Ronnie Walker Enters Transfer Portal...

Seeking6

I would still feel better if IU picked up a few more RB's to help bolster the "bull pin".  I really like teams that have that bruiser, bowling ball type of player for those short yardage/3rd down/ goal line options. Having Scott and James carrying the majority of the load per game is expected, but the season is long and physical. 

With the goal being to keep improving the top to bottom depth, this is just one of those instances of "those things working themselves out" 

The 2020 RB room has arguably as much potential as IU has ever had in any two RBs in the program at the same time. Seems to me that Walker likely won't be the last back who perhaps has to accept that they may not see the field so much as long as they're both at IU .  That is, if both Scott and James do what I feel they are capable of -  which would be both pushing the 1000 yard mark if them and the line stay healthy.

Plus with IU having others with a chance to play but more eligibility left than Walker- also set to be in the mix for carries behind Scott and James, one can clearly see why, at least.

Best wishes to Ronnie,  and thank you for choosing IU! 

23 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I would still feel better if IU picked up a few more RB's to help bolster the "bull pin".  I really like teams that have that bruiser, bowling ball type of player for those short yardage/3rd down/ goal line options. Having Scott and James carrying the majority of the load per game is expected, but the season is long and physical. 

Ellis is the next known quantity with enough(although not a ton)  experience having returns and carries at RB  to feel good about .

Before even getting into other young faces with enough talent recruited recently as ATH to make an emergency move to the backfield if a necessity were to arise.

I think they'll be fine on depth. I don't think losing either Walker's experience or talent hurts too much as of now. Even on top of those (Gest's experience , and Winters talent) who left prior. 

45 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I saw where Auburn's leading rusher has put his name in the transfer portal so maybe we could look at him.

In case anyone is keeping score, we have now lost our highest rated OL since they started rankings, our 2nd highest rated RB, and a QB who is the #4 passer in program history...and I don't feel like it will have much/any impact on the upcoming season unless there are injuries.  The depth we have this coming year is as good as I've ever seen it.

4 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

Wow...im starting to see a pattern here..🤔

In the first year of the portal, there were 1,942 players who entered the portal.  Even if we counted our couple during the season, we're at a pretty low number.

Also, all of ours are for playing time reasons.  3 running backs behind Scott and James (Walker, Winters, Gest), backup QB, and an OL who seemed like he was going to have to change positions due to a talented freshman.  A lot of teams have had much more valuable transfers.  I really liked all the guys we had transfer, but there was a lot of competition at their position.  If we started losing guys who were clear returning starters, then I'd be worried.  Guys like Fryfogle, Cam Jones, Reese Taylor, James Miller, etc.  Those are the kinds of guys I look at.  If starters like that were transferring, then start worrying.

The last think I'll worry about with Allen is guys leaving.  His LEO mindset really does seem to be sitting well with players and recruits.  They genuinely seem to like Allen and what he preaches.

9 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

In the first year of the portal, there were 1,942 players who entered the portal.  Even if we counted our couple during the season, we're at a pretty low number.

Also, all of ours are for playing time reasons.  3 running backs behind Scott and James (Walker, Winters, Gest), backup QB, and an OL who seemed like he was going to have to change positions due to a talented freshman.  A lot of teams have had much more valuable transfers.  I really liked all the guys we had transfer, but there was a lot of competition at their position.  If we started losing guys who were clear returning starters, then I'd be worried.  Guys like Fryfogle, Cam Jones, Reese Taylor, James Miller, etc.  Those are the kinds of guys I look at.  If starters like that were transferring, then start worrying.

The last think I'll worry about with Allen is guys leaving.  His LEO mindset really does seem to be sitting well with players and recruits.  They genuinely seem to like Allen and what he preaches.

I get what your saying..my pattern comments were more toward the players that are leaving...A starter in Conk,Ramsey..to me this was big considering what he did as a starter after Penix went down...If Penix goes down again we won’t have the luxury of Ramsey waiting to come in...Walker seemed like a reasonable RB...someone like Gest I get transferring,he had problems with injures..down on the depth chart..be good for him to get a fresh start.

14 hours ago, Indykev said:

A team this big and we have 3 or 4. No issue. Va. Tech. Has 19 in the portal. That's an issue.

Yep. Honestly if we only have 3-4 each year I'm ok with it. Sometimes players just don't pan out, sometimes coaches miss on a recruit....and sometimes others step up and seize the chance to start and flourish. All are understandable. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Honestly if we only have 3-4 each year I'm ok with it. Sometimes players just don't pan out, sometimes coaches miss on a recruit....and sometimes others step up and seize the chance to start and flourish. All are understandable. 

Or sometime you have a Stevie Scott in front of you or you get recruited over.

Archived