2023 NFL Discussion

rico

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

I didn’t think the play call was the best percentage chance.   They saw a way to get easy yardage but the math was too tight on the clock. 

At the point they were they should have took multiple shots at the end zone in my opinion. 10 yards and running the clock down to one play left made really no sense.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

At the point they were they should have took multiple shots at the end zone in my opinion. 10 yards and running the clock down to one play left made really no sense.

Exactly.  If they had three more seconds, or if Dak pulled up three yards earlier and gave the ball to the ump, it might have worked.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I didn’t think the play call was the best percentage chance.   They saw a way to get easy yardage but the math was too tight on the clock. 

Right. When he first started running I thought they had some trick play called, or at least something clever up their sleeve. Then when he slid, I was thinking to myself there was no way he was getting another play off. I thought the old rule of thumb was to expect approximately 10 seconds to run off clock between when you are down and get another play off.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Exactly.  If they had three more seconds, or if Dak pulled up three yards earlier and gave the ball to the ump, it might have worked.  

Might have worked to get one shot at the end zone from what the 20? As it stood they  could have had multiple shots from the 35. I just don’t see the advantage. The extra 15 yards gets you closer but it actually shrinks the field for the prevent defense. Maybe to get from 25 to 10 I get it but where they were personally I’d like to have multiple throws at the end zone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

$72M tied up in Dak, Zeke, and Cooper....and Cowboys are projected $12M over the cap already. Something tells me that's the last time those 3 will be on the field together. 

Zeke is due $10 million for next year. He wasn't even their best running back. Time to move on, or he needs to take a pay cut.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Zeke is due $10 million for next year. He wasn't even their best running back. Time to move on, or he needs to take a pay cut.

Yep. I've been a Pollard fan for a couple years and he was clearly more explosive this year. Figuring out that contract and disposing of Zeke should be first step. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. I've been a Pollard fan for a couple years and he was clearly more explosive this year. Figuring out that contract and disposing of Zeke should be first step. 

Zeke did not have the speed to outrun the 49er's defense. He's more of a power back. Glad the Cowboys didn't do it, but Pollard should have had the majority of touches in the game yesterday.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I've never really paid attention, but I would assume the ref spots the ball before every play and you just can't run a play without that happening. Is that correct?

The rule is the ref has to touch the ball.  99.99999% of the time this requires spotting.  But, technically he just has to touch.

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think the Cowboys were smart to try and pick up more yards; you’ve got a much more open playbook and ability to call a real play from near the 25 than you do near the 40. But that was probably not the right play to run. Run something that can get out of bounds inside the 30. 

Typical McCarthy coaching. He blew so many chances in Green Bay with his undisciplined, unprepared coaching. So glad he is a loser in Dallas. How about them Cowboys? 

The current rule is pretty flawed. What other sport has the most crucial play(s) determined by the speed at which a ref does his job? Why not have the clock stop after every play (maybe only in the last 2 to 5 minutes)and have a set time run off the clock if the previous play results in a live clock.

I have a hard time feeling bad for the Cowboys, they could have done so many things differently to get that extra half second they needed, but the ref being 1 or even 2 seconds faster would still be in the range of normal (1 to 2 seconds slower would have been, too). Why not standardize it so the ref has time to do his job and the outcome of a game isn't determined by how quickly a ref can sneak through an offensive line.