2023 NFL Discussion

rico

I’ve also seen the idea floated around that Saturday may have been named HC to finish the season to get a hands on look at the players and then he’s going to move into the front office after the season. This isn’t far fetched as several former players have been GM’s without prior experience. This would also mean that Ballard is on his way out the door of course.

8 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I’ve also seen the idea floated around that Saturday may have been named HC to finish the season to get a hands on look at the players and then he’s going to move into the front office after the season. This isn’t far fetched as several former players have been GM’s without prior experience. This would also mean that Ballard is on his way out the door of course.

I don't think there is any question Saturday is going to be someone they look to for an objective opinion, on a number of things. At minimum, I would hope we can figure out the OL by the end of the year. 

46 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Any of the offensive guys could work for me. Sean Payton with total controls would be great, too, but I think that's a pipe dream.

I haven't seen anyone in any NFL circle mention Lane Kiffin returning to the pros, but I'd love that, too. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't think there is any question Saturday is going to be someone they look to for an objective opinion, on a number of things. At minimum, I would hope we can figure out the OL by the end of the year. 

If nothing else he was brought in because he is a leader which is something Reich wasn’t. This team needs leadership and someone who can light a fire under them while helping the OL. MacAfee talked about his leadership in detail on his show yesterday. 

• Like 1

Not far from the bottom fellas..... 😖

27. Indianapolis Colts (3-5-1)

Week 9 ranking: 22rd-arrow.png

Non-QB MVP: DT DeForest Buckner

Buckner has been the Colts' best pass-rusher this season, leading the way for a defense that has excelled, in spite of a dysfunctional offense. Buckner leads the Colts in sacks (five) despite playing on the interior defensive line and being a magnet for double-teams this season. Buckner has freed up the Colts' ends and linebackers to make plays, a big reason Indianapolis ranks second in the NFL in rushing yards allowed per attempt (3.8). -- Stephen Holder

44 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Parks Frazier— Colts’ new play caller.

Never heard of him but willing to give him a chance. Can’t be any worse than what we’ve had thus far this season 

Obviously depends on if JT can go. If I'm the Colts though whether it's JT or Deon Jackson I hand the ball off about 30x and take my chances on a shorter game. Maybe Saturday can wake up the line a bit. 

15 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Parks Frazier— Colts’ new play caller.

Never heard of him but willing to give him a chance. Can’t be any worse than what we’ve had thus far this season 

Well, he's never been a play caller at any level, so yes it could be worse (as hard as that is to imagine). From ESPN:

The Colts have an interim head coach who has never coached above the high school level, and now they have a playcaller who has never previously performed his new role.

The team also considered quarterbacks coach Scott Milanovich as a candidate to call plays, according to a source, before ultimately turning to Frazier. Milanovich had been a playcaller in the Canadian Football League and was the playcaller for the Jacksonville Jaguars while serving as their interim playcaller during the final five weeks of the 2018 season.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Well, he's never been a play caller at any level, so yes it could be worse (as hard as that is to imagine). From ESPN:

The Colts have an interim head coach who has never coached above the high school level, and now they have a playcaller who has never previously performed his new role.

The team also considered quarterbacks coach Scott Milanovich as a candidate to call plays, according to a source, before ultimately turning to Frazier. Milanovich had been a playcaller in the Canadian Football League and was the playcaller for the Jacksonville Jaguars while serving as their interim playcaller during the final five weeks of the 2018 season.

So... ESPN admits there wasn't some just glaringly GREAT option to take the reins play calling wise, thanks ESPN. Appreciate it. 

Don’t know if there’s any validity behind this theory but heard it this morning… Colts are sitting Ryan because there is an injury clause in his contract that if he can’t pass a physical on March 1st, the team will be on the hook for $17 million. With the horrible pass protection this year whoever made the decision to sit him doesn’t want to chance Ryan getting hurt and not passing that physical. Clearly, he’s gone if true 

Edited by Steubenhoosier

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Don’t know if there’s any validity behind this theory but heard it this morning… Colts are sitting Ryan because there is an injury clause in his contract that if he can’t pass a physical on March 1st, the team will be on the hook for $17 million. With the horrible pass protection this year whoever made the decision to sit him doesn’t want to chance Ryan getting hurt and not passing that physical. Clearly, he’s gone if true 

Heard that theory as well

14 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Playing games with contracts is nature of the game that just stinks. Happening to one of our former players right now in Green Bay with Caleb Jones. Everybody up there knows he should be playing but they shifted him to some internal list to lower his prorated salary so that no other team can pick him up. 

12 hours ago, DC2345 said:

After hearing Saturday’s presser today there’s no question he’s got more leadership and fire in him than Reich ever did. He just might be able to get something out of this lifeless bunch. 

I saw those clips and I can say I haven't heard that passion from head coach out on 56th St in a long time. Not sure it will translate to wins but at the very least it's refreshing.