2023 NFL Discussion

rico

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Being almost $70M under the cap I expect Ballard to go after multiple guys in free agency. Positioned perfectly to spend while almost 85% of the league is trying to shred salaries. Golladay, Ertz, Hunter Henry...I expect them to make runs at guys like Bud Dupree as well as tackles that are available. 

That's a good looking list if you are a Colts fan

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Being almost $70M under the cap I expect Ballard to go after multiple guys in free agency. Positioned perfectly to spend while almost 85% of the league is trying to shred salaries. Golladay, Ertz, Hunter Henry...I expect them to make runs at guys like Bud Dupree as well as tackles that are available. 

After the Wentz trade goes through Colts will have approx. $47 mil.  THey have money but a good chunk of holes that need filled.  They also need to make sure Wentz has plenty of solid good pass catchers to throw to.  

DE/Pass Rusher - Bud Dupree/Carl Lawson(Bengals)/Romeo Okwara(Lions)/Hassan Reddick(Cardinals).  All of these guys had great years last year(Dupree is coming off an ACL injury I believe). You probably get best value if they choose Romeo Okwara or Reddick compared to Dupree or Car.  I expect one of the top pass rusher to be signed by the horseshoe.  I wouldn't rule out bringing back Autry or AQM.  Autry can plan along the entire DL line and AQM would provide great depth as a rotational pass rusher.    A defensive line of say Buckner/Grover/top FA pass rusher/Turray/Autry or AQM/Tyquan Lewis and Stallworth offers loads of depth and can pressure the QB as well as stopping the run.  Ballard wants to win from within the trenches and he does that with this unit.  

WR - Kenny Golladay will get ton of money, probably will price his way out of Ballards liking.  WIth that being said you could resign Hilton and sign say Keelan Cole(Jags) or Chris Conley(Jags) or sign Corey Davis(Titans) and sign Keelan Cole or Chris Conley.  Conley was with Ballard in KC together at one point.  I love a Hilton/Pittman/Parris/Keelan Cole or Conley and Pascal.  Pascal is due to return and is a great 5th WR to have here before the four listed ahead of him.  

CB - You HAVE to have a starting caliber veteran besides Kenny Moore at this spot.  Resign Rhodes or sign Shaquill Griffen(Sehawks).  This is a make or break year for Rock Ya-Sin.  

TE - Give me Ertz on a team friendly deal, otherwise give me J Smith from Titans.

Draft - LT/CB with their first two picks.  IMO you can't afford to pay a LT $16 mil especially with both Nelson and Braden Smith due for pay raises next year and Kelly already being the highest paid C in the league.  You could slide Braden Smith to LT, draft a RT in the 2nd rd and nab a top CB with your first pick or even sign a RT via FA and draft a Edge rusher and CB with their first two picks.  Lots of diff ways this team can go.  

Edited by dwtaylor1055
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

After the Wentz trade goes through Colts will have approx. $47 mil.  THey have money but a good chunk of holes that need filled.  They also need to make sure Wentz has plenty of solid good pass catchers to throw to.  

DE/Pass Rusher - Bud Dupree/Carl Lawson(Bengals)/Romeo Okwara(Lions)/Hassan Reddick(Cardinals).  All of these guys had great years last year(Dupree is coming off an ACL injury I believe). You probably get best value if they choose Romeo Okwara or Reddick compared to Dupree or Car.  I expect one of the top pass rusher to be signed by the horseshoe.  I wouldn't rule out bringing back Autry or AQM.  Autry can plan along the entire DL line and AQM would provide great depth as a rotational pass rusher.    A defensive line of say Buckner/Grover/top FA pass rusher/Turray/Autry or AQM/Tyquan Lewis and Stallworth offers loads of depth and can pressure the QB as well as stopping the run.  Ballard wants to win from within the trenches.  

WR - Kenny Golladay will get ton of money, probably will price his way out of Ballards liking.  WIth that being said you could resign Hilton and sign say Keelan Cole(Jags) or Chris Conley(Jags) or sign Corey Davis(Titans) and sign Keelan Cole or Chris Conley.  Conley was with Ballard in KC together at one point.  I love a Hilton/Pittman/Parris/Keelan Cole or Conley and Pascal.  Pascal is due to return and is a great 5th WR to have here before the four listed ahead of him.  

CB - You HAVE to have a starting caliber veteran besides Kenny Moore at this spot.  Resign Rhodes or sign Shaquill Griffen(Sehawks).  This is a make or break year for Rock Ya-Sin.  

TE - Give me Ertz on a team friendly deal, otherwise give me J Smith from Titans.

Draft - LT/CB with their first two picks.  IMO you can't afford to pay a LT $16 mil especially with both Nelson and Braden Smith due for pay raises next year and Kelly already being the highest paid C in the league.  You could slide Braden Smith to LT, draft a RT in the 2nd rd and nab a top CB with your first pick or even sign a RT via FA and draft a Edge rusher and CB with their first two picks.  Lots of diff ways this team can go.  

