2023 NFL Discussion

rico

2 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I'll say it here and now, the Colts suck!

Blame goes all around including Ballard!!! The Frank Reich/ Carson Wentz experiment isn't working. I say tank the rest of the season and get the #1 pick in the draft and get a QB you can build a team around.

Wentz has been very good this year and had almost 400 yards tonight.  Also we probably won't have the first round draft pick.

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Wentz has been very good this year and had almost 400 yards tonight.  Also we probably won't have the first round draft pick.

Colts will play Wentz until about week 12 or 13. If they are mathematically eliminated that’s when he’ll get benched to save the draft pick. 

Gut punch loss for the Colts. Dominated a good team on the road....to give it away like that just can't happen. I guess Rodrigo was hurt but he has to make that kick. Defense shouldn't be giving up 19 point leads either.

I don't like making changes just for the sake of changes but this is a 1-4 team. Luckily Colts are in the worst division in football and 9-10 wins might win division but that game last night can't happen.

I've been watching a whole lot of football this season and the number of teams that are letting the opponent march straight down the field at the end of games is worse now than it has ever been.  Hell, the Bengals and Packers let each other do it about 3 times each, but they kept missing the field goal.  Somewhere there has do be a defensive coordinator with the guts to play straight up in those situations.  The 'prevent' defense does anything but that, and it's to the point where it's an automatic field goal attempt, and a touchdown a large percentage of the time if that's what the opponent needs.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I've been watching a whole lot of football this season and the number of teams that are letting the opponent march straight down the field at the end of games is worse now than it has ever been.  Hell, the Bengals and Packers let each other do it about 3 times each, but they kept missing the field goal.  Somewhere there has do be a defensive coordinator with the guts to play straight up in those situations.  The 'prevent' defense does anything but that, and it's to the point where it's an automatic field goal attempt, and a touchdown a large percentage of the time if that's what the opponent needs.   

I've noticed this for years. I've never quite figured out if it's because defenses are just worn out by that stage of the game, offenses just stay on the field longer because they have 4 chances to get a first down instead of 3, or if offenses are just making plays. Then you have the timely pass interference calls that always seem to come when certain QB's need them. 

• Like 1

Kicker doesn't get hurt/don't miss a block on a FG and the defensive problems are never remembered. 

You couldn't blitz. We didn't have enough juice to get there in time, plus playing man on the back end with Brown would have been disastrous. 

Eberfleus was in a tough spot. Plus down 1, 2, and 4 best corners. Not counting Moore. Shew. 

Fumble in the Redzone, blocked FG. Two biggest plays. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, rico said:

Bieniemy will be the top of most lists. Draboll is who I want in Chicago. Byron Leftwich is going to start getting some calls. Thing about the Raiders gig though. It takes a certain type of coach. A guy who embraces the dark side of the force if you will. Can't be just your run of the mill up and coming coordinator....which of course is funny because I just named those. 

I could see the Raiders (as they always do) go a little contrarian. Maybe a guy like Lincoln Riley. Or some other coach in college. Shoot even a guy like James Franklin. I know USC wants him but maybe this is his shot at the pros?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

I'm actually more intrigued by the Colts now than I was this time yesterday.  

So am i, people look at the final score and think well Colts blew it. But they don't realize there was circumstances they couldn't control. Their kicker had a hip injury, which cost them winning it in regulation. Plus they were down to practice squad players in the seconday, any good QB let alone a former MVP was going to shred that secondary. Also people saying the Wentz experiment isn't working is weird since Carson was amazing in the game.

They went on the road in an hostile environment with a hobbled kicker, missing two starting O-line, one of them the best guard in the league, plus their secondary was decimated during the game, but still went into overtime against a good team.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Colts will play Wentz until about week 12 or 13. If they are mathematically eliminated that’s when he’ll get benched to save the draft pick. 

They will never bench him, teams would know why he is benched and they would lose any credibilty trading with teams in the future.

2 hours ago, rico said:

LOL...understood.  But I remember when "we" wore bags over our heads too.

I have been a fan since 84 when they moved here and remember plenty of of seasons with less than 4 wins.  I remember the ticket office having to try to get all the tickets sold by Thursday to avoid the blackout.  Also remember Duke Tomato sing lord help our Colts