2023 NFL Discussion

rico

And again.. to Dulin and Pascal. I guess Rodgers only throwing for 185 yards the other night is just over looked? Missing his top 3 guys.. yeah that's probably going to hurt your output. 

This Wentz stuff is for the birds and so ridiculously media driven..Jalen Hurts numbers are atrocious in the first 3qs of games... alllll he gets is mop up yards and TDs. Wentz was in an awful situation last year and that's literally the only reason he struggled. He is a stud. More weapons and more time will show that. Kind of silly to question a 5 to 1 interception ratio though.  

261349.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wentz staying out of negative plays, which I get that happened at the goal line, has been way underrated the last 5 weeks. 

Maneuvered his way out of a fair amount of them on Sunday. Truthfully I said we needed the average of Luck and Rivers with how good 80% of that roster is. Couple of tweaks.. then we're good. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

And again.. to Dulin and Pascal. I guess Rodgers only throwing for 185 yards the other night is just over looked? Missing his top 3 guys.. yeah that's probably going to hurt your output. 

This Wentz stuff is for the birds and so ridiculously media driven..Jalen Hurts numbers are atrocious in the first 3qs of games... alllll he gets is mop up yards and TDs. Wentz was in an awful situation last year and that's literally the only reason he struggled. He is a stud. More weapons and more time will show that. Kind of silly to question a 5 to 1 interception ratio though.  

261349.jpeg

Ballard has to upgrade the offensive weapons on this team. Taylor and Pittman are the only guys that seem like can consistently make plays. The days of counting on Hilton and Campbell for their speed and big plays are over with their constant injuries.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dgambill said:

Has he been an upgrade over what Philip Rivers gave us last year?? I'd say about the same. He is on pace for a couple more td's, about the same completion percentage, and a couple less ints, while fewer yds. We have basically the same wrs we had as last year....much the same offensive talent. Weren't we sold on this being an upgrade....a fix for our qb room long term....made a serious investment for (1st and 3rd round pick). If you say yeah...a small upgrade...then to me you have made my point. He has been solid...but that isn't great nor bad.....just solid. That isn't good enough imo for what we are investing in him and what our expectations were for this marriage. That was my simple point. Much rather have him then a dozen other qbs....but do we feel like we have the definitive answer to our QB search? Maybe my expectations are too high...but I don't think I'm crazy in saying it hasn't exactly gone how the Colts and the fans would hope.

You forget the yards that Wentz gets running compared to Rivers.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, btownqb said:

Yep,......I emphasized the obvious above...I have felt this way the entire season..... Doyel from Indy Star on the other hand is a tool, IMHO... As soon as I see his name addressed on any negatively charged IU, Pacers or Colts articles, I don't even waste my time reading it.

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, dgambill said:

Has he been an upgrade over what Philip Rivers gave us last year?? I'd say about the same. He is on pace for a couple more td's, about the same completion percentage, and a couple less ints, while fewer yds. We have basically the same wrs we had as last year....much the same offensive talent. Weren't we sold on this being an upgrade....a fix for our qb room long term....made a serious investment for (1st and 3rd round pick). If you say yeah...a small upgrade...then to me you have made my point. He has been solid...but that isn't great nor bad.....just solid. That isn't good enough imo for what we are investing in him and what our expectations were for this marriage. That was my simple point. Much rather have him then a dozen other qbs....but do we feel like we have the definitive answer to our QB search? Maybe my expectations are too high...but I don't think I'm crazy in saying it hasn't exactly gone how the Colts and the fans would hope.

I actually do. He's been very good and certainly better than solid. I have zero clue what you are seeing. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

People love to hate on Wentz every chance they get. It makes no sense to me but you see it with fans and the media. 

Just watching him.. he can play. He's way better athletically than I realized, strong, has a burst of speed, especially for someone 6'5 235lbs. This offense is going to grow A LOT. 

I'm not exactly sure what needs to happen to hit a crossing route.. but we need that and some slants to start hitting. 

• Like 1

I don't have an issue with Wentz at all. He gutted it out in the first Titans game, and since he's healed, has played exceptionally, except for the end of this last game.

My concern is with the decision making process coming from the HC. In the last season and a half, he has shown no evidence of evolving, no proof that he has learned from what hasn't worked. Between the incessant desire to go for it on 4th down, regardless of the circumstances, to his poor play calling decisions, (see screen pass from inside your own 5 yard line) he just comes across as too much of a gunslinger. Okay when it works out, but after repeated failures, he needs to back off. 

Players making mistakes is part of the game. Coaches not putting players and the team in the best position to excel/win is unacceptable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, btownqb said:

Just watching him.. he can play. He's way better athletically than I realized, strong, has a burst of speed, especially for someone 6'5 235lbs. This offense is going to grow A LOT. 

I'm not exactly sure what needs to happen to hit a crossing route.. but we need that and some slants to start hitting. 

He also needs weapons and not guys like Dulin and Pascal. Pascal is fine as a 4th or 5th reciever but not a 2 or 3. The also need more athleticism at TE. Allie-Cox is fine as a red zone threat but he´s stiff and can´t beat anyone. Doyel isn´t that guy and Granson hasn´t played. The RB spot is good but the others need upgrades. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I don't have an issue with Wentz at all. He gutted it out in the first Titans game, and since he's healed, has played exceptionally, except for the end of this last game.

