2023 NFL Discussion

rico

1 minute ago, FritzIam4IU said:

They are asking taxpayers to pay half I believe…not sure that will fly. I am glad to get rid of the UFO toilet stadium whatever they end up doing.

I read that ownership is paying $2 billion, a $300 million loan from the NFL, and $900 million comes from the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority (i.e. taxpayers)...The Bears are saying they'll pay 72%...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bronkonagurski said:

The concept art looks super cool, that is for sure.

So my fear is the McCaskeys go on the cheap for the on the field product (wouldn't be the first time) like Ricketts did for the Cubs to recoup that money and play poor knowing the faithful Bears fans will still show up, just like the Cub fans did...

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So my fear is the McCaskeys go on the cheap for the on the field product (wouldn't be the first time) like Ricketts did for the Cubs to recoup that money and play poor knowing the faithful Bears fans will still show up, just like the Cub fans did...

Can teams really do that in the NFL though? They have both a salary floor and salary cap, unlike MLB. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bronkonagurski said:

Can teams really do that in the NFL though? They have both a salary floor and salary cap, unlike MLB. 

True, but teams can and do manipulate the numbers...and I'm sure the McCaskeys hire experts in that field...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

They are asking taxpayers to pay half I believe…not sure that will fly. I am glad to get rid of the UFO toilet stadium whatever they end up doing.

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I read that ownership is paying $2 billion, a $300 million loan from the NFL, and $900 million comes from the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority (i.e. taxpayers)...The Bears are saying they'll pay 72%...

I'm still diving into the numbers. Actually the first renovation of Soldier Field is still short $594M that I guess just gets rolled into this debt? Finances aside which has always been a joke in Illinois I'll say this.

Stadium looks awesome. Increased Capacity by at least 15k to meet F4 requirements. Love the open end facing the city for early season games. Concerns are this. Parking was already at a premium (costs a $100 to park next to stadium) so with construction and location they basically eliminated at least 50% of the tailgating area. Warren says he wants opened by 2028. Pretty aggressive timeline.

Hope all of this works. Will bring the Bears from an optics standpoint into the 21st century and will bring Chicago a wealth of opportunities to finally host national events like Indy. 

• Like 3