2023 NFL Discussion

rico

2 hours ago, rico said:

Missed the game but just saw this per CBS' Cody Benjamin:

Why the Bears lost

Poor coaching. There were other issues, of course, but none bigger than that one. Case in point: Fields had his second straight coming-out party as an NFL QB, but only after enduring pretty lifeless play-calling for a whole half of action, in which Matt Nagy's staff seemed uninterested or incapable of making the rookie comfortable. Nagy's clock management also left something to be desired, but even worse, penalties set them back time and time again, costing them 115 yards, to be exact. Some were bad calls (Jaylon Johnson pass interference, Cassius Marsh taunting), but others (Robert Quinn offsides twice) showcased an apparent lack of discipline. Chicago fought hard, there's no doubt, with Fields and, really, the entire defense coming to play in crunch time, but it's fairly easy to see this team lost because of the decision-makers up top -- the guys who assembled and oversee this roster.

My favorite stupid coaching decision of the night was to kick a 66 yard field goal as time expired that came up probably 10-15 yards short. Santos is no Justin Tucker. There was a 0% chance of that ever being made, why not take the 1% chance on a hail mary.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

Man that taunting penalty was terrible.Then the ref hip checking Marsh lol. Reffing is so bad this season that it has made the NFL hard to watch at times.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed the hip check. He didn't throw the flag during the entire taunting, waits for him to turn, jog back, hip checks him, throws the flag, and then stares at him. He had his hand on the flag the whole time and kept waiting until way after the taunting was over.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed the hip check. He didn't throw the flag during the entire taunting, waits for him to turn, jog back, hip checks him, throws the flag, and then stares at him. He had his hand on the flag the whole time and kept waiting until way after the taunting was over.

The ref should get suspended for that but i doubt anything happens. 

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

What a great culture they have in Vegas with Da Raidas..... sin city chose the correct team. Gruden, Ruggs,  Arnette. 

I don't blame any of this on the city of Las Vegas.  This is just typical thuggery from the Raiders' organization.  Personally, I blame Gruden.  The guy is a poor evaluator of talent and evidently character as well.  The apples don't fall too far from the tree.

8 minutes ago, rico said:

I don't blame any of this on the city of Las Vegas.  This is just typical thuggery from the Raiders' organization.  Personally, I blame Gruden.  The guy is a poor evaluator of talent and evidently character as well.  The apples don't fall too far from the tree.

I was just joking about the sin city part. Just seemed apropos.

• Haha 1

The Athletic's Joe Buscaglia said the Bills offense is getting "the Chiefs treatment," with opposing defenses using the "Cover-2 shell" approach.

In their Week 9 upset win over the Bills, Jacksonville's shoddy defense deployed a Cover-2 shell, "designed to take away long-ball opportunities by keeping each safety deep and anchored to one side of the field, giving ample support to the zone coverage of cornerbacks and linebackers in front of them." The Cover-2 shell forces otherwise high-flying offense to remain patient and take underneath throws rather than downfield shots, as the Bills did throughout 2020 and into 2021. And it can frustrate big-armed quarterbacks like Josh Allen (and Patrick Mahomes) accustomed to aggressive downfield passing. Against Jacksonville on Sunday, "the Bills had no answer other than to take what the Jaguars were ceding with underneath throws," Buscaglia said. Allen finished with 264 yards, no touchdowns, and two picks. If the Bills can't punish opponents with an effective rushing attack when defenses use the Cover-2 shell, their offense will be easily stopped, just as Kanas City's once-great offense has come to a screeching halt this season. Cole Beasley and other short-area pass catchers will retain their fantasy value for as long as Buffalo opponents deploy the Cover-2 shell. Stefon Diggs and Emmanuel Sanders are a different story. The team's Week 9 loss was "a massive signal to the rest of the league that the Bills are flawed offensively and there’s a formula to turn them from extraordinary to inefficient," Buscaglia said. "Until the Bills find those answers on offense, there could be more precarious weeks ahead."

