2023 NFL Discussion

rico

4 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

So am i, people look at the final score and think well Colts blew it. But they don't realize there was circumstances they couldn't control. Their kicker had a hip injury, which cost them winning it in regulation. Plus they were down to practice squad players in the seconday, any good QB let alone a former MVP was going to shred that secondary. Also people saying the Wentz experiment isn't working is weird since Carson was amazing in the game.

They went on the road in an hostile environment with a hobbled kicker, missing two starting O-line, one of them the best guard in the league, plus their secondary was decimated during the game, but still went into overtime against a good team.

This

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

They will never bench him, teams would know why he is benched and they would lose any credibilty trading with teams in the future.

I get that but if their record has it turning into a top 5-10 pick then they’ve got to do what’s best for the franchise to get better since they don’t sign free agents. 

4 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Why? They are giving up over 32 points per game. Any joker could play RB for them with Mahomes and the passing game getting the attention. They need help on defense for crying out loud. Worst in the league. They are losing because they are giving up 10 more points per game over last year. They are actually scoring 2 more points per game this year than last.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I get that but if their record has it turning into a top 5-10 pick then they’ve got to do what’s best for the franchise to get better since they don’t sign free agents. 

I see what you are saying but i would be shocked if the Colts set him. Besides with their schedule getting easier from here on out i don't think there is any chance they are picking that high.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rico said:

Does anyone else around here think that the Mahommes/Chiefs are starting to parallel  the Marino/Dolphins early on?

His game reminded me of Brett Favre but certainly the way they have put together the team I can see that. They can beat anyone for sure and a lead will never be safe against them and his career has a long way to go...but if they don't build a more balanced team he may have been lucky to win that first SB...you never are assured your going to get back so easily.

23 hours ago, rico said:

Does anyone else around here think that the Mahommes/Chiefs are starting to parallel  the Marino/Dolphins early on?

PM is an offsides penalty away from being in 3 straight Super Bowls and winning one before the age of 26. I liked Marino but not much else in common in terms of winning in the playoffs. 

I think most of these national conversations just started because of what Jimmy said on Sunday about Herbert. Mahomes is still the guy. They just have some tightening up to do. 

• Like 2

On 10/13/2021 at 6:06 PM, rico said:

Yeah i think you are right on this, teams are starting to pass the Chiefs up and QBs like Herbert, Allen, and potentialy Murray plus Jackson are catching Mahomes.

Edited by Hoosier51

20 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Watching the Eagles and Bucs game, Hurts looks like he might turn out to be a good QB for them. The Wentz trade is starting to look like a win win for both the Colts and Philly. 👍

I'm an Eagles fan, but not yet sold on Hurts. I like him and think he has potential, but not sure his accuracy or arm strength will ever been good enough. 

But yes, I do think the trade was a win/win, especially if that pick moves up to a 1st. The Colts got a solid starting QB, that is worth a 1st round pick. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm an Eagles fan, but not yet sold on Hurts. I like him and think he has potential, but not sure his accuracy or arm strength will ever been good enough. 

But yes, I do think the trade was a win/win, especially if that pick moves up to a 1st. The Colts got a solid starting QB, that is worth a 1st round pick. 

This is the first I've seen him play and he has looked alright so far. He does seem to need to work on his accuracy though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

This is the first I've seen him play and he has looked alright so far. He does seem to need to work on his accuracy though.

He way under threw that deep ball on the first drive and way over threw Ertz on the last 3rd down play. Those happen a decent amount of times throughout each game. 

Don't get me wrong, I like him, he's a great leader and brings some good things, but he needs to improve on accuracy and arm strength to be a legit franchise starter.

He's got some work to do. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

PM is an offsides penalty away from being in 3 straight Super Bowls and winning one before the age of 26. I liked Marino but not much else in common in terms of winning in the playoffs. 

I think most of these national conversations just started because of what Jimmy said on Sunday about Herbert. Mahomes is still the guy. They just have some tightening up to do. 

The Chiefs have played in 2 Super Bowls. They have been outplayed in 7 of the 8 quarters of those 2 games…

I believe that Mahomes has the potential to be a HOF quarterback. However, I also believe that the media has portrayed him, and convinced its consumers, that he’s the second coming.

Mahomes is too young, and has too much more to accomplish to be put up on the pedestal with the all-time greats. 
Classic case of regency theory.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The Chiefs have played in 2 Super Bowls. They have been outplayed in 7 of the 8 quarters of those 2 games…

I believe that Mahomes has the potential to be a HOF quarterback. However, I also believe that the media has portrayed him, and convinced its consumers, that he’s the second coming.

Mahomes is too young, and has too much more to accomplish to be put up on the pedestal with the all-time greats. 
Classic case of regency theory.

When it come to the Chiefs I am not concerned about Mahomes.  It is the team as a whole.  Hence my Marino led Dolphins comparison.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

That defense is absolute trash....they will have to play like those early Colt teams and try to get out to a lead...but that team is so fragile. If Hill or Kelce go down for any time at all they won't make the playoffs. As a defense you know they will move the ball but if you can tighten up in the redzone and hold them to fgs...you will beat them...because their defense is as soft as tissue....they can't even stop a runny nose.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BGleas said:

Hurts is NOT the man. He would make a fabulous backup because he can run but my god his arm is terrible and he bails on the pocket on a whim....and when he does he always rolls right. He is slow to read...they might have multiple first rounders so good chance they can get a qb....not sure who in college is the next big thing but they are well positioned to take one.

PS....Your coach is in way over his head....way.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Hurts is NOT the man. He would make a fabulous backup because he can run but my god his arm is terrible and he bails on the pocket on a whim....and when he does he always rolls right. He is slow to read...they might have multiple first rounders so good chance they can get a qb....not sure who in college is the next big thing but they are well positioned to take one.

PS....Your coach is in way over his head....way.

If the Colts pick moves to a 1st rounder, the Eagles will have 3 first round picks and as of today all 3 are slotted in the top 10. Of course a lot can change, but that's where we stand right now. 

Agree on everything you said about Hurts and the Eagles coach. Hurts is ok, and he's a great leader/teammate, but unless he improves a ton we're not looking at the next Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott here. I'm interested in seeing how he progresses this season, but I don't think he is the answer. 

• Like 1

Saw an interesting stat on Mahomes. First let me preface it with I agree with the sentiment that the league is catching up to the Chiefs, not necessarily Mahomes. Mahomes is an absolute stud, but it's incredibly hard to win in the NFL, and his salary is going to impact their roster construction. 

Anyways, the stats are that Patrick Mahomes in his NFL career to-date is 0-0 in Wildcard games and 0-0 in road playoff games. Outside of Super Bowls, Mahomes has never played in a playoff game outside of Arrowhead Stadium and he's never played in the playoffs before the Divisional Round. 

It looks like the Chiefs will face both situations this year, so it will be interesting to see how he does in a not so comfortable environment at playoff time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2