Really well done and thought out plan. My only thing is If I were a Colts fan I'd prefer to see Ballard spend just once at the WR position. Seems like between WR and CB he never spends on those positions. At least it seems like that. Could be dead wrong. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Really well done and thought out plan. My only thing is If I were a Colts fan I'd prefer to see Ballard spend just once at the WR position. Seems like between WR and CB he never spends on those positions. At least it seems like that. Could be dead wrong. 

agree.  With Godwin and Allen Robinson getting tagged it hurt the Colts IMO cause now you move the rest of the free agent wrs up as there are less of them available.

Cap is confirmed to be $182.5 mil this year.  Lots of 1 or 2 year deals will probably occur due to such a low cap.  We think this current free agent class is about to be crazy just wait till next year when the cap returns close to $200 mil or more.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

agree.  With Godwin and Allen Robinson getting tagged it hurt the Colts IMO cause now you move the rest of the free agent wrs up as there are less of them available.

Cap is confirmed to be $182.5 mil this year.  Lots of 1 or 2 year deals will probably occur due to such a low cap.  We think this current free agent class is about to be crazy just wait till next year when the cap returns close to $200 mil or more.   

was gonna come on here and say the exact same thing about salaries ratcheting up with the recent tags. 

One guy you haven't mentioned who I think would make a younger replacement for TY is Will Fuller, Jr. Has had some injury issues, but when healthy has been highly productive.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

was gonna come on here and say the exact same thing about salaries ratcheting up with the recent tags. 

One guy you haven't mentioned who I think would make a younger replacement for TY is Will Fuller, Jr. Has had some injury issues, but when healthy has been highly productive.

I like Will Fuller, but I believe he plays same position at WR as Pittman Jr

Edited by dwtaylor1055

5 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I think Will Fuller will end up wherever Watson ends up. 

16 hours ago, btownqb said:

What? 

Split end(X), Flanker(Z) or Slot(Y).  Sorry should have clarified better.  Pittman would be the X receiver as Hilton was the Z receiver(WR1) last year.  Fuller is a split end type of WR.  Now unless they(The Colts) believe he could be the Z receiver that Hilton was or they believe Pittman will make the leap to the Z receiver.  

12 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Split end(X), Flanker(Z) or Slot(Y).  Sorry should have clarified better.  Pittman would be the X receiver as Hilton was the Z receiver(WR1) last year.  Fuller is a split end type of WR.  Now unless they(The Colts) believe he could be the Z receiver that Hilton was or they believe Pittman will make the leap to the Z receiver.  

Algebra is not allowed here....

• Haha 2

I have a gut feeling Chris Ballard is going to be much more active in free agency this year than he has in the past. I think he'll be targeting a WR #1/#2, Pass Rushers (possibly signs 2), OT depth, CB, and TE. I think he'll be looking to capitalize on the salary cap situations a lot of teams are in and he knows he has to fill those spots and can't fill them all in the draft this year. 

• Like 2

There is no difference. Not comparing Fuller to Pittman there isn't anyway. Fuller is a deep threat... Pittman a crosser, YAC guy. 

I understand how we designate different WRs(X, Y, Z) but Fuller and Pittman compliment each other. If you're saying Fuller is more of "2" and not a "1" ... I would agree. I don't think Pittman will be a "1" either. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There is no difference. Not comparing Fuller to Pittman there isn't anyway. Fuller is a deep threat... Pittman a crosser, YAC guy. 

I understand how we designate different WRs(X, Y, Z) but Fuller and Pittman compliment each other. If you're saying Fuller is more of "2" and not a "1" ... I would agree. I don't think Pittman will be a "1" either. 

Agree 100%.  I think Fuller is more of a "2".  Now if Fuller can string together another season like last year before he got suspended he could be the "1" wr moving forward.  Pittman I think will be a fringe WR1 but moreso a WR2 throughout his career.  With the way Frank loves to incorporate Tight Ends it wouldn't shock me to see us have two WR2s with upside and get a TE1 like Jonnu Smith and utilize his full potential that the Titans didn't.  

• Like 1

Agree 100%.  I think Fuller is more of a "2".  Now if Fuller can string together another season like last year before he got suspended he could be the "1" wr moving forward.  Pittman I think will be a fringe WR1 but moreso a WR2 throughout his career.  With the way Frank loves to incorporate Tight Ends it wouldn't shock me to see us have two WR2s with upside and get a TE1 like Jonnu Smith and utilize his full potential that the Titans didn't.  

I would prefer to have 2 "2s" with our TEs, and RBs. Depth and balance. 

How the Eagles won. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/newly-released-wr-john-brown-150529952.html

For whats its worth mentions an interest in the Colts

He would fill in very nicely and a much cheaper rate the TY.  He can stretch the field.  I'd love if we resigned TY and added John Brown next to Pittman and Parris that's a scrap top four WR group.  John Brown started 15 games or more in 5 of his 7 seasons so last years health was a one off imo.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Chiefs release both offensive tackles Schwartz and Fischer, who were injured and didn't play in the Super Bowl.

Colts need a left tackle. Wonder if either of these guys would be an option.

Sounds like Fischer won't be able to play much next year with the Achilles injury.

16 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Chiefs release both offensive tackles Schwartz and Fischer, who were injured and didn't play in the Super Bowl.

Colts need a left tackle. Wonder if either of these guys would be an option.

Speaking of the Chiefs.  Do they make it to the SB next year?