2023 NFL Discussion

rico

I'm literally astonished by this Wentz stuff lol absolutely fascinating to me that the dude can dominate for 3 weeks straight.. struggles a little bit one game (again with a JV squad at WR).... and all of sudden he sucks? lol 

Tom Brady throws to Godwin, Evans, AB, Gronk, OJ Howard, Fournette... 

Look at the Cowboys roster. lol I could QB that team. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

How has the marriage not worked well? Wentz has been tremendous. 14TDs 3INTs lol 

He's on pace for 30TDS and 7INTs and he's throwing to Dulin and Pasal. Friggin Cowboys are so loaded they can throw fro 300yards with their backup QB in. 3rd highest rating of his career so far. 

We desperately needed Parris and TY to be healthy. It's a very average WR crew with them healthy... without it, not sure why Wentz is getting much flack at all. 

He's basically only made one poor decision in a game this year.... and that is a position he NEVERRRRRR should have been in on Sunday in OT. Zero chance the Colts should have allowed that game in OT. That's not a QB problem. 

Totally agree......That game was ours to win. For the most part we outplayed the Titans. Regretful 4th and 3 call that should have been punted and the carless turnover/pick 6  in OT. Straighten a few things out, get some players back healthy then we aren't talking about "walking papers" and Wentz few INT's. 

• Like 2

On 11/1/2021 at 3:19 PM, dgambill said:

Definitely the Wentz/Reich marriage has not worked well...didn't mean to take it ALL off the coach but both just played terrible. I know you say he didn't have the right package to run the ball but heck just take a delay of game if you have to....you don't lose anything there by doing that lol....a foot...foot and half.

Wentz had a bad end to the game, all QB have at one time or the other, but i am not sure where people are getting that the Wentz/Reich duo hasn't worked well. He has been everything they wanted and more. He was down to three WRs and one was Ashton Dulin lol. He isn't even close to being one of the Colts problems. 14tds and 3 int while playing part of the season on injured ankles is pretty good in my opinion.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, dgambill said:

Because they were protecting him by not opening it up and putting too much of the offense on him. We saw what happened when they gAce him the keys to the car.

Coming ito the game they were like 1st in the league at 40yd plays or more so i am not sure they were protecting him that much lol.

28 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Terrible and completely avoidable tragedy. 

Yes...this sort of stuff is awful. I'm not sure what is the right thing....is it to send him to prison....or perhaps let him play football and have half his salary to be paid to the family in civil charges....not sure...obviously not done on purpose but my God it just saddens me a family wakes up without a mother/daughter/sister etc. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yes...this sort of stuff is awful. I'm not sure what is the right thing....is it to send him to prison....or perhaps let him play football and have half his salary to be paid to the family in civil charges....not sure...obviously not done on purpose but my God it just saddens me a family wakes up without a mother/daughter/sister etc. 

And this guy had an opportunity to change his family situation for generations.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm literally astonished by this Wentz stuff lol absolutely fascinating to me that the dude can dominate for 3 weeks straight.. struggles a little bit one game (again with a JV squad at WR).... and all of sudden he sucks? lol 

Tom Brady throws to Godwin, Evans, AB, Gronk, OJ Howard, Fournette... 

Look at the Cowboys roster. lol I could QB that team. 

I can't fault Wentz much that's for sure. Bad game yesterday and poor play calling other than that I feel he has surpassed what I expected this year. Given how little he was with the team I expect a big year next year and the Colts better get some WR help

• Like 1

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

I can't fault Wentz much that's for sure. Bad game yesterday and poor play calling other than that I feel he has surpassed what I expected this year. Given how little he was with the team I expect a big year next year and the Colts better get some WR help

Agree.  At least two throws interior OL were pushed back in his face and led to over throws. 

Then the goal line debacle. Then the drops. Why tf Pascal tried to catch that ball at his belly button in OT rather than go get it... I'll never know.  Blatant missed PI on that play, that would have been even more noticeable if Pascal goes for the ball.  

But idk man... I didn't come away from that game overly upset with Wentz. 

