2023 NFL Discussion

rico

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Watched him in college and saw enough that shouldn't even sniffed round 1 and probably should be where Fromm and Eason were drafted this year. So far after 3 seasons in the league he hasn't shown me a thing to change that. The Bears drafted Blake Bortles 2.0 with the 2nd overall pick. Just can't make that mistake.

Maybe but almost every talent evaluator had him as a first rounder. The problem is he hasn’t been developed and wasn’t put in a place to succeed imo. Is some of that on him? Of course it is but not all of it. 

3 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Maybe but almost every talent evaluator had him as a first rounder. The problem is he hasn’t been developed and wasn’t put in a place to succeed imo. Is some of that on him? Of course it is but not all of it. 

John Fox didn't even know his GM was taking him until about 30 minutes before it happened. Maybe I see differently but he missed so many wide open receivers in college....wasn't going to translate. So far it hasn't. Kid needs a reboot somewhere. Bears have until next week to pick up his option for year 5. Doubtful that happens which will signal he's gone. 

• Like 2

Thought this was good. Chicago's Mayor Lightfoot even took time out of her schedule yesterday to comment on Bears. To her point. Nagy had to dummy it down about 80% for MT. Hopefully Foles just gets the gig right away in July so we can actually see Nagy call the plays he wants before I judge him on his ability. 

Mayor Lori Lightfoot is among those who wants to see big improvement in the Bears offense next season. “I’d like to see (coach Matt) Nagy’s play-calling be a little less predictable and pedestrian,” she said Wednesday on NBC Sports Chicago’s telethon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Or Jags?

Probably makes more sense there....but someone is going to end up in New England. Not sure what I think about this part either. Bengals dumped Dalton for nothing. Panthers did same with Newton. Bears gave up 4th for Foles. Granted Foles was Super Bowl winning QB.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Probably makes more sense there....but someone is going to end up in New England. Not sure what I think about this part either. Bengals dumped Dalton for nothing. Panthers did same with Newton. Bears gave up 4th for Foles. Granted Foles was Super Bowl winning QB.

I'm an Eagles fan, and while I love Nick Foles, he gets way too much credit for that Super Bowl run. People forget how good that team was and the year Carson Wentz was having. Through 11 games Wentz was leader in the clubhouse for MVP until he got hurt. Foles was awesome in the Super Bowl, so that obviously get a lot of the pub, but he was pretty bad at the end of the regular season after he took over and in the first playoff game against the Falcons. He then had a two-game magical run in the NFC Title Game and the Super Bowl. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm an Eagles fan, and while I love Nick Foles, he gets way too much credit for that Super Bowl run. People forget how good that team was and the year Carson Wentz was having. Through 11 games Wentz was leader in the clubhouse for MVP until he got hurt. Foles was awesome in the Super Bowl, so that obviously get a lot of the pub, but he was pretty bad at the end of the regular season after he took over and in the first playoff game against the Falcons. He then had a two-game magical run in the NFC Title Game and the Super Bowl. 

Agree and understand. I know I don't forget and assuming you don't either....but he also led Eagles to win 5 of last 6 and road playoff win vs my Bears against a top 3 defense. I've always liked Foles from a distance. Not sure why but he's got that moxy or confidence or whatever. Just thinking those 2 things made him worth a 4th round pick instead of just dumping him like Bengals and Panthers did.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Agree and understand. I know I don't forget and assuming you don't either....but he also led Eagles to win 5 of last 6 and road playoff win vs my Bears against a top 3 defense. I've always liked Foles from a distance. Not sure why but he's got that moxy or confidence or whatever. Just thinking those 2 things made him worth a 4th round pick instead of just dumping him like Bengals and Panthers did.

