2023 NFL Discussion

rico

Going to take a few to digest this game. No way in hell Payton should kick there....and Bears go run on 2nd and 3 and short pass on 3rd and 4. I know these coaches know the game more than anyone but good God that was some bad coaching down the stretch. The fact the Bears had a chance to win should say anything about Brees/Saints minus Thomas and my Bears....well....play calling continues to be a ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Going to take a few to digest this game. No way in hell Payton should kick there....and Bears go run on 2nd and 3 and short pass on 3rd and 4. I know these coaches know the game more than anyone but good God that was some bad coaching down the stretch. The fact the Bears had a chance to win should say anything about Brees/Saints minus Thomas and my Bears....well....play calling continues to be a ?

I couldn't believe Payton kicked the FG on 1st down especially after the delay of game.  Why not run the clock down and then kick it.  If you miss then the Bears would have no time to go score.  It seems like coaches are affraid to tsake chances on offense and take chances.  I notice with both teams if you get behind the chains and have 2nd or 3rd and long you mainly see a lot of check down passes.

• Like 1

Just now, IU Scott said:

I couldn't believe Payton kicked the FG on 1st down especially after the delay of game.  Why not run the clock down and then kick it.  If you miss then the Bears would have no time to go score.  It seems like coaches are affraid to tsake chances on offense and take chances.  I notice with both teams if you get behind the chains and have 2nd or 3rd and long you mainly see a lot of check down passes.

Even in defeat I'm still trying to figure out what Payton was doing there.

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I wonder how many times in a game that passes travel over 20 yards in the air in the NFL.  At one time Brees was 27-40 for 266.  To me that is not that many yards while throwing 40 times

He's averaged 5.6 yards of air time this year. All dump downs because of Thomas being out. 

Patriots have now lost 4 in a row and have only scored 3 touchdowns in that span. They picked up a first down in the red zone with less than a minute to go today against the Bills, trailing by 3, and Newton fumbled. Wondering if that experiment lasts beyond this year. 

The Bills might be one of the weakest 6-2 teams I've seen. They've given up more points than they've scored, and last week they failed to score a touchdown against the winless Jets. 

24 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Ugh. The Cowboys have given up the most points through 7 games of any team since 1970 and have given up 20+ in the first half of 6 straight games. 

The Eagles have 7 points at halftime. 

This is a brutal game to watch.  Wentz is a turnover machine and don't value the ball enough.

It's not as simple as just saying Nagy stinks or whatever....especially with an offensive line that is so awful. I'm really trying to understand a few decisions though yesterday. Up 13-3 with a couple minutes before half....Bears have the ball at midfield and driving. Couple of poor pass plays and WE called a timeout later....Saints get the ball with 90 seconds or so left in half and change momentum with a TD. Quick note. Bears were going to receive ball to start 2nd half. No matter what happened during this sequence....at the very least Saints get ball with little to no time left.

Another sequence at end of game. Bears down 3. Driving at the 50 again with under a minute to go and he calls an inside handoff and short hitch route to net 1 yard....just mind boggling the decisions that are being made on the sidelines.

Now it's one giant chicken or the egg contest. Nagy, line, Foles, Mitch, Pace.....

• Like 1

I'll add this as well. Look at the Colts. I think most can agree their skill position players aren't necessarily headed to Canton anytime soon. But because the Colts control the line and they have a coach who makes adjustments...they move the ball efficiently and score.

I mean 11 different players caught a pass yesterday. That means either by coach or qb or both...they had enough time to check progressions and find the open guy. 

11 hours ago, BGleas said:

Ugh. The Cowboys have given up the most points through 7 games of any team since 1970 and have given up 20+ in the first half of 6 straight games. 

The Eagles have 7 points at halftime. 

Missed the game...was too busy watching Star Trek.  

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, rico said:

I really don't know what to say about the Bears that hasn't been touched upon already.  But Nagy better figure something out.

Burrow and Burt Reynolds put up 30+ vs Titans yesterday and left some on the table. Can't wait until next Monday to explain why we could only score 17.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Burrow and Burt Reynolds put up 30+ vs Titans yesterday and left some on the table. Can't wait until next Monday to explain why we could only score 17.

Don't worry.  You guys will shock the Titan's by Mitch coming into the game to run Nagy's version of the "Wildcat" formation.  It will catch off like wild fire and the sports media will dub it the "Bearcat" formation.....growl.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am a big Cowherd fan when it comes to his takes on the NFL.

From today:

Darnold would look good in a Colts uni.

Jets will draft Trevor.

Cowboys should take Fields.

Steelers, Chiefs, Bucs, and Seahawks are the teams that are capable of winning the SB.

Oh, and Garapothrow is not the QB for the Niners.  Thinks they will make a play for Ryan.