I also don't really buy into "can't make that mistake in that situation" type talk. Like Carson can't make that throw any time... the S didn't bite. Either that ball goes deep to Pascal or its checked down.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, btownqb said:

How has the marriage not worked well? Wentz has been tremendous. 14TDs 3INTs lol 

He's on pace for 30TDS and 7INTs and he's throwing to Dulin and Pasal. Friggin Cowboys are so loaded they can throw fro 300yards with their backup QB in. 3rd highest rating of his career so far. 

We desperately needed Parris and TY to be healthy. It's a very average WR crew with them healthy... without it, not sure why Wentz is getting much flack at all. 

He's basically only made one poor decision in a game this year.... and that is a position he NEVERRRRRR should have been in on Sunday in OT. Zero chance the Colts should have allowed that game in OT. That's not a QB problem. 

My point isn't exactly that Carson Wentz is the worst qb in the league....but he hasn't been great either. Also that isn't the only terrible play....but let's not ignore that pick 6...just throw it in the ground at the TE or RB's feet...that's awful. I'm not going into every bad play but he easily could have had several more picks this year. The law of avgs will show up...we see that with Mahomes who is paying for all his bad decision making over the past couple years.

They've played it safe with him most of the season.....and when they've asked for him to make plays or carry a bigger share of the load its been a mixed bag to be nice. I don't expect Brady stats....but come on....in 2021 NFL passing league with 17 games your qb is only going to get you 30?? Sure a lot can be said to be on the his weapons and team but man we gave up a first rd pick and a 3rd to get the guy who was going to lead us into the future. I never said he is awful just both he and Reich had a terrible game. The OT is kind of case in point. Doesn't matter if they should have won in regulation etc etc...the point being the more we ask him to do (which is reasonable) the worse he looks. I guess I had high standards for this season....maybe that is why him and the team being very mediocre is a let down. There is no doubt we keep both through next year...so maybe they make adjustments and turn it around....but mediocre isn't really impressive or worth the price we will have paid. 

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

My point isn't exactly that Carson Wentz is the worst qb in the league....but he hasn't been great either. Also that isn't the only terrible play....but let's not ignore that pick 6...just throw it in the ground at the TE or RB's feet...that's awful. I'm not going into every bad play but he easily could have had several more picks this year. The law of avgs will show up...we see that with Mahomes who is paying for all his bad decision making over the past couple years.

They've played it safe with him most of the season.....and when they've asked for him to make plays or carry a bigger share of the load its been a mixed bag to be nice. I don't expect Brady stats....but come on....in 2021 NFL passing league with 17 games your qb is only going to get you 30?? Sure a lot can be said to be on the his weapons and team but man we gave up a first rd pick and a 3rd to get the guy who was going to lead us into the future. I never said he is awful just both he and Reich had a terrible game. The OT is kind of case in point. Doesn't matter if they should have won in regulation etc etc...the point being the more we ask him to do (which is reasonable) the worse he looks. I guess I had high standards for this season....maybe that is why him and the team being very mediocre is a let down. There is no doubt we keep both through next year...so maybe they make adjustments and turn it around....but mediocre isn't really impressive or worth the price we will have paid. 

Sorry dgambill but i can't agree with anything you are saying on Wentz lol. Has he been Manning or Brady, well no but he has been really good so far for a guy that missed training camp, has had two injured ankles, numerous injuries on the o-line and really only one competent WR in Pittman for most of the season. 👍

• Like 2

Just now, Hoosier51 said:

Sorry dgambill but i can't agree with anything you are saying on Wentz lol. Has he been Manning or Brady, well no but he has been really good so far for a guy that missed training camp, has had two injured ankles, numerous injuries on the o-line and really only one competent WR in Pittman for most of the season. 👍

Has he been an upgrade over what Philip Rivers gave us last year?? I'd say about the same. He is on pace for a couple more td's, about the same completion percentage, and a couple less ints, while fewer yds. We have basically the same wrs we had as last year....much the same offensive talent. Weren't we sold on this being an upgrade....a fix for our qb room long term....made a serious investment for (1st and 3rd round pick). If you say yeah...a small upgrade...then to me you have made my point. He has been solid...but that isn't great nor bad.....just solid. That isn't good enough imo for what we are investing in him and what our expectations were for this marriage. That was my simple point. Much rather have him then a dozen other qbs....but do we feel like we have the definitive answer to our QB search? Maybe my expectations are too high...but I don't think I'm crazy in saying it hasn't exactly gone how the Colts and the fans would hope.