Yes, that was the following season when Wentz got hurt again. Don't get me wrong, Foles brings a lot of good veteran qualities to an organization and I agree that he's worth a 4th round pick, and I think it was a good move for the Bears. I didn't mean to diminish him, I just also think people get way too carried away with assigning him most of the credit for the Super Bowl run. I know the quarterback is always going to get most of the credit, but that Eagles team was the best in the league that year and also would have won the Super Bowl with Wentz. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yes, that was the following season when Wentz got hurt again. Don't get me wrong, Foles brings a lot of good veteran qualities to an organization and I agree that he's worth a 4th round pick, and I think it was a good move for the Bears. I didn't mean to diminish him, I just also think people get way too carried away with assigning him most of the credit for the Super Bowl run. I know the quarterback is always going to get most of the credit, but that Eagles team was the best in the league that year and also would have won the Super Bowl with Wentz. 

Shewwww.. hard for me to say they were the best. They certainly got hot at the right time and that's what matters, idk if they were the best team though. 

Pretty much why I like NFL, MLB, NCAAT over the NBA playoffs... the first 3 have some craziness to them. NBA is just sooo hard to pull an upset. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Shewwww.. hard for me to say they were the best. They certainly got hot at the right time and that's what matters, idk if they were the best team though. 

Pretty much why I like NFL, MLB, NCAAT over the NBA playoffs... the first 3 have some craziness to them. NBA is just sooo hard to pull an upset. 

If the NBA would have called goaltending like they should have on Lebron two years ago against Vic in the playoffs, we may be talking upset. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Let's put it this way, before Wentz went down they were in the top 3-4 teams that you'd pick to make a run at the Super Bowl that year. When Wentz went down they were 11-2, Wentz was the favorite to win MVP and they had the best run defense and offensive line in the NFL. Sure, at that point you might pick a team with a more experienced QB to win it all, and then when Wentz went down you're not picking a Nick Foles led team to win the Super Bowl, but they were one of the 3-4 best teams in the league that year. 

Other than the QB injury, the were not a team that just got hot in the playoffs. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Let's put it this way, before Wentz went down they were in the top 3-4 teams that you'd pick to make a run at the Super Bowl that year. When Wentz went down they were 11-2, Wentz was the favorite to win MVP and they had the best run defense and offensive line in the NFL. Sure, at that point you might pick a team with a more experienced QB to win it all, and then when Wentz went down you're not picking a Nick Foles led team to win the Super Bowl, but they were one of the 3-4 best teams in the league that year. 

Other than the QB injury, the were not a team that just got hot in the playoffs. 

Thats when I'm saying they got REALLY hot.. when Wentz went down. You're correct they were a top 3-4 team for sure. 

Foles mostly.. just got crazy hot. Threw for 300 yards+ in conference championship and super bowl. 3 TDs in each, as well. 

I had mis remembered how good they were pre injury before I just went and looked. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

Just now, btownqb said:

Thats when I'm saying they got REALLY hot.. when Foles went down. You're correct they were a top 3-4 team for sure. 

I had mis remembered how good they were pre injury before I just went and looked. 

Yeah, it was more like they were one of the best teams in the league with Wentz. Then when Wentz went down it took the offense and coaching staff some time to adjust, and then they returned to form. 

Just now, BGleas said:

Yeah, it was more like they were one of the best teams in the league with Wentz. Then when Wentz went down it took the offense and coaching staff some time to adjust, and then they returned to form. 

I just edited my post again.. Foles was just red hot those last two games. 300 yards plus in each and 3TDs in each. Insane numbers, let alone a back up. 

I was a huge Eagles fan in the SB thats for sure. 

• Like 2

Just now, btownqb said:

I just edited my post again.. Foles was just red hot those last two games. 300 yards plus in each and 3TDs in each. Insane numbers, let alone a back up. 

I was a huge Eagles fan in the SB thats for sure. 

Agree. Don't get me wrong, I like Foles and he was fantastic those last two games. I guess my point is as someone that is an Eagles fan, there's been this media misconception that once Foles stepped in that the Eagles somehow caught magic and went on a wild run. While it's super rare to win a Super Bowl with a backup QB, I get that, but as someone that watched that team closely, they had that "magic" before Wentz went down. Wentz was playing fantastic and you could feel there was something special about that team for weeks. 

