2023 NFL Discussion

rico

9 minutes ago, B_A said:

Ehlinger surprised me in-person. The media is jumping on him bc he went from 3rd string to splitting 1st team reps 50/50 with Eason on Thursday. Eason has been a disappointment this camp, but can still develop. 

I'm not sure where you get that Eason has been a disappointment this camp, he has looked really good this week. Ehlinger getting first team reps is more about how he has played an nothing to do with how Eason has.

18 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

I'm not sure where you get that Eason has been a disappointment this camp, he has looked really good this week. Ehlinger getting first team reps is more about how he has played an nothing to do with how Eason has.

Just from my eye view. I'm over-critical. Your wording on it is better, I shouldn't have said he was a disappointment. There was 1 specific redzone drill I watched from the end zone view and he struggled. Ehlinger came in and scored 3 straight.

30 minutes ago, B_A said:

Just from my eye view. I'm over-critical. Your wording on it is better, I shouldn't have said he was a disappointment. There was 1 specific redzone drill I watched from the end zone view and he struggled. Ehlinger came in and scored 3 straight.

Yeah and when Ehlinger got his first try at training camp with the starters he struggled and Eason excelled. They are both going to have their ups and downs, but as of right now Eason is the clear #2 behind Wentz. Hopefully if reports are true that Wentz will be ready by the first week or two we won't have to worry about either one of them playing in a meaningful game.

Edited by Hoosier51

2 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

Yeah and when Ehlinger got his first try at training camp with the starters he struggled and Eason excelled. They are both going to have their ups and downs, but as of right now Eason is the clear #2 behind Wentz. Hopefully if reports are true that Wentz will be ready by the first week or two we won't have to worry about either one of them playing in a meaningful game.

To put this into perspective, when 1s go against 1s, our D is a top 2 overall D in the league. I didn't get to see Ehlinger go against the true ones. He did play against the secondary 1s and did well. But that was 7 on 7.

• Like 1

Once the Bears moved Fields out into the open he showed me enough today to feel very good. Elusive, fast, made the throws....I get it's preseason but 14-20 and a TD while getting 33 yards on 5 carries with another TD. 

Not bad at all. Of course I have 35 years worth of history saying any QB we draft doesn't work....but this is the best drafted one I can remember since McMahon.

2 hours ago, B_A said:

To put this into perspective, when 1s go against 1s, our D is a top 2 overall D in the league. I didn't get to see Ehlinger go against the true ones. He did play against the secondary 1s and did well. But that was 7 on 7.

Ehlinger did ok against the current 1s in limited time. Eason has been facing the current 1s the majority of training  camp so he was naturally going to have a little rougher time.

Also Pittman dropped two perfectly thrown TD from Eason.

Although i think Eason has the most potential of the two, they are both pretty solid.

Edited by Hoosier51

12 hours ago, btownqb said:

Whop just open on an out route and Monds missed him for a TD. 

Next play, broken play Whop hauled it in across the middle and was leveled and dropped it. Had it for a split second. 

According to the box, only targeted twice?  The 2 you just mentioned?

23 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

Ehlinger did ok against the current 1s in limited time. Eason has been facing the current 1s the majority of training  camp so he was naturally going to have a little rougher time.

Also Pittman dropped two perfectly thrown TD from Eason.

Although i think Eason has the most potential of the two, they are both pretty solid.

Eason was solid today! My opinion is changed. He brought the juice!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yep. Those can be corrected.. somewhat. Hes not Phillip Walker in that regard, but we also don't want him to be. He had a 98 rating. 

The one saving grace was Carolina settling for FGs.  Eason has to work on feeling the pressure.  

1 hour ago, B_A said:

Eason was solid today! My opinion is changed. He brought the juice!

Eason needs to take a little juice off some throws but overall he looked pretty good. He had three drops from his receivers.

Ehilnger looks pretty good also. If Wentz misses a couple of games i think the Colts are in good hands.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, B_A said:

That was a pretty good assessment. 

I think by the time pre-season is over and Wentz is back that Eason will be the clear number two. And that is nothing against Ehlinger since he has held his own pretty well also.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, B_A said:

I dont love the first heading, but I agree with the write up for sure. 

My first take from the QB play yesterday wouldn't have been "Eason outshines Ehlinger".... mine would have been more like "both QBs show how they can be effective" or something like that. 

Eason showed the arm. Ehlinger had some up and down throwing wise... mostly solid though, but the bottom line is... He had 34 yards rushing in a half, as a QB. Thats big time.  

They play the same position, but their uniqueness is a good thing for us. 

• Like 1