2023 NFL Discussion

rico

2 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Ballard is an upgrade over Grigson, is he a top 10 GM in our league yes IMO but from high praise that every is stating he should be doing better overall.  BUT the talent he has missed on are positions that you just can't miss.  Campbell(Ballard) vs Dorsett(Grigson) is one example.  Rock Ya-Sin(Ballard) is another that is big miss.  Turray along D-line is another.  

Ballard has made some good moves and draft picks. He does have flaws with certain positions. He neglects T depth, he doesn't go after elite speed play makers, he neglects the CB spot, and his pass rush defensive ends can't get off the bench (that's more on Flus imo). He also never tries to fill those spots in FA with any real upgrades other than Rhodes at CB. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Smith was out and Fisher was limited and played half the snaps leading to Davenport getting a ton of playing time and he can't block a statue. The O-line has good depth on the interior with Reed and Pinter but not at tackle. That said the O-line hasn't been as good the last couple years since Chris Strausser was hired. They've been good but not great. Last year was a product of Rivers quick release. Reich is also not a good play caller. He really needs to find an OC to hand that over to but he'll never do that. 

Reich fired the OL coach who had them playing well because he was to mean and cussed

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Reich fired the OL coach who had them playing well because he was to mean and cussed

Yeah there was probably more to it than that. That guy has never been in the same job very long but he did have the o-line playing better that's for sure. 

As a coach:

Boston College (1991–1992)
Graduate assistant

Boston University (1993–1996)
Assistant head coach & offensive line coach

Connecticut (1997–1998)
Offensive line coach

South Carolina (1999–2003)
Offensive line coach

New York Giants (2004–2008)
Assistant offensive line & quality control coach

Miami Dolphins (2009–2011)
Offensive line coach

New York Jets (2012)
Offensive line coach

New England Patriots (2014–2015)
Offensive line coach

San Diego Chargers (2016)
Assistant offensive line coach

Miami Dolphins (2017)
Offensive line coach

Indianapolis Colts (2018)
Offensive line coach

Miami Dolphins (2019)
Offensive line coach

New York Giants (2020)
Offensive line coach

Louisiana Tech (2021–present)
Offensive line coach

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Ballard has made some good moves and draft picks. He does have flaws with certain positions. He neglects T depth, he doesn't go after elite speed play makers, he neglects the CB spot, and his pass rush defensive ends can't get off the bench (that's more on Flus imo). He also never tries to fill those spots in FA with any real upgrades other than Rhodes at CB. 

Fisher? 

There aren't exactly many DE/CB/Elite speed guys/T in FA that we want. 

Look what he has had to replace recently. QB, LT, and address DE in the same off season shew. 

Corner postion is fine when healthy. Not sure where we go next off season though. 

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

Yeah there was probably more to it than that. That guy has never been in the same job very long but he did have the o-line playing better that's for sure. 

As a coach:

Boston College (1991–1992)
Graduate assistant

Boston University (1993–1996)
Assistant head coach & offensive line coach

Connecticut (1997–1998)
Offensive line coach

South Carolina (1999–2003)
Offensive line coach

New York Giants (2004–2008)
Assistant offensive line & quality control coach

Miami Dolphins (2009–2011)
Offensive line coach

New York Jets (2012)
Offensive line coach

New England Patriots (2014–2015)
Offensive line coach

San Diego Chargers (2016)
Assistant offensive line coach

Miami Dolphins (2017)
Offensive line coach

Indianapolis Colts (2018)
Offensive line coach

Miami Dolphins (2019)
Offensive line coach

New York Giants (2020)
Offensive line coach

Louisiana Tech (2021–present)
Offensive line coach

NFL to LT should be all.you need to.know.  maybe IU will hire him. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Fisher? 

There aren't exactly many DE/CB/Elite speed guys/T in FA that we want. 

Look what he has had to replace recently. QB, LT, and address DE in the same off season shew. 

Corner postion is fine when healthy. Not sure where we go next off season though. 

I said T depth and Fisher is a starter. I didn't say just in free agency. He's neglected those spots in the draft too. Ballard has been above average but he has spots that he neglects as do most GM's for whatever reason. 