As much as the media paints it this way, it was not a case of Foles coming in, getting hot and carrying them on some magical run. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. Don't get me wrong, I like Foles and he was fantastic those last two games. I guess my point is as someone that is an Eagles fan, there's been this media misconception that once Foles stepped in that the Eagles somehow caught magic and went on a wild run. While it's super rare to win a Super Bowl with a backup QB, I get that, but as someone that watched that team closely, they had that "magic" before Wentz went down. Wentz was playing fantastic and you could feel there was something special about that team for weeks. 

As much as the media paints it this way, it was not a case of Foles coming in, getting hot and carrying them on some magical run. 

they had the big time talent to get them in position to host in the playoffs to begin with..  THEN Foles went off. Certainly wasn't all Foles or talent.. coaching was extremely good too. 

• Like 1

Just now, btownqb said:

they had the big time talent to get them in position to host in the playoffs to begin with..  THEN Foles went off. Certainly wasn't all Foles or talent.. coaching was extremely good too. 

Absolutely. Pederson reworked the offense on the fly those last few games of the regular season. They switched to a largely RPO offense to suit Foles skill set and it worked perfectly. Pederson and the coaching staff were phenomenal and honestly deserve much more of the credit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

you guys see that stat on what Ballard turned 3 1st round picks into? 

Turned it into: Nelson, Smith, Buckner, Turay, Wilkins, Pittman, Ya Sin, Tell, and Bangou. 

Absolutely insane. 2 All Pros. 7 starters. 

Yep. The wins are coming.....he's absolutely one of the best. We (Bears) had some of our best success during his time he was in the building. Still trying to figure out why we let him after a decade. My guess is he was smart enough to say I need to get out of this organization.

1 hour ago, rico said:

A couple of reports this morning when I got up.  Dalton to the Cowboys...Bears to decline Mitch's option.

Regarding Dalton. Interesting spot for him. Maybe he just wanted to stay home for a year. Regarding Mitch. Surprising and not surprising. Unless Mitch has some renaissance season or turnaround the sooner he can get a fresh start for himself somewhere else the better.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Regarding Dalton. Interesting spot for him. Maybe he just wanted to stay home for a year. Regarding Mitch. Surprising and not surprising. Unless Mitch has some renaissance season or turnaround the sooner he can get a fresh start for himself somewhere else the better.

Gives the Cowboys a little time on Dak Prescott. Even if Prescott has another impressive year they have another possible year on a franchise tag. Jerry Jones has always bargained to the end.

As for Mitch, it is put up or shut up. The good news is, the Bears have a 1st round pick (as of now) for the first time it seems in forever. The bad news is, they'd have to be in slot 1 or 2 (read suck) to get Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields. 

If there's some funky shortened year though, this may be a good year to suck...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Gives the Cowboys a little time on Dak Prescott. Even if Prescott has another impressive year they have another possible year on a franchise tag. Jerry Jones has always bargained to the end.

As for Mitch, it is put up or shut up. The good news is, the Bears have a 1st round pick (as of now) for the first time it seems in forever. The bad news is, they'd have to be in slot 1 or 2 (read suck) to get Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields. 

If there's some funky shortened year though, this may be a good year to suck...

Yep. We'll see if Jones leverage move to get Dalton backfires or not. 

In terms of the Bears season. Defense will again be top 5 or so. All we need is to be able to score 17 points a game. I think Foles can do that. We'll see what schedules look like when released later this week.

In terms of Lawrence/Fields. I think it's a race between Panthers, Lions, Bengals, Jaguars, Redskins...maybe Chargers too but Panthers gave all that $ to Bridgewater. Bengals took Burrow.  As of today I think Trevor Lawrence will be a Jaguar and Fields will be with Lions.