1 minute ago, Hoosier51 said:

I wonder what the Texans will do with Watson for the rest of the season since it looks like no one is interested in trading for him right now. I can't see them playing him so maybe tell him to stay home for the rest of the year?

Yes....exactly what they've been doing. If he would settle his cases with the accusers then I suppose he would have had a chance to play this year but doesn't sound like that is happening so this will go into the offseason.

• Like 1

Just now, dgambill said:

Has he been an upgrade over what Philip Rivers gave us last year?? I'd say about the same. He is on pace for a couple more td's, about the same completion percentage, and a couple less ints, while fewer yds. We have basically the same wrs we had as last year....much the same offensive talent. Weren't we sold on this being an upgrade....a fix for our qb room long term....made a serious investment for (1st and 3rd round pick). If you say yeah...a small upgrade...then to me you have made my point. He has been solid...but that isn't great nor bad.....just solid. That isn't good enough imo for what we are investing in him and what our expectations were for this marriage. That was my simple point. Much rather have him then a dozen other qbs....but do we feel like we have the definitive answer to our QB search? Maybe my expectations are too high...but I don't think I'm crazy in saying it hasn't exactly gone how the Colts and the fans would hope.

With all the circumstances that he has had this year i think it is to early to make a judgement on him. This is my own  personal opinion which doesn't mean much, but i think he is the Colts QB of the future and i think Colts fans will be extremly happy with him when all is said and done. 

• Like 2

Just now, Hoosier51 said:

With all the circumstances that he has had this year i think it is to early to make a judgement on him. This is my own  personal opinion which doesn't mean much, but i think he is the Colts QB of the future and i think Colts fans will be extremly happy with him when all is said and done. 

I hope so...I hope he finishes strong. The issue is there are always personnel issues, health issues it's football. Everyone plays with injuries and everyone has people out. I think Carson is kind of like Andrew Luck...tries to make plays he has no business making...but he isn't quite as talented. He has a year and half to make his mark...so far to base it off what we've seen I'm not locking him up long term....he has a lot more to prove to me. I mean thank God we aren't starting Brissett...like a couple years ago...but I just see Wentz as a placeholder until we give in and draft a true long term qb.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yes....exactly what they've been doing. If he would settle his cases with the accusers then I suppose he would have had a chance to play this year but doesn't sound like that is happening so this will go into the offseason.

The biggest difference between he and Rivers is the deep ball threat. Buffalo had no fear that Rivers coukd beat them on that last possession in the playoffs. Wentz showed he get score in less than a minute Sunday

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

The biggest difference between he and Rivers is the deep ball threat. Buffalo had no fear that Rivers coukd beat them on that last possession in the playoffs. Wentz showed he get score in less than a minute Sunday

He definitely has a much better arm...well his right arm...left arm not sure!! lol

That said that jump ball into quadruple coverage is not exactly repeatable. That could easily been pick 3 if not for a Randy Moss type play by Pittman.

• Like 1

Ok guys...I'm done with Carson Wentz thing....I want him to be successful..I'm a Colts fan after all. Consider me very cautiously optimistic....very cautiously....but I don't want rag on him because he isn't bad....just not sure he is going to be the answer either. I'm sure there are other things to discuss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I can't fault Wentz one bit.  Personally I am quite impressed with his play.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Your entire first paragraph is wrong 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Ok guys...I'm done with Carson Wentz thing....I want him to be successful..I'm a Colts fan after all. Consider me very cautiously optimistic....very cautiously....but I don't want rag on him because he isn't bad....just not sure he is going to be the answer either. I'm sure there are other things to discuss.

If he hasn't proven he's the guy.. shew.  Currently he's the 12th QB in the league... better than Burrow, Carr, Tannehill.