My concern is with the decision making process coming from the HC. In the last season and a half, he has shown no evidence of evolving, no proof that he has learned from what hasn't worked. Between the incessant desire to go for it on 4th down, regardless of the circumstances, to his poor play calling decisions, (see screen pass from inside your own 5 yard line) he just comes across as too much of a gunslinger. Okay when it works out, but after repeated failures, he needs to back off. 

Players making mistakes is part of the game. Coaches not putting players and the team in the best position to excel/win is unacceptable.

More than fair. Frank is a good coach and I do think you're right about the gun slinging comment. I think this team would benefit tremendously from CONSISTENTLY putting the defense in the best positions possible and then the offense capitalizing off good field position and TOs. 

He also needs weapons and not guys like Dulin and Pascal. Pascal is fine as a 4th or 5th reciever but not a 2 or 3. The also need more athleticism at TE. Allie-Cox is fine as a red zone threat but he´s stiff and can´t beat anyone. Doyel isn´t that guy and Granson hasn´t played. The RB spot is good but the others need upgrades. 

I am with ya on the TE.  We need to get a good one.

Just now, DC2345 said:

Hey I agree 110%. Pros aren't on equal levels and a healthy TY and Parris change everything. We need a corner and a WR, no question. I'm fine with TE by committee, for everything else we spend money on.. some position group is going to suffer, some. I don't think it's pathetic room, but you can't have those 3 plus no playmakers at WR, outside of Pittman. 

What sucks about Campbell... he isn't a bust. He isn't Darius Heyward-Bey... he can play. He's shown that for like 7 games his whole career. 

The Colts also need to get the pass rush figured out. Whether it is scheme, how the rushers are being taught, or just a lack of talent the Colts have to start getting a pass rush with their front 4 like they did in the Manning era. Yes, I know this team doesn´t have two possible hall of famers playing DE but it seems like they just never find a way to get to the quarterback no matter how many guys Ballard has drafted or acquired. I think it might be because Flus is more worried about stopping the run which is annoying but it has to get better. 

The Colts also need to get the pass rush figured out. Whether it is scheme, how the rushers are being taught, or just a lack of talent the Colts have to start getting a pass rush with their front 4 like they did in the Manning era. Yes, I know this team doesn´t have two possible hall of famers playing DE but it seems like they just never find a way to get to the quarterback no matter how many guys Ballard has drafted or acquired. I think it might be because Flus is more worried about stopping the run which is annoying but it has to get better. 

playing with a lead more often will help, as well

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Hey I agree 110%. Pros aren't on equal levels and a healthy TY and Parris change everything. We need a corner and a WR, no question. I'm fine with TE by committee, for everything else we spend money on.. some position group is going to suffer, some. I don't think it's pathetic room, but you can't have those 3 plus no playmakers at WR, outside of Pittman. 

What sucks about Campbell... he isn't a bust. He isn't Darius Heyward-Bey... he can play. He's shown that for like 7 games his whole career. 

The Wentz loves his TE´s though and put up his best numbers with Ertz as his #1 target. I don´t mind TE by committee but they need better athleticsm which is possible after this season with Doyel being in the last year of his deal I believe. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

The Wentz loves his TE´s though and put up his best numbers with Ertz as his #1 target. I don´t mind TE by committee but they need better athleticsm which is possible after this season with Doyel being in the last year of his deal I believe. 

No clue what the NFL guys think of Hendershot....but to me he looks the part of a pass catching TE the NFL likes. Would be great for the Colts!

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

No clue what the NFL guys think of Hendershot....but to me he looks the part of a pass catching TE the NFL likes. Would be great for the Colts!

Not currently ranked very highly right now but that will possibly change after pro days and combine evaluations. 

• Like 1

Just now, DC2345 said:

We don't know about Granson, and I doubt we expected much this year. Bottom line... I think we were a year ahead of schedule last year. Offensively it's impressive we moved the ball as much as we did. 

We are still pieces away. We weren't going to make a run this year, regardless. If we can bring Fisher back two years for cheap... I assume Glow is gone. That will save 7.5m. Can Reed be the guy at RG moving forward or is that Pinters spot? 

15 hours ago, btownqb said:

261349.jpeg

And that right there shows you how silly that accomplishment is. A stat that puts these two in the same category is just cherry picking...interceptions are going to happen when you are pushing the ball down field and making big plays for your team. Anyways, I am not here to crap on Wentz.....yes I saw all the pundits come on and kill him (rightfully so) on his decision Sunday. He has been very serviceable so far this year and certainly hasn't been the one costing us games. I just feel he has been mediocre....and I was expecting better than that. He is basically mediocre in almost all the the measures of rating starting qbs out there. 15th...and while I believe he can improve on that he is clearly in that third tier of qb's right now. Not the elites like Brady, Allen, Stafford etc, not up there with the 2nd tier like Herbert, Burrow, Cousins....more around the middle of the Tannenhill/Matt Ryan/J Winston/Bridgewater group. So, I'm not saying he is bad...just not where I guess I'd hope he'd be considering his history with Reich. I knew it wouldn't be MVP caliber....but my expectations were he might be able to flirt with top 10 qb range. Time will tell.