2023 NFL Discussion

rico

16 hours ago, dgambill said:

Honestly I can’t blame them. Do Bears fans even care if they move out of Soldier Field?? As long as they continue to honor the name and somehow do an homage to the original would it matter. They need more seating regardless and upgrades….what does Bears fans?

I love my Bears. I love everything about  Soldier Field and hit's history but Bears gameday is the worst fan experience possible. From tailgating (if you get parking pass) to concessions to even bathrooms....and we haven't even got to the on the field product.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I'm not a Bears fan, but I have been in Chicago a few times on Bears Weekends and/or Monday Nights.  Being downtown when there was a game that day/night was pretty cool.  Yeah, I know they plan on 'building up the area' around the new stadium.  But, it won't be the same.

Downtown sports venues >>>>>>>>>>> than suburban ones.  

Wondering has that changed any in the last few years...safety concerns and dealing with the city itself.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I love my Bears. I love everything about  Soldier Field and hit's history but Bears gameday is the worst fan experience possible. From tailgating (if you get parking pass) to concessions to even bathrooms....and we haven't even got to the on the field product.

I've not been to a Bears game...and I respect the legacy and the nature/memorial of Soldier Field and it looks cool against the Chicago skyline etc...but all I've heard from Bears fans is it's well past outdated (and no renovations could save that) and logistical nightmare, one of the smallest in the NFL etc. I'm unbiased observer...no skin in the game...so I just wondering. If they could build another stadium and some how still honor the past with a bigger better experience who wouldn't be up for it. I also don't know what the area around there has become crime wise etc....but dealing with the city/manicipalities itself I'm sure is a nightmare. Just interested in the convo...not my team and probably still wouldn't go to a game there seeing as I live in Florida...but just curious.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Wondering has that changed any in the last few years...safety concerns and dealing with the city itself.

Before the pandemic, I usually worked in Chicago 10-15 weeks out of the year.  I never really felt unsafe in the downtown business and shopping districts. 

And, I was actually there on election night when Trump was elected.  A lot of demonstrations in the streets, but my co-worker and I went out to dinner and walked around afterward with no fear for our safety.

That said, I was always cognizant to remain in a well-defined grid.  

I think it really hurts fans that travel to Chicago to watch a game.  Before, you could stay in the loop or Michigan Avenue area and be at Soldier Field within 5-10 minutes.  Now, you stay in the same hotels and you are an hour away travel time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Before the pandemic, I usually worked in Chicago 10-15 weeks out of the year.  I never really felt unsafe in the downtown business and shopping districts. 

And, I was actually there on election night when Trump was elected.  A lot of demonstrations in the streets, but my co-worker and I went out to dinner and walked around afterward with no fear for our safety.

I think it really hurts fans that travel to Chicago to watch a game.  Before, you could stay in the loop or Michigan Avenue area and be at Soldier Field within 5-10 minutes.  Now, you stay in the same hotels and you are an hour away travel time.

Yeah people down here in Florida talk about going back to see games etc but most said they have stopped going. Between the bitter cold of late season games, traffic, and places they now only feel comfortable staying they said it's just not worth the flight. Again...I'm talking to only small specific type of fan. They said a lot of the types of places they use to stay at and places they would normally visit during such a trip for food/bars etc they have either closed or it has changed such they don't feel comfortable going back to those old spots. Either way they will have to build a new stadium...it's basically a moot point. For a franchise as large as Chicago's to have the smallest/most outdated stadium in the league let's be real it makes since. Just would come down to where to locate it.

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Never felt unsafe in the city either up until about 8-9 years ago you had to start being more vigilant. Recently it's the wild west over the last 18 months and I'll leave it at that. 

Bottom line is if the team was good none of this stuff would matter....but I'm all in favor of a new stadium, increased $, better fan experience. Shoot the the hour travel time sounds like the wait to get inside the place....or the 25 minutes you have to allow to hit the restroom. 

26 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Never felt unsafe in the city either up until about 8-9 years ago you had to start being more vigilant. Recently it's the wild west over the last 18 months and I'll leave it at that. 

Bottom line is if the team was good none of this stuff would matter....but I'm all in favor of a new stadium, increased $, better fan experience. Shoot the the hour travel time sounds like the wait to get inside the place....or the 25 minutes you have to allow to hit the restroom. 

I'm not saying a new Stadium isn't needed.  It would be nice, though, if they could find a tract of land downtown for it.  What makes Indianapolis a GREAT sports city is that all venues are downtown.  From Banker's Like (or whatever the hell it's called now), to Lucas Oil, to Victory field, they are all right in the heart of the city.  So, visitors not only can enjoy the dining, shopping, and lodging opportunities of the central city, they can walk to the game.  

