. 

Why? Because I don't understand this line of thinking at all.  What will you do if they tell you that you can't coach if you are not vaccinated

Just now, btownqb said:

I will convene with my wife and pray. 

There is a better chance of getting health problems after having the virus compared to any danger from the vaccine.  I know I had no breathing problems before I had the virus twice but now I have problems breathing.  

53 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Why would a perfectly healthy 22yr old get a vaccine they don't need?

I think there is a lot of validity in this statement.  My doctor advised me to get the vaccine, but clearly I am not a 22 year old athlete, and like all viruses Covid affects people differently.  That said ,I also am a regular subscriber the the "better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it" philosophy.  My wife will tell you to look at my garage as proof!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Muddy River said:

Fair enough, but would you continue to encourage him further if his talent allowed?

I would encourage my kids to do anything they feel like they need to "better" themselves. I can see that risk, I can see that reward. 

The absolute only reason I see for a player (most) to get the vaccine is to get everyone off his back. And I don't really think that's a good reason. 

Now I'm not advocating they are wrong to get it, but they should not be chastised for not.  

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

There is a better chance of getting health problems after having the virus compared to any danger from the vaccine.  I know I had no breathing problems before I had the virus twice but now I have problems breathing.  

That's not true for young people.  I had the virus and have had zero lingering effects. 

3 hours ago, Muddy River said:

Im not trying to discredit the vaccine but people will go way out of their way to try and explain any risks away.  Why is it ok for this to be so one sided?  Question for the board at large and society, especially media.  

My wife is 6 months pregnant.  If i could have video recorded our pediatrician and her ob when we said we weren't getting the vaccine I would share but it basically went like this.  Big sigh of relief and a I dont blame you and you dont need it.  My grandfather's neurologist has told my family not to get a vaccine for something that is likely not to kill or seriously debilitate you.  They are convinced his ALS started after a reaction to the flu vaccine.  I don't know, I truly dont, i remain skeptical.  Im not anti vax, I'm for people making their own decisions.  My 2.5 year old is up to date on major vax and Ive had a boat load in my life but don't need a flu shot or covid at this point in my life and neither do a vast majority of professional athletes.

Sorry to be off subject.  I hope i never make another post about vaccines or covid again because I wont change your mind and let me let you in on a secret.  You won't change mine either.  

Good day, good health.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Im not trying to discredit the vaccine but people will go way out of their way to try and explain any risks away.  Why is it ok for this to be so one sided?  Question for the board at large and society, especially media.  

My wife is 6 months pregnant.  If i could have video recorded our pediatrician and her ob when we said we weren't getting the vaccine I would share but it basically went like this.  Big sigh of relief and a I dont blame you and you dont need it.  My grandfather's neurologist has told my family not to get a vaccine for something that is likely not to kill or seriously debilitate you.  They are convinced his ALS started after a reaction to the flu vaccine.  I don't know, I truly dont, i remain skeptical.  Im not anti vax, I'm for people making their own decisions.  My 2.5 year old is up to date on major vax and Ive had a boat load in my life but don't need a flu shot or covid at this point in my life and neither do a vast majority of professional athletes.

Sorry to be off subject.  I hope i never make another post about vaccines or covid again because I wont change your mind and let me let you in on a secret.  You won't change mine either.  

Good day, good health.  

I'm not trying to change your mind, you listened to YOUR doctor.  It's what I think everyone should do.  Clearly you are at a different station in life than I am, and received different advice.  Not right or wrong, just different.  I think we are much more in agreement on this issue than you might think.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Good day, good health.  

Son of a gun.. good post. 

47 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That's not true for young people.  I had the virus and have had zero lingering effects. 

Thats you. My 25 year old daughter has been hospitalized 3 times with blood clots in her lungs and has nearly passed out 2 times at work because of the clots all due to COVID. She works in a hospital and have an extensive physical prior to starting her job. 2 months later gets Covid and has been in the hospital multiple times due to it.  Has to monitor and when they come back take blood thinners. She did not even know she had COVID but was was tested for contract tracing. $ or 5 days later was pure hell for her. Is she the norm? probably not but she also is not the outlier. We have a 32 year old neighbor that was a distance runner competes in the min etc.. and can hardly walk around our block without having to rest, since being hospitalized for Covid. 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Thats you. My 25 year old daughter has been hospitalized 3 times with blood clots in her lungs and has nearly passed out 2 times at work because of the clots all due to COVID. She works in a hospital and have an extensive physical prior to starting her job. 2 months later gets Covid and has been in the hospital multiple times due to it.  Has to monitor and when they come back take blood thinners. She did not even know she had COVID but was was tested for contract tracing. $ or 5 days later was pure hell for her. Is she the norm? probably not but she also is not the outlier. We have a 32 year old neighbor that was a distance runner competes in the min etc.. and can hardly walk around our block without having to rest, since being hospitalized for Covid. 

He said there's a better chance of a heart or breathing problem from Covid for a young person compared to the virus. And I said that's not true.

I didn't say no young ppl had covid complications from the virus... I know someone, 30 years old that got bell's plasy from the vaccine. 

I'd much rather risk the flu than myocarditis.. if I were a 24 yr old pro football player.