2023 NFL Discussion

rico

Also.. the NFL has absolutely ruined the definition of a catch. You have the ball secure with both hands and two feet on the ground... thats a catch. Don't care if it's in the field or EZ or sideline, don't care. That's a catch. 

You absolutely do not have to tuck the football or make a football move to consider something a catch. 

Again.. two hands securing the ball and two feet down.. that is the only definition of a catch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Also.. the NFL has absolutely ruined the definition of a catch. You have the ball secure with both hands and two feet on the ground... thats a catch. Don't care if it's in the field or EZ or sideline, don't care. That's a catch. 

You absolutely do not have to tuck the football or make a football move to consider something a catch. 

Again.. two hands securing the ball and two feet down.. that is the only definition of a catch. 

Ex-NFL Ref Mike Pereira of Fox Sports Says Too Much Replay in Football -  InsideHook

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Tell that to Freddy Biletnikoff!

Screenshot_20211018-181005.thumb.png.b079427ded7dec74104692975909576e.png

Cherry on the sundae is, #25 is Tim Foley, a Purdue grad, getting punked by Fred...

Greatest catch I've ever seen...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Tell that to Freddy Biletnikoff!

Screenshot_20211018-181005.thumb.png.b079427ded7dec74104692975909576e.png

Cherry on the sundae is, #25 is Tim Foley, a Purdue grad, getting punked by Fred...

Greatest catch I've ever seen...

Ok... but in the field, right now, he'd have to tuck it, run to the concessions, and finish his taxes for it to be a catch lol

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, dgambill said:

When the eviction notice has run it's course...since he lives there an all from what I gather.

Not sure what the answer will be since they will draft outside the top 10 likely but he just isn't the answer long term. They need to do what the Rams did and swap him but I'm not sure who would take on that salary....32 million a year for that!! As Darnold is showing for Carolina....2nd chances aren't anymore likely to work....best to get a stud in the draft.

The Browns are dealing with a ton of injuries including a shoulder issue with Baker. They won't be moving on unless he is just completely terrible the rest of the year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

In other news Parris Campbell makes a big play on Sunday for the Colts then got hurt and is likely out for the season. 

Ballard has had some rough luck with injuries on his top picks. Hooker flashed talent but couldn't stay on the field...same with Campbell. Just never can tell.

4 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

The Browns are dealing with a ton of injuries including a shoulder issue with Baker. They won't be moving on unless he is just completely terrible the rest of the year. 

Yes they are....but to me that doesn't excuse Mayfield.....in my mind he is very similar to Jared Goff. He can look great when everyone is around him making him better. He does not elevate and cover up weaknesses and make those around him better. Good enough to win you games....not good enough to carry you to wins consistently. I credit LA...they knew Goff wasn't going to be able to take that next step...and they moved on. Perhaps there is a team that would be happy with a couple first rd picks and has a veteran qb they want to move. Seattle may be in that situation. They want to run the ball anyways...maybe trade Russ for Mayfield and get a glut of picks.....Browns go all in??? Russ will get traded next offseason.....that or Carroll is out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yes they are....but to me that doesn't excuse Mayfield.....in my mind he is very similar to Jared Goff. He can look great when everyone is around him making him better. He does not elevate and cover up weaknesses and make those around him better. Good enough to win you games....not good enough to carry you to wins consistently. I credit LA...they knew Goff wasn't going to be able to take that next step...and they moved on. Perhaps there is a team that would be happy with a couple first rd picks and has a veteran qb they want to move. Seattle may be in that situation. They want to run the ball anyways...maybe trade Russ for Mayfield and get a glut of picks.....Browns go all in??? Russ will get traded next offseason.....that or Carroll is out.

I love the Goff comparison.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, rico said:

I love the Goff comparison.  

Yeah...I just see a lot of similarities not necessarily in how they play...but in their ceiling and what they are capable of. On a great team they can absolutely get it done...manage the game. But if your aspirations are the SB...a lot has to go right to overcome their limitations. If you can upgrade you owe it to your team to roll the dice and take a chance with bringing in someone that can step up and make all the throws and plays. I just think your playbook is limited with Mayfield/Goff...and on an avg to below avg team....yikes they are going to suffer. They aren't bad qbs....starting quality obviously....but man when you have built your team to win a division and be in the playoffs...and if qb play isn't a strength...you gotta ask yourself what can you do to upgrade....you might not need a Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes but dang you are going to have a game or two in that playoff run that you will need your qb to make some elite plays and can these guys do it. I just don't think so.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Yeah...I just see a lot of similarities not necessarily in how they play...but in their ceiling and what they are capable of. On a great team they can absolutely get it done...manage the game. But if your aspirations are the SB...a lot has to go right to overcome their limitations. If you can upgrade you owe it to your team to roll the dice and take a chance with bringing in someone that can step up and make all the throws and plays. I just think your playbook is limited with Mayfield/Goff...and on an avg to below avg team....yikes they are going to suffer. They aren't bad qbs....starting quality obviously....but man when you have built your team to win a division and be in the playoffs...and if qb play isn't a strength...you gotta ask yourself what can you do to upgrade....you might not need a Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes but dang you are going to have a game or two in that playoff run that you will need your qb to make some elite plays and can these guys do it. I just don't think so.

Another guy that comes to mind is Trent Dilfer.

The Browns could go after a Matt Ryan as well?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rico said:

Another guy that comes to mind is Trent Dilfer.

The Browns could go after a Matt Ryan as well?

Yeah...I mean he certainly will likely be available as Atlanta has to consider a total rebuild. I'd put Russ at the top of the list given his ability and in his prime. Also come playoff time to have the scramble ability playing in Cleveland in January might be necessary lol.

• Like 1