Edit:  Cincinnati has a nice setup as well with Paul Brown and GABP being right there downtown, and on the riverfront as a bonus.  .  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm not saying a new Stadium isn't needed.  It would be nice, though, if they could find a tract of land downtown for it.  What makes Indianapolis a GREAT sports city is that all venues are downtown.  From Banker's Like (or whatever the hell it's called now), to Lucas Oil, to Victory field, they are all right in the heart of the city.  So, visitors not only can enjoy the dining, shopping, and lodging opportunities of the central city, they can walk to the game.  

Edit:  Cincinnati has a nice setup as well with Paul Brown and GABP being right there downtown, and on the riverfront as a bonus.  .  

Agree all day. There are some spots available actually right near Soldier Field but the biggest hurdle is the Bears want a Sports Betting Lounge and Chicago Park District says no way. I know about a dozen season ticket holders. They all live in burbs with exception of 2....all of them want the same. Better stadium, gameday experience and if it helps Bears make more $ they don't care if the games are played in Yorkville. 

Agree with you on Cincy. They have a very underrated downtown sports vibe. Stadiums right there. Walk down/up Walnut St from hotel and get to ballparks. Piece of cake. 

6 minutes ago, rico said:

If he gets canned, who does Cincy go after?

I'm not familiar enough with any of the hot coordinator names.  But, my hope is it would be a more of a traditionalist (i.e. not some supposedly offensive wizard).  Balanced offensive attack, solid line play on both sides of ball, etc.).

But, knowing the Bengals, they would have Lovie Smith, Bobby Petrino, David Shula, or even Bryan Price on their short list.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm not familiar enough with any of the hot coordinator names.  But, my hope is it would be a more of a traditionalist (i.e. not some supposedly offensive wizard).  Balanced offensive attack, solid line play on both sides of ball, etc.).

But, knowing the Bengals, they would have Lovie Smith, Bobby Petrino, David Shula, or even Bryan Price on their short list.  

Eric Bieniemy?

2 hours ago, rico said:

Eric Bieniemy?

I wonder with Andy Reid's health, age and family issues if Bieniemy is waiting out Reid for the Chiefs job? Reid has been coaching a long time and hasn't indicated a retirement coming, but maybe there have been internal talks? It is interesting that Bieniemy has been the hottest name for a couple of offseasons but hasn't seemed to even interview for a ton of jobs. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I wonder with Andy Reid's health, age and family issues if Bieniemy is waiting out Reid for the Chiefs job? Reid has been coaching a long time and hasn't indicated a retirement coming, but maybe there have been internal talks? It is interesting that Bieniemy has been the hottest name for a couple of offseasons but hasn't seemed to even interview for a ton of jobs. 

Very good points.  Ya know I hadn't thought about it until you just mentioned it.  

• Like 1

Just now, rico said:

Very good points.  Ya know I hadn't thought about it until you just mentioned it.  

I hadn't really thought of it either until Sunday when Reid had to be taken from the stadium to the hospital. Then you think back to the issues with his son during Super Bowl week last season, and the weird fact that Bieniemy didn't seem to really be in the running for a lot of the open jobs last offseason. I believe he maybe interviewed with Houston, maybe one other, but that was about it. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BGleas said:

He's either going to take the USC gig or stick in KC....at least that's what I believe. I think EB is smart enough to not just take a head coaching gig just to take it. Wants a good team with ownership and GM on same page like they have in KC.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

He's either going to take the USC gig or stick in KC....at least that's what I believe. I think EB is smart enough to not just take a head coaching gig just to take it. Wants a good team with ownership and GM on same page like they have in KC.

Agree if we're talking about this offseason, and of course we don't know how he feels at this point about going back to college vs the NFL. They're much different gigs. 

But yes, I think he'd rather wait out Ried or wait for a solid organization to move too, as opposed to taking over teams like Detroit, Houston, Cincinnati, etc.

• Like 1

Just now, BGleas said:

Agree if we're talking about this offseason, and of course we don't know how he feels at this point about going back to college vs the NFL. They're much different gigs. 

But yes, I think he'd rather wait out Ried or wait for a solid organization to move too, as opposed to taking over teams like Detroit, Houston, Cincinnati, etc.

Or my Bears! Haha...although I imagine having Fields at his disposal could make the Bears a tad more appealing but barely. If Bears lose this Sunday Nagy doesn't make it to kickoff of 2nd games.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Or my Bears! Haha...although I imagine having Fields at his disposal could make the Bears a tad more appealing but barely. If Bears lose this Sunday Nagy doesn't make it to kickoff of 2nd games.

Yeah, a shaky organization but with an intriguing QB could be hard to turn down for the shot at a HC gig. 

• Like 1