2023 NFL Discussion

rico

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

That's kind of what I meant in my earlier post. That list is Area 51 stuff. If he's not on it already or within next week he won't be. 

Of course the trade value is really hurt or some team could hit the home run. Take a chance for this year with understanding he could sit all next year? Take the PR hit for any team who brings him in? Tough one to balance. No doubt his ability and usually someone will overlook character flaws as long as the talent is there. I'd also say it has to be a city willing to take that on. Miami, Philly...are a couple that come to mind. Indy doesn't fit that bill.

I really respect you as a poster and generally agree with your POV. Not on this take though. This wouldn’t be a “PR hit” and it’s certainly not a “character flaw” if this guy is guilty of what multiple women are accusing him of. If Ray Rice was blackballed from the league for what he did, I can’t imagine Watson survives, nor should he, if even one of the victim’s claims is proven true.

Talent or not, the league has an image to uphold and paying a guy as tainted as Watson should not be allowed 

7 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I really respect you as a poster and generally agree with your POV. Not on this take though. This wouldn’t be a “PR hit” and it’s certainly not a “character flaw” if this guy is guilty of what multiple women are accusing him of. If Ray Rice was blackballed from the league for what he did, I can’t imagine Watson survives, nor should he, if even one of the victim’s claims is proven true.

Talent or not, the league has an image to uphold and paying a guy as tainted as Watson should not be allowed 

Big Ben- 6 games...rape (past history from college too)

Zeke- 6 games...domestic violence

Ray Rice-as you said banned basically...

Deshaun Watson-22 civil suits (21 filed by one attorney)...without criminal charges being filed (big no no in civil world) by prosecutors office.

These just aren't the same cases. I do appreciate the kind words on poster part....but Watson very well might be a Darren Sharper or Kellen Winslow (allegedly) but until they get the guts of the case, people on record, not looking just for a payout.... there probably won't be much punishment. 

I don't want the guy on my team but someone will. 

• Like 1

Speaking of Watson, the rumors yesterday was that Philly was nearing a deal to get him.  Apparently those talks have stalled.  But I did see this from Mike Bullock(SB Nation) concerning Deshaun:

With so many different opinions, different ‘hot takes,’ and rumors flying around, it’s really anyone’s guess as to what will come of all this. If Watson is guilty of the charges leveled against him, his professional sports career should be forfeited and he should not only cough up major financial reparations to the women involved, but see the inside of jail cell. If not, the allegations are a major speed bump in the career of a generational talent.

If nothing else, hopefully this shines a light on the sort of behavior Watson is accused of and prevents other men from engaging in these sorts of despicable activities. Either way, the only certainty is this mess won’t get cleaned up anytime soon. The real crime of it all? Immoral men will continue to pray on women they perceive as vulnerable.

Not sure if many are or will watch but Edge did himself proud tonight. Won't ever forget draft day taking Edge over RW. I called the Colts and said thank you very, very much....and the lady answering said you might be the only one saying that. She said everyone is cussing me out. Haha. 

Consummate pro and great teammate. Congrats to Edge and all of the Colts entering Canton Correctional. 

• Like 1

Peyton was everything for me growing up. I was 7 when the Colts picked him. I wanted to be a QB because of him. I wore #18 in the 5th and 6th grade because of him. 

Can you guys truly think of anyone that is "godlike" and revered the way Peyton Manning is in two different states? It's truly remarkable. 

• Like 2

Just now, btownqb said:

Peyton was everything for me growing up. I was 7 when the Colts picked him. I wanted to be a QB because of him. I wore #18 in the 5th and 6th grade because of him. 

Can you guys truly think of anyone that is "godlike" and revered the way Peyton Manning is in two different states? It's truly remarkable. 

Changed the city of Indy and the state of Indiana in immeasurable ways. On and off the field. Lucas Oil, Downtown Indy being built up, his Hospital....not to mention coaches started running pro style offenses around 2000 in high school  besides the dated Wing T. Billions of $ he brought to us and our state we love.

One of the greatest Hoosiers of all time. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Agree with you 💯.

Wayne Gretzky would be the similarity, in my opinion 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Agree with you 💯.

