2023 NFL Discussion

rico

On 11/25/2022 at 7:42 AM, btownqb said:

The NFL continues to struggle to define a catch.  

Hunter Henry got screwed. 

My other issue is PI.  Feels fairly arbitrary.  There is contact on virtually every throw.  Comes down to a judgement call whether the defender impeded the catch.  Every throw it seems like the receiver turns around looking for a flag.   

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

I'm just throwing this out there now. If Brady does in fact retire this year I could see Jimmy G working out very well there but here's my call. Bring Penix Jr home Tampa and draft the kid in later rounds. His numbers and ability are all on par with the usual 1st round suspects but will fall because of injury history. Could be a steal in later rounds.

One other NFL thing I just noticed. Lions get Rams first round pick this year. If Stafford is done that very well could be a top 5 additional pick for a Detroit team that doesn't look that far off.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm just throwing this out there now. If Brady does in fact retire this year I could see Jimmy G working out very well there but here's my call. Bring Penix Jr home Tampa and draft the kid in later rounds. His numbers and ability are all on par with the usual 1st round suspects but will fall because of injury history. Could be a steal in later rounds.

One other NFL thing I just noticed. Lions get Rams first round pick this year. If Stafford is done that very well could be a top 5 additional pick for a Detroit team that doesn't look that far off.

What if Jimmy G wins a Super Bowl this year?

I have been laughing at Detroit for so many years that I won't know what to do if I have to take them seriously.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

The Niners are my pick to win it right now.  It's going to take a special performance from an opposing QB to beat them.  That QB does not exist in the NFC.  Mahomes, Allen, Lamar, and Burrow could potentially have that type of game among the AFC contenders.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rico said:

I have been laughing at Detroit for so many years that I won't know what to do if I have to take them seriously.

He's gone. I truly think that bridge has been burned so bad he took the less $ just to make sure he can't be tagged, no trade clause,etc....he controls his fate.

20 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Jags and Chargers both converted 2pt tries with essentially no time on the clock to win yesterday. 

Wasnt it last year we had ppl on here blast Harbaugh for doing that? 

I thought of some on this board last night while watching the Eagles game too. 

The Eagles were up 13-7 in the 1st quarter and went for it on 4th and 1 on their own 40 and didnt get it. GB scored with the short field to tie the game. 

Had absolutely no problem with the call and was actually saying they should go for it while they were deciding. 

54 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Jags and Chargers both converted 2pt tries with essentially no time on the clock to win yesterday. 

Wasnt it last year we had ppl on here blast Harbaugh for doing that? 

This article is 2 years old but still on point. https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-2-point-conversion-success-rate/14xqvso7ght731i836opc1oxgz

Kudos to the Jags and Chargers yesterday. Especially Chargers. They are a franchise that I keep waiting to get over the hump and every year 9-8 or 8-9. I know injuries but I thought this years team was poised to take next step.

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I thought of some on this board last night while watching the Eagles game too. 

The Eagles were up 13-7 in the 1st quarter and went for it on 4th and 1 on their own 40 and didnt get it. GB scored with the short field to tie the game. 

Had absolutely no problem with the call and was actually saying they should go for it while they were deciding. 

For the Jags, I really love the idea. Why would they want to go to OT with the Ravens? If the Ravens get to their 40yd line it's 3pts because of J Tucker. Chargers went for 2 because they had been poopy all day and had 3 yards to win a game, that imo, they shouldn't have won. Eff it! 

I just don't like when we get the retrospective arguments "well that's a bad decision" and the only backup to that argument is because it didn't work out, ya know? 

I didn't mind the Philly call to go for it on 4th, but I am not big on QB sneaks lol ... and didn't they sneak him twice in a row? 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, btownqb said:

For the Jags, I really love the idea. Why would they want to go to OT with the Ravens? If the Ravens get to their 40yd line it's 3pts because of J Tucker. Chargers went for 2 because they had been poopy all day and had 3 yards to win a game, that imo, they shouldn't have won. Eff it! 

I just don't like when we get the retrospective arguments "well that's a bad decision" and the only backup to that argument is because it didn't work out, ya know? 

I didn't mind the Philly call to go for it on 4th, but I am not big on QB sneaks lol ... and didn't they sneak him twice in a row? 

Agree on all fronts! The majority of the time it's the whether the decision was right or wrong, it's how the players executed. 

On the Philly one, yes QB sneaked twice in a row, but in defense Hurts had been something like 19 of 20 in that situation so far this season. 

• Like 2

Just now, BGleas said:

Agree on all fronts! The majority of the time it's the whether the decision was right or wrong, it's how the players executed. 

On the Philly one, yes QB sneaked twice in a row, but in defense Hurts had been something like 19 of 20 in that situation so far this season. 

Then they should sneak it every time and never listen to me! 

Just me personally, calling plays, playing QB... didn't love the QB sneak. Two pretty great defensive plays to stop Philly there, though. 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 9:57 AM, Seeking6 said:

Detroit and Seattle sitting on gold mines. Both have the bridge qb now they just need to draft the heir apparent with the capital they received from shipping their veteran signal caller.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

Then they should sneak it every time and never listen to me! 

Just me personally, calling plays, playing QB... didn't love the QB sneak. Two pretty great defensive plays to stop Philly there, though. 

Yeah…well it’s all relative imo. Stats are stats but they can’t or at least don’t take into consideration the moment and opponent that is happening. It’s overall numbers but today…hace you been able to beat that guy across from you and how tired that guy is and if your guard has a bum angle etc. lots go into those decisions and more often then not approve of whatever the coach decides as he knows his guys best…but yeah not sure how you go back to the well twice in a row same play call when you have so many other options with your athletic qb.

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Detroit and Seattle sitting on gold mines. Both have the bridge qb now they just need to draft the heir apparent with the capital they received from shipping their veteran signal caller.

I'm liking where my Bears are at. More cap room by double than next closest team and if season ended we would have top 3-4 pick. Spend free agency $ on Oline, trade back to whichever team will pay the world to get a QB....and still be able to take Carter from Georgia.