IU Loses D-Line Coach Hagen

Indykev

Could be a short stint at Texas if they don't right the ship next year.  The honeymoon is over for Herman according to a national recruiting analyst I was listening to today. 

I guess he could try to create value for a jump to TAMU if Herman is fired, since his family apparently loves the state. Can't compete with that kind of budget. 

Shame to see him go. Hopefully our success continues and the recruiting momentum in state expands even more.

I might be the only one, but I'm not all that disappointed by this.  It seemed like our defensive line play was never what we hoped it would be.  We haven't been able to get any pressure with our linemen the last couple years.  I know everyone talks about his recruiting, and others might know who he helped with more than me, but it isn't like our DL commits are above any other position.  They're pretty much right in line with most of the other positions on the team.  Some good guys, some lower ranked guys.  Maybe he helped get guys at other positions too, don't care enough to look into it.  I don't see this as that big of a loss.

I've really liked the last 2 position hires with Wright and Jones, so I see this as a chance to get some new blood in and hire another really good coach.

20 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I might be the only one, but I'm not all that disappointed by this.  It seemed like our defensive line play was never what we hoped it would be.  We haven't been able to get any pressure with our linemen the last couple years.  I know everyone talks about his recruiting, and others might know who he helped with more than me, but it isn't like our DL commits are above any other position.  They're pretty much right in line with most of the other positions on the team.  Some good guys, some lower ranked guys.  Maybe he helped get guys at other positions too, don't care enough to look into it.  I don't see this as that big of a loss.

I've really liked the last 2 position hires with Wright and Jones, so I see this as a chance to get some new blood in and hire another really good coach.

I've been impressed with Allen's reach for new hires so I'm actually not worried about losing this one either. Strange feeling with IU football.  Haha

26 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Gotta agree. With Allen's deep state connections,  establishing the LEO culture, and fielding a winning team, I would think this is less of a blow than it would have been several years back.

Hate to lose such a seasoned Hoosier alum, but excited to see who Allen comes up with for a replacement.  Wonder if there are any former Ole Miss d line coaches that specializes in a vicious pass rush?

25 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I’m in the same boat as you. Very unimpressed with our DL, especially DE play. Ziemba didn’t record a sack all year and Head only had 2.5 sacks. Stallings had a decent year with 5 sacks. We had 27 sacks for the year and 14 came against Ball St, E Illinois, UConn and Rutgers. The other 9 games only 13 combined. While looking at the defensive stats, the most mind blowing is only 5 interceptions. Only 4 teams in the country finished with less with 4 interceptions. Have to figure out a way to get more pressure constantly to create more turnover opportunities.

1 hour ago, MPM said:

I’m in the same boat as you. Very unimpressed with our DL, especially DE play. Ziemba didn’t record a sack all year and Head only had 2.5 sacks. Stallings had a decent year with 5 sacks. We had 27 sacks for the year and 14 came against Ball St, E Illinois, UConn and Rutgers. The other 9 games only 13 combined. While looking at the defensive stats, the most mind blowing is only 5 interceptions. Only 4 teams in the country finished with less with 4 interceptions. Have to figure out a way to get more pressure constantly to create more turnover opportunities.

I noticed the same thing about the games.  We got sacks against bad teams, but against teams when we needed to get pressure, we could never get any.  It really seemed to stand out against MSU, OSU, Michigan, and Purdue.  We let their QBs sit in the pocket all day and do whatever they wanted to.  2 sacks against OSU, 0 sacks against MSU, 2 against Michigan, and 1 against Purdue.  5 sacks on over 150 drop backs.  That isn't going to get it done.

Like you said, the lack of interceptions was killer too.  When a Power 5 QB has all day to throw, they aren't going to throw many interceptions.  We need to do a lot better job of making QBs uncomfortable, and force them to make poor decisions.

If we can get pressure with just our defensive line and let our LBs and DBs have less time to cover, we could have a great defense.  I think Mullen and Taylor could lock down a lot of receivers if they have the time.  If that happens, and Jones can coach up the safeties like I am hoping, we could see some really good things from this defense.

Archived