35 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I said T depth and Fisher is a starter. I didn't say just in free agency. He's neglected those spots in the draft too. Ballard has been above average but he has spots that he neglects as do most GM's for whatever reason. 

He drafted a T. 

He didn't neglect DE. He didn't need to address to corner, he will this off season. 

Obviously didn't neglect QB. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He drafted a T. 

He didn't neglect DE. He didn't need to address to corner, he will this off season. 

With the way the salary cap is in the NFL a GM can only do so much. You have to prioritize positions and the money is going to be dispersed between them, especially when bringing in a QB that is paid what Wentz is. 

You can't just add everywhere. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He drafted a T. 

He has  drafted multiple DE's that contribute about as much as I do. Fries is a G and not a tackle. If you don't see that he has issues fixing holes at certain spots I can't help you but those spots are a big reason this team is 0-2. 

Edited by DC2345

9 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

He has  drafted multiple DE's that contribute about as much as I do. Fries is a G and not a tackle. If you don't see that he has issues fixing holes at certain spots I can't help you but those spots are a big reason this team is 0-2. 

I'm talking about THIS offseason... You said didn't address them, he did address them. Now.. if that draft pick doesn't work out, I mean that's the game. That's why he wants pick after pick after pick. It's how many darts you get to throw at the board. 

It looks like he hit on Paye. He seems adequate. He has too many holes to fix. Fixed LT, fixed QB... and it appears he fixed one of the two DE's. Pretty darn good off season. If you can't see those holes were addressed, I can't help you. 

The OL not performing in the running game and not allowing us to shorten the games have been the biggest reason for our 0-2 start. If we are going to be any good, our running game has to be top 3-4 in the league. 

Hines only getting two touches in an entire game is ridiculous. Rhodes injury has hurt (most people struggle without their best corner). Kenny Moore also sucked the other day. 

Edited by btownqb

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm talking about THIS offseason... You said didn't address them, he did address them. Now.. if that draft pick doesn't work out, I mean that's the game. That's why he wants pick after pick after pick. It's how many darts you get to throw at the board. 

It looks like he hit on Paye. He seems adequate. He has too many holes to fix. Fixed LT, fixed QB... and it appears he fixed one of the two DE's. Pretty darn good off season. If you can't see those holes were addressed, I can't help you. 

The OL not performing in the running game and not allowing us to shorten the games have been the biggest reason for our 0-2 start. If we are going to be any good, our running game has to be top 3-4 in the league. 

Hines only getting two touches in an entire game is ridiculous. Rhodes injury has hurt (most people struggle without their best corner). Kenny Moore also sucked the other day. 

I noted that DE production might be more on Flus. That position isn't as big an issue but he has thrown a lot of draft picks at the position. LT is still tbd although Fisher should fix that. However he did not address the backup tackle spot knowing Fisher wouldn't be 100% at the start of the season. Signing Tevi, Holden, Davenport, and Pryor was a prayer and not a plan. Pryor is more of a guard and Fries was a draft pick and he's also a guard. All it takes is one bad offensive lineman and it can throw off the entire line. 

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

With the way the salary cap is in the NFL a GM can only do so much. You have to prioritize positions and the money is going to be dispersed between them, especially when bringing in a QB that is paid what Wentz is. 

You can't just add everywhere. 

The thing is that every year the Colts have plenty of cap space and he refused to use all of it.  I like Ballard but he had trouble getting good CB's and WR's.  It also seems like he has a lot of misses in the second round with DL

4 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I get that the Texans don't want to make Mills do too much, but come on. At some point you've got to let him do something. Taylor is out at least a few games, so it isn't like he's just a 1 game guy like that dude for the Cowboys last year. Reminds me of Trubisky's first year with the Bears.

Texans coaching staff reading HSN?

Well Colts season is almost done before the first month of the season is over.  The main difference today is RedZone execution. Each team had 4 scoring drives but the Titans scored 3 TD's and 1 fg where the Colts had 1 TD and 3 fg's.  Colts defense forced 3 turnovers but only got 10 points from those turnovers.