2023 NFL Discussion

rico

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

You can win with 80% of that list. Running backs are for the most part are interchangeable.

Depends on salary attached with it....but agree for the most part. I've never valued RB's that much...but give me 2 fast cheapies and spend the $ on the line and I can make that work.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I cannot wrap my head around the idea that paying Smith, Nelson, Kelly, Leonard was wrong. 

We had that money PLUS money for 20 million dollar QBs. 

$20m isn't much for a QB... 

And yeah, I could do without having the highest paid guard and highest paid off ball linebacker. One of those, sure, but not both. Good GMs make hard decisions. 

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

And yeah, I could do without having the highest paid guard and highest paid off ball linebacker. One of those, sure, but not both. Good GMs make hard decisions. 

Yeah I can't agree with that at all. You keep elite players and build around them, add to them. Nelson and Leonard are two of the top 30 players in the league. 

I agree, 20 million isn't much, I was saying that because Scott acted like we were so cash strapped.... but we still had enough to pay a pretty premium rate for Rivers, Ryan, and Wentz.. that was my point. 

55 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Basically let Brissett continue. We made the playoffs so it’s hard to blame Irsay but all we’ve done is kick the can down the road past several years. In the end we avoided what we will inevitably have to do anyways.

And now here we are trying to win with a washed matt Ryan.  Just tank.  It's over.  Tank next year too.  Swallow your pride Irsay and let this thing fix itself.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yeah I can't agree with that at all. You keep elite players and build around them, add to them. Nelson and Leonard are two of the top 30 players in the league. 

I agree, 20 million isn't much, I was saying that because Scott acted like we were so cash strapped.... but we still had enough to pay a pretty premium rate for Rivers, Ryan, and Wentz.. that was my point. 

That's fine that you are glad we kept them, championship teams let guys like that walk though when paying them a premium isn't in the best interest of the team. The fact that the Colts have refused to make those type of decisions under Ballard (because they made them when they were a championship caliber team) is the reason they're in this awful situation. 

We didn't pay a premium for those QBs, those guys all were on pretty team friendly QB deals. Look what good QBs make, then look what those guys make. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Agree on Lewan. 

Yannick is on pace for well over 10 sacks, Paye was on pace for 10+ sacks. They aren't Freeney or Mathis.... but 100% they aren't given the opportunity to pin their ears back nearly as often as some of these teams. I would say we have good edge rushers, but not great. There aren't a lot of great ones, and Kwity is still developing. 

I would take our starting DL over theirs. Even with Landry healthy. Barely, but I would still take ours. Throw in Dayo, Lewis as backups... 100% would take ours. 

I love Yannick as a person, but he's not a very good football player. He racks up sacks, but he sucks against the run and doesn't contain the QB. There is a reason a guy, who is by all accounts a great guy, is on his 5th team since 2019. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I love Yannick as a person, but he's not a very good football player. He racks up sacks, but he sucks against the run and doesn't contain the QB. There is a reason a guy, who is by all accounts a great guy, is on his 5th team since 2019. 

I think he is an excellent 2nd DE/4th best DL. And without the injury to Tyquan, who had played very well... I don't think Yannick would have played as much on 1st down. 

I agree, not great against the run. He did force a holding call off the top of my head on Monday, though. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I think he is an excellent 2nd DE/4th best DL. And without the injury to Tyquan, who had played very well... I don't think Yannick would have played as much on 1st down. 

I agree, not great against the run. He did force a holding call off the top of my head on Monday, though. 

Monday was his best game as a Colt, IMO. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

For sake of the conversation, I looked it up

Rivers 25 mil, Wentz 21.3, Ryan 24.7. 

Glad we didn't give up the treasure for a broken and badly beaten Stafford or the shell of the former Russell Wilson. 

Hindsight,  should have tanked.  Foresight says tank the rest of this and next.  And if next, go all in and trade some guys that will bring in the booty.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 1

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

For sake of the conversation, I looked it up

Rivers 25 mil, Wentz 21.3, Ryan 24.7. 

Glad we didn't give up the treasure for a broken and badly beaten Stafford or the shell of the former Russell Wilson. 