SOURCE: The Athletic

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Bears getting screwed on some calls in the red zone.  NFL officiating has been atrocious this weekend.  

And they just move along after the game. Release a statement to the pool reporters and go about their business. One of the absolute worst officiated games I've ever watched. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

My favorite stupid coaching decision of the night was to kick a 66 yard field goal as time expired that came up probably 10-15 yards short. Santos is no Justin Tucker. There was a 0% chance of that ever being made, why not take the 1% chance on a hail mary.

Especially since the longest field goal in the history of Heinz Field is only 56 yards.  Historically the toughest stadium in the league to kick long FGs.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

While the taunting call was bogus, and the ref was in the wrong, the Bears lost that game last night because they were horrendous for the first 3 quarters of the game 

Yes and no. They were bad for 3 quarters but no because 2 specific calls gave Steelers 6 points....not even mentioning the chip on Watt that kept us from a td.

Both points can be right but you or fans can't just say it was the Bears fault. Last night was historical bad for refs and every talk show in the country is filled today saying I hope a taunting penalty doesn't happen in the playoffs and cost a team a game.

Bears are 3-6 now. We win last night we would be 4-5 and a half game behind Falcons for playoffs. I'm the first one to beat up the Bears. I routinely do it on here but those calls last night changed a season potentially. 

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

And they just move along after the game. Release a statement to the pool reporters and go about their business. One of the absolute worst officiated games I've ever watched. 

Wasn't he the same official that threw that HORRIBLE chop block call at the end of the 3rd quarter that cost the Bears a TD?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

While the taunting call was bogus, and the ref was in the wrong, the Bears lost that game last night because they were horrendous for the first 3 quarters of the game 

They were horrible on that last drive...but honestly that was about the best the Bears have played almost all year honestly....at least in several weeks since their last win when they were running it like 40 times a game. No...they weren't 85 Bears but they certainly had played well enough to win that game....I mean they outplayed Pittsburg in every facet of the game....they just didn't have the home cookin.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Yes that was a stupid call. Honestly if Fields throws left on that quick throw that got batted down the corner was playing 20 yards off they might have got 6-7 yards and made it somewhat a chance....but that ball came no where close. Should have thrown the hail mary...maybe get a PI...or maybe Graham gets it.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yes and no. They were bad for 3 quarters but no because 2 specific calls gave Steelers 6 points....not even mentioning the chip on Watt that kept us from a td.

Both points can be right but you or fans can't just say it was the Bears fault. Last night was historical bad for refs and every talk show in the country is filled today saying I hope a taunting penalty doesn't happen in the playoffs and cost a team a game.

Bears are 3-6 now. We win last night we would be 4-5 and a half game behind Falcons for playoffs. I'm the first one to beat up the Bears. I routinely do it on here but those calls last night changed a season potentially. 

My point being, had they played the first 3/4s of the game with as much energy and urgency as the last quarter, the egregious call very well wouldn’t have mattered 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

The Bears got screwed. Across the boards in all sports I feel officiating is at an all time low

Basketball, consistently, is immensely worse. Those games are so fast paced that we maybe don't notice it as much. Holy god HS basketball is poorly officiated.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Also... just F the Titans and Rams. Titans lose that game on Sunday night and the Colts are fineeeeee in the division hunt. 

I think yes that ship has sailed my friend. Titans have Houston twice, Jax, and Miami left on their schedule. 49ers and Steelers are very beatable...and the Saints are employing a back up qb. I think they may only be an underdog one more game this year.....NE.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I think yes that ship has sailed my friend. Titans have Houston twice, Jax, and Miami left on their schedule. 49ers and Steelers are very beatable...and the Saints are employing a back up qb. I think they may only be an underdog one more game this year.....NE.

We were ok if they lost this past weekend. Somehow losing Henry will catch up to them. 

• Like 1