Wayne Gretzky would be the similarity, in my opinion 

Idk much about him other than obviously how great he was, but I'll certainly take your word for it. 

Just feel blessed to have witnessed 18s greatness for so long. What a ride. 

• Like 1

Just now, btownqb said:

Idk much about him other than obviously how great he was, but I'll certainly take your word for it. 

Just feel blessed to have witnessed 18s greatness for so long. What a ride. 

Gretzky was the GOAT before there was such a thing in Edmonton. He then went to Los Angeles and saved hockey for SoCal. The number of kids who come from that area and make it big time can all attribute their inspiration to Gretzky. Saving the sport in one of the largest markets in the country is all due to his presence 

• Like 2

This is awesome. HOF weekend is one of my favorite weekends of the year. Just the mutual respect and ability to hear from the most elite of the elite, specifically in the golden years of football, makes it so special to see. Love him or hate him, it's awesome to see Ryan Leaf bounce back from his struggles.

Edited by B_A
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Colts just inked Reich and Ballard to extensions to 2026. Oh and this little nugget. Wentz and Nelson are on track to play week 1. 

This is great news. From the sounds of it even if they miss the first game they won't be out long.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 4

On 8/11/2021 at 9:04 AM, Seeking6 said:

Colts just inked Reich and Ballard to extensions to 2026. Oh and this little nugget. Wentz and Nelson are on track to play week 1. 

The question is how much mobility Wentz will have that soon afterward.  He will never be Lamar, but he cant succeed being a statue like Brady either.

Can someone explain to me the Indy media's infatuation with QB's that can't take shots down the field and are easy to scheme for. They did it with Brissett and now with Ehlinger who has a weak arm by NFL QB standards and can't take deep shots without floating the ball. It's just comical to me. 

12 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Can someone explain to me the Indy media's infatuation with QB's that can't take shots down the field and are easy to scheme for. They did it with Brissett and now with Ehlinger who has a weak arm by NFL QB standards and can't take deep shots without floating the ball. It's just comical to me. 

Ehlinger is a back up. I hope we expand on the package we used JB for... that was fairly successful, and use SE in that role. 4-5 plays a game. 

Eason and Wentz have big boy arms. Andrew Luck is the reason Brissett ever got on the field. Well that and Grigson. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Not sure as I've not been reading the local media's articles. For some reason and maybe I'm just totally off but the local Colts and Pacer writers I think are some of the worst in their respective leagues. I assume it is that they simply are enamored with perhaps the accuracy of Ehlinger maybe?? Not sure really. I'm excited for Carson because he does have a pretty big arm and should be able to open up the offense vertically more. The thing about accuracy and short passing game is it is great if you stay ahead of the chains but man in the NFL it is so hard to consistently sustain drives that way because it takes almost perfect execution down the whole field to finish a drive. Guys like Tom Brady when he was in NE who could kill you with a thousand paper cuts because they were like a machine...not just him but everyone in the offense would play at a high level, few if ever any turnovers/penalties/drops. Most teams can't sustain that. Then even when they did he had that ability to still overcome a 3rd and long and keep it going when they did fall behind the chains. It just requires everything to go right on a drive and for most teams (especially the Colts) that rarely happens. So to have a guy that can get chunk yardage. Can open the field up by throwing to any part of it, I welcome. Taking chances and pushing it downfield is so important in the modern NFL. I can live with an interception here and there as long as we aren't doing it in the wrong side of the field and we are making big plays. Peyton and Luck would turn it over...but they were also putting stress on the defense and usually leading us to scoring much more than they gave up.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

The question is how much mobility Wentz will have that soon afterward.  He will never be Lamar, but he cant succeed being a statue like Brady either.

Yep. Certainly going to be something to watch but with first game 30 days out it's a pretty good sign for Colts and their fans. 

12 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

When Carson first came up he gave me Roethlisberger vibes.  It will be interesting if he can get back on track.  

He was pretty mobile too for his size. The problem is his ACL and then the deteriation of his OL....but he has a little Luck in him along with Rothlisburger.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 9:10 AM, DC2345 said:

Ehlinger surprised me in-person. The media is jumping on him bc he went from 3rd string to splitting 1st team reps 50/50 with Eason on Thursday. Eason has been a disappointment this camp, but can still develop.