Hindsight,  should have tanked.  Foresight says tank tmrest of this and next.  And if next, go all in and trade some guys that will bring in the booty.  

I really like Buckner but in hindsight it might have been better to use the 13th pick as part of a trade up for a QB

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I really like Buckner but in hindsight it might have been better to use the 13th pick as part of a trade up for a QB

I do, too, but I don't know that he was worth trading a first round pick for. The pick that was ours that year ended up being Tristan Wirfs. That seems like it would have been better to have in hindsight. 

Second round that same draft we took Pittman and Taylor, who are both great, but both went in front of Jalen Hurts. Knowing we had Rivers for 1, maybe 2 years, Hurts theoretically would have been a great pick. Obviously Mack got hurt and Taylor became one of the best backs in the league, but Mack was coming off of an 1100 yard season and we had Hines. 

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I do, too, but I don't know that he was worth trading a first round pick for. The pick that was ours that year ended up being Tristan Wirfs. That seems like it would have been better to have in hindsight. 

Second round that same draft we took Pittman and Taylor, who are both great, but both went in front of Jalen Hurts. Knowing we had Rivers for 1, maybe 2 years, Hurts theoretically would have been a great pick. Obviously Mack got hurt and Taylor became one of the best backs in the league, but Mack was coming off of an 1100 yard season and we had Hines. 

The pick that SF got was a DT from South Carolina and he has been a bust 

5 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

And now here we are trying to win with a washed matt Ryan.  Just tank.  It's over.  Tank next year too.  Swallow your pride Irsay and let this thing fix itself.  

Well to be fair things don’t fix themselves. Good leadership fixes it. Cleveland and the Jets have had decades and not fixed it. The real issue might be that identifying and acquiring the right young qb in the draft can be the hardest thing to do as a GM…and instead of taking the difficult road Ballard has tried to take short cuts and take the easier road by trading and signing aging vets…and well it hasn’t worked. Ballard has sacrificed doing that hard thing for job security. Knowing you don’t get fired for putting competitive teams on the field but you do for losing and up until now he has avoided losing records. Now we are seeing his reluctance to do that hard work is costing the team.

Edited by dgambill

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Hindsight is always 20/20. Evaluating talent is a skill, but also a crapshoot. Look at the statistics and how many first round picks are busts.

I get a big kick out of posters playing the “what if” game. Everyone looks like a genius in retrospect 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Hindsight is always 20/20. Evaluating talent is a skill, but also a crapshoot. Look at the statistics and how many first round picks are busts.

I get a big kick out of posters playing the “what if” game. Everyone looks like a genius in retrospect 

I mean I wanted Hurts at the time, and I don't think it's unreasonable to say we should have picked a QB somewhere in the last 4 years since Luck retired. 

But sure, let's just not talk about past decisions because we don't want to look at hindsight...

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I mean I wanted Hurts at the time, and I don't think it's unreasonable to say we should have picked a QB somewhere in the last 4 years since Luck retired. 

But sure, let's just not talk about past decisions because we don't want to look at hindsight...

Right. You make decisions, move forward, live with the results, and learn from your mistakes. 
Woulda, shoulda,coulda is for the couch couch who has no skin in the game and can sit back and take potshots.

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Right. You make decisions, move forward, live with the results, and learn from your mistakes. 
Woulda, shoulda,coulda is for the couch couch who has no skin in the game and can sit back and take potshots.

It's a message board...

Of course Ballard has to live with his decisions, he also has to be evaluated by those decisions.

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Are you ever happy? 

You get mad when people talk about Purdue in a college basketball thread.

You get upset people critique an NFL GM in the NFL thread. 

You don't have to post in threads you don't like. 

I am happy with the results of the basketball game tonight. I am happy that CMW has United the program. I am happy that people here have no say so in the future of either the Colts or the IU football program. 

I am happy 

2 options for my viewing pleasure tonight. 

Option 1: entertaining, keeps me on the edge of my seat. Never know what's coming, suspenseful endings and can't wait until next week.

Option 2: same thing every week, predictable endings, very boring and puts me to sleep I feel like the same episode every week.  Hard to get excited for jext weeks.

With very careful consideration I will go with Option 1 tonight and enjoy an hour of Yellowstone!!