2023 NFL Discussion

rico

Calling a screen in the 4th quarter of a tie game in the shadow of your own goal line is a firable offense IMO. I have tried hard to support Reich but he is not a very good head coach. 

He keeps saying he is keeping Taylor rested. He will be well rested with the longer off season. There is enough talent to be in 1st place in the AFC south but Frank can't stop trying to outsmart everyone. Give Taylor the ball and you beat the Titans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Calling a screen in the 4th quarter of a tie game in the shadow of your own goal line is a firable offense IMO. I have tried hard to support Reich but he is not a very good head coach. 

He keeps saying he is keeping Taylor rested. He will be well rested with the longer off season. There is enough talent to be in 1st place in the AFC south but Frank can't stop trying to outsmart everyone. Give Taylor the ball and you beat the Titans.

That was truly a bad call...but let's be real....Wentz made two of the worst INT I saw all week yesterday. Also, remember we run a lot of RPO. That is on the qb to make decisions at the line of scrimmage. They even said that there were 5-6 more runs we switched out of or Carson kept it. Now I'm sure there is a point that is on the coach but honestly your QB has to play much smarter...and trust even when the numbers say pass that if you have a special player you don't just check out of the run. Again...just a lot of blame to go around. I think perhaps we are putting too much trust in the QB/Coach duo....maybe Frank needs to realize Carson isn't the qb he coached a few years ago and dial it back to where we wasn't asking him to win us games...and let him game manage.

24 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That was truly a bad call...but let's be real....Wentz made two of the worst INT I saw all week yesterday. Also, remember we run a lot of RPO. That is on the qb to make decisions at the line of scrimmage. They even said that there were 5-6 more runs we switched out of or Carson kept it. Now I'm sure there is a point that is on the coach but honestly your QB has to play much smarter...and trust even when the numbers say pass that if you have a special player you don't just check out of the run. Again...just a lot of blame to go around. I think perhaps we are putting too much trust in the QB/Coach duo....maybe Frank needs to realize Carson isn't the qb he coached a few years ago and dial it back to where we wasn't asking him to win us games...and let him game manage.

I hear what you are saying but the RPO was truly  not an option Reed got beat immediately and the run would have been stopped right there. Wentz looked to throw it at the feet of the RB but he was on the ground and it would have been intentional grounding in the end zone and a safety. They did not have the right package to audible out of it. Should have wasted a TO i guess but that play call is what made it all so bad. If you go back and watch the replay you can see that Wentz did the best thing possible. Cant take the sack, cant get intentional gounding you have to get rid of it and hope for the best. I blame Reich 100% on that call. As bad as the 4th down fake punt against the PAts with Pagano. STUPID STUPID STUPID. 

Wentz was not great by any stretch but Frank is killed this team and will DIE by analytics. 

45 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I hear what you are saying but the RPO was truly  not an option Reed got beat immediately and the run would have been stopped right there. Wentz looked to throw it at the feet of the RB but he was on the ground and it would have been intentional grounding in the end zone and a safety. They did not have the right package to audible out of it. Should have wasted a TO i guess but that play call is what made it all so bad. If you go back and watch the replay you can see that Wentz did the best thing possible. Cant take the sack, cant get intentional gounding you have to get rid of it and hope for the best. I blame Reich 100% on that call. As bad as the 4th down fake punt against the PAts with Pagano. STUPID STUPID STUPID. 

Wentz was not great by any stretch but Frank is killed this team and will DIE by analytics. 

Definitely the Wentz/Reich marriage has not worked well...didn't mean to take it ALL off the coach but both just played terrible. I know you say he didn't have the right package to run the ball but heck just take a delay of game if you have to....you don't lose anything there by doing that lol....a foot...foot and half.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, dgambill said:

Definitely the Wentz/Reich marriage has not worked well...didn't mean to take it ALL off the coach but both just played terrible. I know you say he didn't have the right package to run the ball but heck just take a delay of game if you have to....you don't lose anything there by doing that lol....a foot...foot and half.

