2023 NFL Discussion

rico

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

You know what's worse than giving up a 1st and a 3rd for a year of Carson Wentz? Giving up a 1st and a 3rd for a year of Carson Wentz, and then doubling down on something that isn't working. 

I think if we run things back yet again with the same holes as before, including no long-term option at QB, and we don't win the division or make a serious playoff run Ballard will find himself on a very hot seat. He's going into his sixth year, this is his team and his mess. For all there is to like about Ballard and disdain about Ryan Grigson, there is no question who was more successful at this point of their Colts tenure. Ballard needs to make the problems with this roster go away and the easiest way to do that is to go get 'the guy' at quarterback. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

You know what's worse than giving up a 1st and a 3rd for a year of Carson Wentz? Giving up a 1st and a 3rd for a year of Carson Wentz, and then doubling down on something that isn't working. 

I think if we run things back yet again with the same holes as before, including no long-term option at QB, and we don't win the division or make a serious playoff run Ballard will find himself on a very hot seat. He's going into his sixth year, this is his team and his mess. For all there is to like about Ballard and disdain about Ryan Grigson, there is no question who was more successful at this point of their Colts tenure. Ballard needs to make the problems with this roster go away and the easiest way to do that is to go get 'the guy' at quarterback. 

Have you looked at the list of free agent QB's because it is awful.  With no first round it would be hard to trade up for a QB or trade for a proven one.  I don't see many QB's in the draft that looks to be a franchise QB.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Have you looked at the list of free agent QB's because it is awful.  With no first round it would be hard to trade up for a QB or trade for a proven one.  I don't see many QB's in the draft that looks to be a franchise QB.

That all may be true, but you don’t know what you can get until you try.

I know that you can’t pay a guy $30m when he’s lost not just the locker room but the entire building. It’s really easy for all y’all to say give him another year because it’s hard to bring in someone else, but you aren’t the ones betting your job on that working out. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

That all may be true, but you don’t know what you can get until you try.

I know that you can’t pay a guy $30m when he’s lost not just the locker room but the entire building. It’s really easy for all y’all to say give him another year because it’s hard to bring in someone else, but you aren’t the ones betting your job on that working out. 

I am not saying give him another year but don't see a great alternative either.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am not saying give him another year but don't see a great alternative either.

So swing for the fences and if you miss and wind up with a worse option you get a better draft pick. 

Kinda seems like bring Wentz back is the best way to remain in QB no man’s land. 

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

So swing for the fences and if you miss and wind up with a worse option you get a better draft pick. 

Kinda seems like bring Wentz back is the best way to remain in QB no man’s land. 

Who would be your swing for the fences.  I don't see Rodgers coming here and doubt we have enough draft assets to get Wilson.  After that not much of of a home run guy out there.

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

If I am a season ticket holder, and I just paid for a season where we lost more home games than we won, I would have to think long and hard about re-upping for next season if there aren’t major changes made 

Pacers are struggling with attendance because they choose to wallow in mediocrity, it would be foolish for the Colts to ignore that. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Who would be your swing for the fences.  I don't see Rodgers coming here and doubt we have enough draft assets to get Wilson.  After that not much of of a home run guy out there.

You named the first two I’d go after. If one of them wants out a deal can be done and if you miss on those two and Ryan, then you just sign someone who’s available and draft a QB the next year. 

The only way keeping Wentz makes more sense than that is if you actually think he is going to be the guy long term. I personally find the idea of him being the guy long term to be laughable, but that’s the bet you’re making if you keep him. 

• Like 1