2023 NFL Discussion

rico

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am hoping that a change in scenery will help Wentz get back to his old self. From 2017-19 he was a top 12 QB so hopefully he gets back to that play.  I hope he can resurrect his career like Taneyhill did when he got traded to the Titans

I think he was better than top 12. But yes, I agree. 

He had top 3 WRs, top 2 TEs, best two OL, and best RB out for portions/majority of this year. 

Good move for all parties, including the Bears.  Eagles got solid compensation. Colts match Reich with Wentz and he will probably be less scattershot. Colts also didn’t have many more options.  I assume if Wentz plays most of the games, that number two transforms into a number one.  

Bears are happy because Wentz isn’t the right fit there.  They don’t have Reich to help straighten him out.  The market place figured out the optimal solution.  Maybe they look at Mac Jones.  Washington may also be on him.  

If I were the Eagles, I would trade up and get a big time QB.  I saw a ton of Hurts in college.  He played well last year but that’s not going to be sustainable.  They can easily make a move up for Wilson. 

• Like 1

1. I think this was a great trade. Gave up very little for a former #2. I know how last year was but a change of scenery, a good line and good run game. Now go get Alan Robinson draft a left tackle and edge rusher and the Colts will be in business. A big factor now is that teams will not longer be able to ignore passes outside the numbers and deep balls. How many bigger holes and running lanes without having the box stacked like it was against Rivers, do you think Taylor is going to have. I am very happy with this move. Now you can use 21 to get that left tackle or maybe package it to go get a big time play maker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Yep...looks like low risk/high reward deal for Colts.

As a Bears fan, I'm not worried...I'm sure Pace will find us a great QB at a fair price. :coffee:

I have no clue what the plan is....and right now it sounds like the wedge between Bears and Robinson is as big as it's ever been. Way to go Pace! As well as Philips/McCaskeys,etc...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Good move for all parties, including the Bears.  Eagles got solid compensation. Colts match Reich with Wentz and he will probably be less scattershot. Colts also didn’t have many more options.  I assume if Wentz plays most of the games, that number two transforms into a number one.  

Bears are happy because Wentz isn’t the right fit there.  They don’t have Reich to help straighten him out.  The market place figured out the optimal solution.  Maybe they look at Mac Jones.  Washington may also be on him.  

If I were the Eagles, I would trade up and get a big time QB.  I saw a ton of Hurts in college.  He played well last year but that’s not going to be sustainable.  They can easily make a move up for Wilson. 

I'm going to be a broken record until draft night....but if Mac Jones is there for the Bears. You grab him. I think he's going to be a phenomenal pro. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Agree on Hurts, and he wasn't really even that good last year...he just wasn't Wentz.

He went 1-3 with the win coming at home against the Saints without Drew Brees. His completion percentage was 52% and he threw 6 TD's to 4 INT's. I completely understand he didn't have an offseason and training camp to prepare to be the starter and you can't judge a rookie in 4-5 games.

That's why if I was the Eagles I would have kept Wentz and tried to trade Hurts. Hurts has some value because of the unknown and being just a 2nd year player. They probably could have gotten a 2nd or 3rd for him. Then in the draft you stock up on offensive lineup and defense (they took a bunch of WR last year), let the new coach rehabilitate Wentz and go from there. 

But, I guess that's not happening. As an Eagles fan I'm not too excited about heading into next season with Hurts and Nate Sudfeld as our QB's. I was hoping to not have to take a QB with #6 but it's looking like that would make the most sense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

But, I guess that's not happening. As an Eagles fan I'm not too excited about heading into next season with Hurts and Nate Sudfeld as our QB's. I was hoping to not have to take a QB with #6 but it's looking like that would make the most sense. 

Hey now.  Let's not dis on Nate Sudfeld.  

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm going to be a broken record until draft night....but if Mac Jones is there for the Bears. You grab him. I think he's going to be a phenomenal pro. 

If the Bears can't swing a deal for someone like Carr for a fair price (who some say Raiders are open to trading)...then I think you have to get Mac Jones and develop him. The Bears have too many needs and can't afford to give up a ton of picks to move up to top 5 in draft. Maybe pick up Fitzpatrick for a cheap one year deal to help mentor him until he is ready. My fear is that Pace and Nagy are firmly on the hot seat and probably need to have a good year to stay in Chicago, so they will overpay again for some mediocre at best QB and the Bears will have another 8-8/9-7 type season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

If the Bears can't swing a deal for someone like Carr for a fair price (who some say Raiders are open to trading)...then I think you have to get Mac Jones and develop him. The Bears have too many needs and can't afford to give up a ton of picks to move up to top 5 in draft. Maybe pick up Fitzpatrick for a cheap one year deal to help mentor him until he is ready. My fear is that Pace and Nagy are firmly on the hot seat and probably need to have a good year to stay in Chicago, so they will overpay again for some mediocre at best QB and the Bears will have another 8-8/9-7 type season.

Just got off the phone with a buddy and you basically summed up our conversation to a T. Draft Jones, get Fitzpatrick and start over. 

Problem is Packers are going to lose at least 4 starters, Lions suck, and Vikings are basically what we are.....I bring that up because the division is up for grabs behind 12. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BGleas said:

Agree on Hurts, and he wasn't really even that good last year...he just wasn't Wentz.

He went 1-3 with the win coming at home against the Saints without Drew Brees. His completion percentage was 52% and he threw 6 TD's to 4 INT's. I completely understand he didn't have an offseason and training camp to prepare to be the starter and you can't judge a rookie in 4-5 games.

That's why if I was the Eagles I would have kept Wentz and tried to trade Hurts. Hurts has some value because of the unknown and being just a 2nd year player. They probably could have gotten a 2nd or 3rd for him. Then in the draft you stock up on offensive lineup and defense (they took a bunch of WR last year), let the new coach rehabilitate Wentz and go from there. 

A reminder that Hurts put up better numbers at Oklahoma than the previous 2 Heisman winners.  Murray has super elite speed and was a 1st round MLB draft pick so he clearly has a gun.  Mayfield has become an effective game manager.  I see no reason why Hurts can't become as effective if he is surrounded by talent.  It's not fair to say well Wentz was garbage because he didn't have all his receivers, tight ends, o line and running back but Hurts was supposed to come in and save the team by himself with the same fractured roster?

Hurts has to be cheap right now and with that salary cap Eagles are facing, why would they not roll with him until the money frees up, work the draft a few years and rebuild.  It's clearly a rebuild not a reload.  Imo

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

A reminder that Hurts put up better numbers at Oklahoma than the previous 2 Heisman winners.  Murray has super elite speed and was a 1st round MLB draft pick so he clearly has a gun.  Mayfield has become an effective game manager.  I see no reason why Hurts can't become as effective if he is surrounded by talent.  It's not fair to say well Wentz was garbage because he didn't have all his receivers, tight ends, o line and running back but Hurts was supposed to come in and save the team by himself with the same fractured roster?

Hurts has to be cheap right now and with that salary cap Eagles are facing, why would they not roll with him until the money frees up, work the draft a few years and rebuild.  It's clearly a rebuild not a reload.  Imo

Where does Sam Bradford fit into all this mumbo jumbo?

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I heard the Colts called the Raiders about Carr and was told they are not trading him.