For what ever reason Reich believes in the 2 clowns in the booth saying it A STRONG GO!!!! Keep listening to them and that is what Irsay will be saying in a year or two to Frank.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Broncos to trade Von Miller to the Rams for two 2nd day draft picks.

The rich keep getting richer.....

They definitely have mortgaged their future...a lot of money/picks invested...but if you are going to go all in on Stafford and it's working...then by all means DOUBLE DOWN! It's working....and you are going to be terrible in a few years...that's fine...bottom out and rebuild...you aren't in a situation like NE where they can just reload every year when they had Brady. Go for the GOLD....I love it when teams do this as a fan I'd be thrilled.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Reich's play calling has been called into question many times on this board well before Wentz got here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Reich's play calling has been called into question many times on this board well before Wentz got here.

Yeah...it's a common complaint. I haven't necessarily hated it...but was hoping for some synergy with Carson perhaps...and it hasn't happened. Reich imo has been not a detriment to the team...but also not added anything really. I wouldn't be too upset either way if we kept him or he went. I imagine he will get another year to finish out the Carson experiement but I wouldn't invest anymore into the duo or either without exploring options. Basically i'd say he has been MEH....he has had to piece together this qb room for several years and that sucks...but with this being his man but getting off to so many injuries and a brutal opening schedule he hasn't really been awful but not good either. I have no attachment either way...but doubt Irsay will want to make a move.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dgambill said:

What is funny that the pick 6 was the better outcome than getting a safety.  If je got sacked we would have been down 2 and have to kick off.  The chances of getting an on side today is so low that would have been the game

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, dgambill said:

Until yesterday I thought Wentz has played very well this season.

24 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Because they were protecting him by not opening it up and putting too much of the offense on him. We saw what happened when they gAce him the keys to the car.

That is on the HC for having 51 passes compared to 20 rushes.  You have a top 3 running back and only run him 16 times is stupid. He was get over 4 yards a carry and actually had runs of 22 and 30 called back.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

That is on the HC for having 51 passes compared to 20 rushes.  You have a top 3 running back and only run him 16 times is stupid. He was get over 4 yards a carry and actually had runs of 22 and 30 called back.

Maybe take play calling away from the HC?? Is he too involved in what is going on and should just focus on coaching? All things considered he seems to be a good leader/voice in the locker room.

• Like 1

Got to think Denver is in full sell mode....Fuller (CB) a free agent would be a big addition for say a team like TB who are obviously all in or GB. Gordon a veteran running back (with the heir apparent in waiting) would also be a valuable upgrade for a team like Tenn/Bal...and even Teddy who has history in NO and Carolina who both are still in the hunt and have needs. After moving Miller for a 2nd and 3rd gotta think they have to be eying further moves.

Edited by dgambill

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

btw.. those holds were some of the reason we threw it 51 times. As was the last drive of regulation. 

Taylor had plenty of rushes. Hines needs 2-4 more and Mack 2-4 more. Reich's biggest problem Sunday was not punting on 4th and 3 on our third possession. Stuuuuuupid decision. 

Punt.. what if you pin them inside the 5? 

Of course.. if Lewis doesn't fumble... we win anyway. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/1/2021 at 3:19 PM, dgambill said:

How has the marriage not worked well? Wentz has been tremendous. 14TDs 3INTs lol 

He's on pace for 30TDS and 7INTs and he's throwing to Dulin and Pasal. Friggin Cowboys are so loaded they can throw fro 300yards with their backup QB in. 3rd highest rating of his career so far. 

We desperately needed Parris and TY to be healthy. It's a very average WR crew with them healthy... without it, not sure why Wentz is getting much flack at all. 

He's basically only made one poor decision in a game this year.... and that is a position he NEVERRRRRR should have been in on Sunday in OT. Zero chance the Colts should have allowed that game in OT. That's not a QB problem. 

• Like 1