Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Also everyone use to say RMK offense was a slow down offense but I have to disagree with that.  In those older games in 87 we probably did not pass it more than 3 or 4 times before we shot.  The difference is that for the most part that you never had to take bad shots at the end of the shot clock.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Random note, was out to dinner tonight at Longhorn Steakhouse and who does my wife see hugging some people at a table by us, Coach Knight!  I have been lucky enough to see him out in town a few times

That scene on Saturday will go down as 1 of my favorite IU moments. It's really hard to see someone that you had always looked at as larger than life to look so frail. Hopefully we learn forgiveness t

Found this great Bob Knight quote today: Here is Bobby Knight on motivation: “The greatest motivator in the world is your ass on the bench. Ass meets bench, bench retains ass, ass transmits signa

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

A wound finally healed today. There's always going to be a scar, but nothing you can't look past. The General came home. 

You are a silver lining kind of guy I see.  Buckner's comments about this being a player thing and not a University thing leads me to believe that we may still have a bit of an issue.

All that said, it was good to get Coach back in the hall.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

You are a silver lining kind of guy I see.  Buckner's comments about this being a player thing and not a University thing leads me to believe that we may still have a bit of an issue.

All that said, it was good to get Coach back in the hall.

RMK was invited to many, many team/player functions on campus over the years, and declined to attend. Something changed. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I just have to much time on my hands since my kids are on there own and I am divorced so I watch these games.  I don't know how old you are but if you want to watch one of the best IU games ever watch the 81 game against Maryland.

IU Scott, I hope you are doing well!!  Divorce can be a real bear! I have a sister-in-law who is going through a tough time!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Beowulf50 said:

IU Scott, I hope you are doing well!!  Divorce can be a real bear! I have a sister-in-law who is going through a tough time!! 

No, I am happy and been divorced for 12 years but worried about raising my kids because eI had sole custody.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Pass.  45 seconds means teams will stand with it up top for 25 seconds before initiating anything.  35 may be the sweet spot

+1

For those that "can't stand the dribbling for 20 seconds", you'd be pulling your hair out watching the same for 35-40 seconds with a 45 second clock.. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zlinedavid said:

+1

For those that "can't stand the dribbling for 20 seconds", you'd be pulling your hair out watching the same for 35-40 seconds with a 45 second clock.. 

That is why coaches need to change how they run their offense and get into right away.  I just don't understand why coaches think this is the right way to run an offense.  Like NW did against PU the other night where they stopped running an offense the last 4 minutes and blew the game.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

No, I am happy and been divorced for 12 years but worried about raising my kids because eI had sole custody.

IU Scott, glad you are doing well! My sister in law and the rest of the family has to worry about a psycho! She has a gun.....hopefully she will let me teach her how to use it!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Beowulf50 said:

IU Scott, glad you are doing well! My sister in law and the rest of the family has to worry about a psycho! She has a gun.....hopefully she will let me teach her how to use it!!

That is terrible to have to worry about that and I am sorry she has to go through it.  I was very lucky that my ex did not fight anything and did not have to go through a bad divorce.  The only bad thing is that my kid shave not seen their mother for over 5 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

And he could have continued to meet with players, attend local events but stay away from official functions. 

Agree, his health was the key factor, but something in his head finally said "It's time". 

Again, I think that thing is his health.

I think it is clear that Coach Knight probably has the onset of dementia or alzheimers.  Seeing him out on the court today, he looked a bit confused at times.  I got a little choked up because things could have gone so much differently and honestly it was tough seeing him in that state.

He is kind of a representation of IU basketball.  You see those flashes of brilliance sometimes still but you see the deterioration setting in.  That guy was THE COACH from the minute I was born up through my senior year at Indiana.  And when he left he was still a fuery, smart as a whip guy.

Seriously, (expletive deleted) Myles Brand and the people who have run this school since 2000.  You know what today made clear, there are not many teams you would look back upon fondly since he was fired.  The youngest of those guys was around my age (AJ Guyton and Kirk Haston).  So much squandered time.

Having Coach Knight back was bittersweet.  I am elated he got a chance to be back while he still is lucid.  But today, with those guys back and then watching the current team....just a stark reminder of what has happened to this program since a bunch of pencil neck dicks like Myles Brand came and screwed things up.

I have my doubts that it will ever be the same again.  We cling to the past so hard because the present and near future offer so little.  We have people so starved for good Indiana basketball, they are forced to go to youtube and watch 30 and 40 year old games.  We were once mentioned in the same breath as Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke, and Kansas...now we get excited at the thought of just being 1 of the 68 teams that makes the tournament.  Miller is going to eventually get fired.  Thing is, the idiots running the show aren't going to allow for anybody better.  We're Iowa now.

Knight was just back to attend the funeral of what he built.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I have my doubts that it will ever be the same again.  We cling to the past so hard because the present and near future offer so little.  We have people so starved for good Indiana basketball, they are forced to go to youtube and watch 30 and 40 year old games.  We were once mentioned in the same breath as Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke, and Kansas...now we get excited at the thought of just being 1 of the 68 teams that makes the tournament.  Miller is going to eventually get fired.  Thing is, the idiots running the show aren't going to allow for anybody better.  We're Iowa now.

Knight was just back to attend the funeral of what he built.

RMK deserved better today.  The past players present deserved better today.  The state of Indiana deserved better today.  All IU fandom deserved better today.

CAM and the team wrote this epitaph with their uninspired effort on such an Epic day and we didn't even get an apology from either!

What a sad commentary on a previously storied program relegated to now to the science of Archeology!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

And he could have continued to meet with players, attend local events but stay away from official functions. 

Agree, his health was the key factor, but something in his head finally said "It's time". 

I think he just needed to get to a place in his soul where he felt comfortable coming back. It just took him time, maybe more than it would have taken us, who knows. But he had to reach that place on his own, I think.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

There were a few players not there that kind of surprised me.  

Landon Turner

Ray Tolbert

Kent Benson

Calbert Cheaney

Damon bailey

I was told Landon was going to be there.  Something must have happened.  And like you, I was surprised Landon was a no show. Really was looking forward to his being there, considering all that coach did for him.   But things can and do happen.

Not surprised about Benson.  He along with Calbert and Damon never came up in any conversation of mine that they would be there.

In the end.... it was great seeing the excitement on the faces of those that did show.  Seeing Sage and Dickie shedding tears as well.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I was told Landon was going to be there.  Something must have happened.  And like you, I was surprised Landon was a no show. Really was looking forward to his being there, considering all that coach did for him.   But things can and do happen.

Not surprised about Benson.  He along with Calbert and Damon never came up in any conversation of mine that they would be there.

In the end.... it was great seeing the excitement on the faces of those that did show.  Seeing Sage and Dickie shedding tears as well.

Calbert tweeted about it:  https://mobile.twitter.com/calbertcheaney?lang=en

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2020 at 12:28 PM, jblaz13 said:

I'm happy for you Billingsley! I pay attention and have an idea why this would mean a lot to you specifically. Are you going to be at the game?

 

 

Thank you. It does mean a lot to me and u am very thankful and happy Coach came home. I never thought I would see it happen. 

The wife gave me the green light to get goodntix for me and Ayden but with every thing going on in our world right now I just could not justify it. It would have been selfish.  

Watching the tribute videos I get get goosebumps just like the first time walking on that court. Regardless of the game, it was a great day for many IU and basketball fans in GENERAL

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...